Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been looking for a cheaper lap counting system for home use.
Has anyone heard or seen this? I saw it on ebay and follow the link. Looks like some "low" cost alternative to AMB. What do you guys think? Here's a cut & paste from the website www.rclapcounter.com
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanx
Henry E.

Lap Counter System for R/C Race Cars

Fits any car from a Mini-Z up to 1/8 scale.

After searching for an affordable lap counting system for my track and not finding one, I decided to build my own.​

Our Lap counting system uses microprocessors and infrared light to detect individual cars as they pass under the timing bridge. There are no laser pointers to align or flags sticking out above the cars!

Each car is outfitted with a small infrared transponder that runs off the receiver power. No charging necessary!​

The transponders fit inside the body under a clear section.

Covers track widths up to 60" or up to 74" with optional extra timing bridge sensors.​
Other widths available.
The host controller is powered by any 4-cell ni-cad or ni-mh pack. AC wall plug optional.

Email [email protected] for more info.

I have included some pictures as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
This looks/sounds very much like a multi-transponder version of the Team Orion Pro LCS system I use for Oval practice... The LCS works very well, but since it is an infrared system, "line of sight" is an issue -- the receiver must be able to "see" the transonder/emitter for the lap to count... Another car or a corner marshal can get in the way and block the signal, causing a missed lap.

On the other hand, the LCS certainly DOES work, so the concept of an infrared system should be pretty solid...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a Orion personal lap counter. Did'nt know that they have a "multi-user" system available. I was thinking of getting a bunch of friends in the basement for some racing. I will have to check Orion. Thanx

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Oops - I didn't mean ORION had a "multi-user" system, just that this new system seemed like someone ELSE had taken the Orion LCS concept and turned it into such a system... Sorry if my wording was misleading....

·
Registered
12 Posts
This system is not compatible with the ORION system, even though it also uses infrared.

The infrared link is between the transponder in the car and the timing bridge over the track. Another car or corner marshal cannot block the signal unless it is on top of the first car or trips over the bridge and knocks it over.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pepe said:
A track in the basement now there's an Idea.
1500 sq/ft should be plenty for 1/18th xray micro, mini-t or the new reedy rc18 4wd micro truck. Just thinking of ways to get over the winter blues and have some fun. The only indoor track in the area went out of business recently. I've heard that the one in Knoxville is not going to make it either this winter. The nearest one is Sandhills and thats over 3+ hrs ride.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CraigG said:
This system is not compatible with the ORION system, even though it also uses infrared.

The infrared link is between the transponder in the car and the timing bridge over the track. Another car or corner marshal cannot block the signal unless it is on top of the first car or trips over the bridge and knocks it over.
CRAIG::::It sounds like you know more about this system. Can you please elaborate more on this. Do you have picture of the transponder mounted on the car? The website show the transponder wrap in plastic and does not look like to have any mounting hardware. What is the minimal distance between the receiver on the bridge? How about the ground clearance, distance between the bridge and the track surface. Iam asking this to figure out the minimum optimal distance to have to be able to make it work on my basement. Any track else where been using this system? Thanx

·
Registered
12 Posts
I designed and build this system.

The only pics I have is for my cars. I designed this for my rental track and always run the same 8 cars and bodies.
I mounted mine directly to the bodies under the windshield with zip-ties. The windows were already painted so I scraped a 3/4" square of paint off over the sensor.
There is an extra unpainted body over the painted one to protect it. These are older transponders, the new ones are narrower. The body is a BRP 1/18th scale.
I've attached 2 pictures.

They can also be mounted to a flat surface of the chassis where it can see through the body with two-way tape or velcro.

The bridge sensors should be 13" above the track surface for the average size car.
In addition to my track, there is one running in Nova Scotia (See the bottom of my web page) and one in W. Virginia. 5 more have just shipped or are about to be shipped. I should have feedback from them soon.

Attachments

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Craig:::: What will it cost to have>>>>Host controller, 6 transponder,6 bridge sensor, AC power option, 50 ft cable shipped to TN ? What lap counting software are you using?

·
Registered
12 Posts
All of the pricing info is at the bottom of the web page.
Transponders: 6 x 45 = 270
Bridge sensors 6 x 13 = 78
AC Power = 20
50 foot cable = 20
Host controller = 200 - These are normally 225 but I have some on ebay starting at 200. You don't need to bid.
total is 588, shipping is about $8.00 (actual shipping charges)

I recommend Laps Free, it is what I used to test when adding the AMB protocol. I personally use a program I wrote for my track. It does not track lap times, just total # of laps and works the sound effects.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Craig said:
1/8th scale outdoors?
I have not tested this yet because I don't have any 1/8 cars.

I used it outdoors most of the time, usually under a canopy for my protection. Sunlight is easy to deal with with some simple shading.
The system is mathematically capable of detecting multiple cars at well over 115 MPH so I don't see why it wouldn't work, I just haven't tested it yet to be able to guarantee it.
Offroad cars present a challenge because a spot of mud over the transponder will block the transmission and the bridge would have to be in a spot where the cars are fairly level and stable.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
CRAIG:::::: Are the transponders marked or numbered for easy identification? How do you deal with this situation?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts