Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on building new ho layout 13x32 feet.have 80 locos few hundred in rolling stock.gona be dc benchwork half done.I have no idea why this section stays dead when model raolroading is probably the most consistant hobby

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dcc locos have no balls. I can pull 30 loaded coal cars with 3 athrean BB units takes 5 gen dcc locos to pull the same with wheel slippage struggling. Cost 2nd reason I have a ton invested in dc.3rd its old school switching

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dcc not for me anybody can hit a button dcc made it easier with less wireing but my opinion took fun away from it

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
I used to agree. I had a 90% completed DC layout with double throw-double pole switched to control blocking, great momentum throttles, and at that time, 7 of the powerhouse 2-8-8-2 locos I had repainted, super-detailed and with lots of weight added. I modified ONE with DCC for use on a friends layout. No change in performance. I have 4 plastic steamer that came with DCC, or were at least DCC ready. I had more control of the engine's motor by toying with the CV's. I tore out the crappy wiring harnesses that most plastic steamers have for a directly wired Digitrax harness soldered right to all the needed connections. The tender is more permanently attached to the engines on all those I modified. (Bachmann USRA Heavy 4-8-2, with tender swapped from lifelike Y3, and a Spectrum J. The J has its motor to be as tightly controlled and un lagging on the hills as it will go. The momentum is lighter, as its a smaller engine than a N&W Y class loco. The 4-8-2 is also set to lag a little while going up the grades. Neither of my BLI Y6b's lag at all. My Y3's have a limited top speed of about 40mph, which is prototypical. Same for the Brass 4-8-0's a brass 2-8-0 and a brass 4-8-2 K3. The 4-8-0's sag a lot, and so does the 2-8-0. The brass 4-8-2 is a N&W K3. It was a poor design, and couldn't be used about 35 mph because of bad counter-weighting problems, it caused the 3rd driver to bounce at about 40 mph! I DON'T use sound, as it drives me crazy in about 45 minutes.

With infra-red and RF throttles I don't nee to be plugged in to control 2 trains at once. I don't consist my steam either, I'd rather use typical practices to push a heavy coal drag over the hills by carefully observing the coupler slack, etc. No more block BS, I can send a loco into a tunnel to rescue a slipping loco and train because unlike DC their is no polarity issues.

I may be somewhat different than many model RR'ers but MOST of my steam is pre-dcc, so I have to set them up myself. I have a fleet of Powerhouse 2-8-8-2's (12) and I first replaced all the tender trucks with better brass ones to which I added wipers to the wheels. I use Grain of Dust bulbs in the back of an MV Lens to simulate the headlights. All of them are semi-permenantly attached to their tenders.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well time for update building a 2nd level for passenger trains only haven't got my 1st level main lines complete yet eather

1 - 10 of 10 Posts