Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
www.tsdsinc.com
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OFFICIALLY LICENSED AND APPROVED!

Available the second week of January…

THE ULTIMATE JUPITER 2 FUSION CORE / DOME LIGHTING SYSTEM FOR THE MOEBIUS JUPITER 2 MODEL!
32 LIGHTS IN THE CORE, 8 LIGHTS IN THE DOME!
PLUG and PLAY! NO WIRING, NO SOLDERING, FITS RIGHT IN! VERY EASY TO INSTALL!
Featuring 3 speeds (slow / medium / fast) and consisting of 40 LED’s, and 9V battery operated! Quite a bit of time was spent engineering this lighting kit – to make it perfect and worthy of this exceptional model. It even has a hole in the center of the dome light so you can still use the sensor that comes with the kit. There is plenty of cable allowing you to remove the upper hull and set it aside the model, and it includes a quick-disconnect that will allow you to actually sever the connection if you need to. The power switch is a very tiny on/off swich, and some momentary buttons that allow you to switch between speed modes. It has been officially licensed and approved, and I am presently in the middle of the manufacturing process.

The first batch will arrive sometime around January 9th. I should know final pricing in the next week or so.

Check out the following video to see it in action!:

http://www.tsdsinc.com/images/TSDS_J2_CORE.AVI

I also have a launch pad kit and a premium decal / detail kit available -- more info on that over in the Moebius Forum.

Thanks for looking!

--Henry

Attachments

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
OUTSTANDING henry !!!!! once again you come through for us to make our models the best they can be ! Knowing your high quality of research that goes into each product you make, these will be an absolute must for the new Jupiter 2 !
Bert

·
www.tsdsinc.com
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OUTSTANDING henry !!!!! once again you come through for us to make our models the best they can be ! Knowing your high quality of research that goes into each product you make, these will be an absolute must for the new Jupiter 2 !
Bert
Hi Bert --

Yes, the programming alone went through about 10 revisions until I had this one, which I'm VERY happy with!

--Henry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello TSDS, Inc.

Very nice. I have a couple of questions regarding the positioning of the LEDs on your company’s fusion core lighting. Why are the LEDs positioned well inboard from all of the apertures instead of being positioned behind the canted apertures and above the horizontal ones? Would the positioning of the LEDs as shown in the first photo provide a better lighting effect? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello TSDS, Inc.

OK...here are the two photos I downloaded a couple of years ago and wanted to include with my first post. Again, thank you in advance.

·
www.tsdsinc.com
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello TSDS, Inc.

Very nice. I have a couple of questions regarding the positioning of the LEDs on your company’s fusion core lighting. Why are the LEDs positioned well inboard from all of the apertures instead of being positioned behind the canted apertures and above the horizontal ones? Would the positioning of the LEDs as shown in the first photo provide a better lighting effect? Thank you in advance.
Hi --

The photo in the ad is of the prototype. The actual production kit will (hopefully) have the LED's positioned about 3-4mm closer to the edge.

In the original J2 prop, the incandesant (sp?) light bulbs being used did not have a lens incorporated into them, and light would go in all directions -- outwards as well as sideways. I believe that in order to keep light bleed to a minimum, they were mounted right at the very edge of the core. This would also allow for maximum visibility and brightness.

With LED's, the light is more directional and extremly bright. I did want a tiny bit of light bleed shared between frames to help re-create the original effect -- and the best way to do this was to mount the LED's about 5mm or so back from the far edge of the core. Although the actual LED chase sequence is difficult to film at a low resolution, the original lighting effect is duplicated nicely in a smaller scale with this configuration. Believe me -- I tried a lot of different things before settling on this layout.

It's very interesting that you caught this -- no one else has even asked about it!

--Henry

·
Registered
25 Posts
a Must Have

Looks great!! Already have the kit, but this is an absolute necessity, won't be building until this comes out....where's the end of the line? :thumbsup:

·
www.tsdsinc.com
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks great!! Already have the kit, but this is an absolute necessity, won't be building until this comes out....where's the end of the line? :thumbsup:
Hi -

Well, there is no line -- I'm just waiting to get them from the manufacturer! I've been perhaps a bit too picky with the circuit design and performance, so it's been through about a dozen revisions... once I'd finally signed off on it, we were approaching the holiday season. Consequently, I won't have them until about the second week of January. I'll be sure to post something both here and in the Moebius forum when I have them in hand. Or you can keep an eye on my website (in the sig below).

Thanks,

--Henry

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I've seen the Video of the core and even though I'm a mechanical bulb kind of guy, I will HAVE to get one as it seems to be perfect for the 2nd Jupiter 2 as year three in space, with the interior and NO GEAR!!! I plan to use it as the "far shot- In space" version of the Jupiter 2, and It'll sit on Henry's superb Launch Gantry as a display piece. I look at the Gear Hero as the reference Jupiter 2 and all other aspects are just filmed to support the main Hero. The "Toss Around" Jupiter 2 (13" model) was more of a Gemini 12 by the large fusion core and more flattened shape but The Moebius is fine too. So I'll end up with two Jupiter 2's that capture the saucer without being contradictory. Version 1 with Scrim Interior and Hero Legs match the reference, and version 2 w/out gear as In Space and "Toss Around" but with interior.

Henry's Gantry:
Have you seen the kit? It's SUPERB!! I have a Polar Lights 1 foot Model I built to test the lights in the core stuff and it's PERFECT for displaying the Jupiter 2. for those who are building the Moebius Jupiter 2, You want to display the model as landed then I would hope you used the HERO GEAR (that is spot on) to the Hero's and display it on that yellow circle. The Gantry is perfect to display the "in Space" Jupiter 2 and when both are super-detailed with lights and such, make quite a believable display. You can almost see the Security officer in the dumpster after Smith knocked him out.

·
www.tsdsinc.com
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the kind words, Mark.

However, to tell the truth, I think you are the kind of guy that could take some crude pieces of plastic and make something nice out of it, regardless of the manufacturers intentions / limitations! Your launch pad came out MUCH nicer than my "display" version -- I should be using pictures of YOURS to sell it, but I was worried that doing so would misrepsent what is in the package! My buildup at least looks like what you average modeler will get from the kit!

Did you get ICE for Christmas down there in Virginia? We got a nasty bit of it up here ... Thankfully, the wife gave me a copy of Stephen King's latest, "Under The Dome". It looks like he really went to town on this one -- it is REALLY thick and promises to be a good, long read.

--Henry

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Henry -

I'd like to ask a question about your lighting kit - is the color of the LEDs really blue, or does it just appear that way in the video. If they are indeed blue, why did you choose that color. The original incandescent bulbs were obviously white - I just wondered how you settled on blue instead.

Not meaning to criticise, just inquire. It's a terrific light kit all the same.

Bryan

·
www.tsdsinc.com
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Henry -

I'd like to ask a question about your lighting kit - is the color of the LEDs really blue, or does it just appear that way in the video. If they are indeed blue, why did you choose that color. The original incandescent bulbs were obviously white - I just wondered how you settled on blue instead.

Not meaning to criticise, just inquire. It's a terrific light kit all the same.

Bryan
Hi Bryan --

It's the video photography or something relating to the FPS or light spectrum that is off due to the speed it is being filmed versus the speed of the chase sequence at the time the video was taken. I believe the camera "dimmed" the chase lights somewhat in an attempt to find a balanced exposure level. Doing so may have created the blue-ish illusion. The lights are NOT blue, but are BRIGHT WHITE. Very bright white, actually. The hull of my Jupiter 2 is a white primer, so that should tell you something is hinky in the color of the video. LED's in motion are hard to film with a digital camera in "video" mode, which might be why they look blue in the video. Also, there is nothing inside the hull but the floor piece, and the indirect lighting from the core light rotation makes the interior look blue-ish as well. The importance of the video is being able to show the motion of the chase sequence, so I was not worried a lot about a minor odd shift in color.

However, you are the only one to have noticed -- or at least the only one to point it out! You must have a very observant eye... :freak:

Take a look at this pic. It is just a photo, taken in standard "photo" mode rather than in "video" mode. As you can see, they are white indeed! So, no need to worry, all is well.

--Henry

Attachments

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Hi Bryan --

It's the video photography or something relating to the FPS or light spectrum that is off due to the speed it is being filmed versus the speed of the chase sequence at the time the video was taken. I believe the camera "dimmed" the chase lights somewhat in an attempt to find a balanced exposure level. Doing so may have created the blue-ish illusion. The lights are NOT blue, but are BRIGHT WHITE. Very bright white, actually. The hull of my Jupiter 2 is a white primer, so that should tell you something is hinky in the color of the video. LED's in motion are hard to film with a digital camera in "video" mode, which might be why they look blue in the video. Also, there is nothing inside the hull but the floor piece, and the indirect lighting from the core light rotation makes the interior look blue-ish as well. The importance of the video is being able to show the motion of the chase sequence, so I was not worried a lot about a minor odd shift in color.

However, you are the only one to have noticed -- or at least the only one to point it out! You must have a very observant eye... :freak:

Take a look at this pic. It is just a photo, taken in standard "photo" mode rather than in "video" mode. As you can see, they are white indeed! So, no need to worry, all is well.
Henry -

Thanks for the explanation and the photo - it helps a lot!

Bryan

·
Registered
24 Posts
I may be in error and I hope others chime in on this, but all of my resources indicate 8 lights chasing not 4 as you have in your kit currently displayed on your website. Which is correct? I know things change from episode to episode, but I really want to make mine as accurate as possible.

My concern comes from seeing other fusion cores created by other companies over the years for the Polar Lights J2 and even Lunar Models J2 which display 8 chasing LED's.

In fact there is another company out there that is selling a fusion core for the Moeebius J2 with 8 chasing LED's

Thanks in advance,

1 - 20 of 109 Posts