Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen this on the Round 2 site, but I was just looking at their 2009/2010 catalog (in PDF form) and I saw they have the K-7 space station listed in a normal box and also in the collector tin. I have always wanted this and whenever I see one on eBay, it's always be on my price range, so this is pretty exciting.

http://round2models.com/files/r2m-catalog2010.pdf

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I don't know what the current price they go for on eBay but a couple of years ago I paid that eBay price for the K-7. OUCH! But I'm glad now to get a chance to get another one. At a fraction of the price. OUCH. But that's the chance you take with old, old kits. After so many re-pops of the other kits and not this one made me feel it would never see the light of day agian.

I just had to have it like the Ramulan BOP. Another OUCH. Now if they would only re-issue it too, things would be in balance in Federation space.

Man-o-man, if I could only live another 200 yrs.! So many models, so little time.

Hal9001-

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I think I saw that R2 is planing on reissuing ALL the trek kit from AMT. So the romulan should be soon. They had a poll up on the R2 web site about the favorite old kits, and the romulan was top. It would be nice to have the old exploration set again, as inaccurate as it was.

I consider myself lucky. I was just starting to think about picking up a moonbus when Moebius made the announcement.

Today is a good day to build trek models!

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
I already have enough parts to build the K-7, as well as two resin ones, so I don't need it. The Romulan Bird of Prey, I have an old kit to rework, so don't need one. The Exploration Set, I have the full size with lights and sound, and I am happy with that. So, no thanks.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
The R2 blog indicated that the exploration kit was a non-starter due to the innaccuracy and the diamond select versions. Even as a 7yr old I had to use lots of imagination to make those pieces good.

Paid $75 for a BoP a few yrs ago, but would buy a new release. I've got the Larson K-7, but will also get and build the upcoming release. Are there any other amt kits left after those, apart from the D-7 and Galileo, both of which are relatively cheap and plentiful on ebay?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the exploration set as a kid and enjoyed building it and playing with it, the inaccuracies didn't really bother me as it was fun to play with. It would be nice to have another one just for a time capsule type of model, but not for what they are going for on eBay.

I was thinking of scratch building a K-7, but now that they are going to be re-released, I will just wait and get one of those, much easier and also to help support them, it's great they are releasing all of these again.

Didn't AMT also make the Command Bridge? That's another one I have always wanted, whenever I did look on eBay, they always seemed to be going for more than I was willing to pay, but recently they seem to have really dropped in price. How is it as a model? Is the fit okay and is it somewhat accurate? I was looking at one of the newer releases helping the decals would be in better shape.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Command Bridge

Didn't AMT also make the Command Bridge? That's another one I have always wanted, whenever I did look on eBay, they always seemed to be going for more than I was willing to pay, but recently they seem to have really dropped in price. How is it as a model? Is the fit okay and is it somewhat accurate? I was looking at one of the newer releases helping the decals would be in better shape.
As a model, the command bridge is a pretty generic representation of the actual television series set. I have the kit, plus a "bridge accurization kit" that was produced by Thomas Models many years ago. John Zizolfo is the real authority on this subject as far as I am concerned however, and you can check out his work here: http://www.zizolfo.com/models/bridge.html John did a lot of research on the bridge and identified many of its' flaws; as far as accuracy is concerned. Still yet, if you build this kit straight out of the box, you will have a decent representation of the original set.

Marc :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
A re-pop means I won't have to try to pry off the remaining glue-welded parts to be able to light one up!! Retro-fitting a lighting set up into a built up kit with easily damaged clear parts isn't easy... and this model certainly has proving challenging in that regard. A re-pop means I'll have a second chance, with a virgin kit! LOL!

I still have to find a way to re-attach the broken arm pieces, though. The original set up was a fairly minimalist approach with tenuous attachment between the arms and main body. It may take a bit of "brute force" internal reinforcement to get it to work properly.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
It's too bad this kit is so far off the mark--the shapes and proportions just don't match the miniature.
In which case, like the BoP, it can be thought of as a different class or earlier/later version. No, it's not K-7 of course. No arguments there and it's too bad. I'll be interested to see the diff between this and the Larson K-7 after all these years. Havent had this plastic since, oh, 1976 or so...

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
if it looks like it, I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
As a model, the command bridge is a pretty generic representation of the actual television series set. I have the kit, plus a "bridge accurization kit" that was produced by Thomas Models many years ago. John Zizolfo is the real authority on this subject as far as I am concerned however, and you can check out his work here: http://www.zizolfo.com/models/bridge.html John did a lot of research on the bridge and identified many of its' flaws; as far as accuracy is concerned. Still yet, if you build this kit straight out of the box, you will have a decent representation of the original set.

Marc :thumbsup:

So is John Zizolfo a member here?

I noticed he makes some accuratizing parts for the R2 K-7 re-release.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Glad that they are re-releasing the K 7, but wish that they made it more accurate like the Larson kit.
Is there any current reliable info on the "Larson kit?"

I understand it was produced under the company name minimodelmadness.

The only thing I can find out about it is that the old website is dead.

There is a redirect website that leads to a page where there are zero details on the model and no contact info at all.

All you can do is click to buy and send money into a non-descript paypall account.

Not exactly a bright idea to buy blind like that.

At least I wouldn't do it.

It could be a recaster for all I could tell. :freak:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts