Hobbyist Forums banner

41 - 60 of 2063 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
What's this control console??
And like I said in a previous thread we may now end a controversy on the true color of the 11 footer.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
We have photos of the control console that were taken when 3 cratefuls of Enterprise parts (and the Tholian ship) arrived at the museum in April 1974. Today there is no trace of the console anywhere. That would NEVER happen today. I think part of the problem is that back then, the Enterprise was regarded more as a novelty, and not as the historic icon that it's regarded today.

I've been trying to let go of my preconceptions regarding the model, and go where the evidence takes me.

Gary
That's the right approach. Having preconceptions can backfire and make one ignore objective truth, due to the emotional attachment. :)

It's a hard thing to do, no doubt about it.

As to the console, it may well be one of the thousands of mis-marked or unmarked items in storage at the main Smithsonian. That's where pop culture items usually go (Archie Bunker's chair as one historical example). It would not shock me if there was a lack of communication between NA&SM and main Smithsonian. I'm sure management would claim everything is carefully covered but you and I know how bureaucracy works, the turf wars, the 'Chinese Wall' of non-sharing information.

(How do I know? We subscribed for years to the Smithsonian magazine. I never read it but the parents did. Never ONCE did they solicit subs to Air & Space Smithsonian. A magazine I DO buy. You'd think once, once they would send out a feeler, right? Nope.)

Speaking of which, maybe to get some publicity there should be a 'update' column about this restoration in A&S. Given the anniversary of Star Trek that might garner increased subs and donations. Someone should put a word in an ear. :)

Never Give Up, Gary! You're doing noble work! :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
What's this control console??
That's the console that is visible in some behind-the-scenes photos from the 60's. It arrived at the museum in 1974, and if I had to guess, I'd say somebody at the museum decided that the console was superfluous because they wouldn't use once the 11-footer was on display. The console is probably in the basement of somebody who used to work at Rogay, or it's deep in a landfill in the DC area.

Gary

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
The control console was literally a console that controlled the lighting, nacelle motors, etc.
And I'm thinking much could be learned from the switches and rheostats, the voltage and amperage and tolerances, how many operations were controlled, maybe even an operational guide or notes taped inside a door or something.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Great work Gary!

Any chance of a photo of the control console?

Keep this stuff coming!
Sorry, but that's one of the photos that are restricted for the museum's use only. The console has slider controls for items such as saucer lights, pod lights, pod motors, nav lights, etc.

Gary

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I am totally enthralled by this thread. I'm not an over the top Trek fan, I do enjoy it and love the ships, so this is more of a historical pop culture fascination than a "I can model a kit perfectly" interest. I'll be staying glued to it (pun not intended nor implied) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Sorry, but that's one of the photos that are restricted for the museum's use only. The console has slider controls for items such as saucer lights, pod lights, pod motors, nav lights, etc.

Gary
This is probably the most sad part of this journey. I understand it has to do with conditions agreed to by the donating individuals, there are any number of reasons why a person might not want these restricted pictures shared to the masses, but, damn, ya know? It's not government or trade secrets after all.

And I could be wrong and it's CBS/Viacom/Paramount embargoing them for that 'unseen pictures from Star Trek' magazine/book that's still being solicited by Amazon for later in the year.

I imagine you can't even say one way or the other due to NDAs built into your work agreement.

I mean, DAMN, y'all! :)

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
A replica console in a scale matching the 1/350 as it represents the 11 footer would a great diorama...

Agreed, which is why long ago I had suggested that was the way to display the Enterprise at the museum. Context. Show 'behind the curtain' and all that, even if that means the left side has the visible trench and wires held to the model with gaffer's tape.

I don't think that's what we're going to get. I suspect they'll finish the left side. Maybe not.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
And I could be wrong and it's CBS/Viacom/Paramount embargoing them for that 'unseen pictures from Star Trek' magazine/book that's still being solicited by Amazon for later in the year.
Nope, it wasn't CBS. In fact, one of the main CBS licensing guys is on the restoration committee and has been extraordinarily helpful in smoothing the path and helping to "make good things happen."

When the dust has settled, the public will be granted access to the photos that belong to the museum. Other private individuals & organizations are willing to help with the restoration, but don't want their photos made public, and the museum has to respect their wishes.

Gary

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Agreed, which is why long ago I had suggested that was the way to display the Enterprise at the museum. Context. Show 'behind the curtain' and all that, even if that means the left side has the visible trench and wires held to the model with gaffer's tape.

I don't think that's what we're going to get. I suspect they'll finish the left side. Maybe not.
Wouldn't you like to know? <insert evil laugh here>

I think the current plan is rather innovative. Who would have suspected that they would suspend the Enterprise by wires from an overhead track and fly it all around the museum? :)

Gary

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Based on this description of the control box by Craig Thompson (from the William S. McCullars IDIC page article on the 1972 exhibition):

"When we picked up the model for display, it had a rather large and very heavy metal electrical control box that stood upright on the floor. I'd say about waist high by 2 1/2 feet wide and 9 to 10 inches deep--I may be way off here--it's been a long time."​

I assumed that the control box is at bottom center in the attached photo I had downloaded from another thread on this site (now forgotten).
That's it - except has a much better copy!

Gary

·
Registered
864 Posts
Wonderful info, Gary! Thanks for sharing.

Having confirmation on the tinting of the domes is great. The photos from the studio series, like the one seen above, always looked tinted to me, but being black and white, who could be certain? I'd love to see these in the higher resolution versions you have now!

M.
(Who is possessing his soul in patience...)

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Nope, it wasn't CBS. In fact, one of the main CBS licensing guys is on the restoration committee and has been extraordinarily helpful in smoothing the path and helping to "make good things happen."

When the dust has settled, the public will be granted access to the photos that belong to the museum. Other private individuals & organizations are willing to help with the restoration, but don't want their photos made public, and the museum has to respect their wishes.

Gary
I get that, but it doesn't stop me from feeling sad over it.

I mean, OK, so there's good fellowship from CBS on the project and that should eliminate the 'fear of being sued or property being seized' aspect, so what remains is the usual two motivations fans have, the 'power and control' issue and the 'I want to monetize this and nothing but a big paycheck will move me' issue.

Either way, kinda sucks to be us. :)

I hope at least these people/orgs have plans for these pics (and whatever other materials) for when they pass on.

41 - 60 of 2063 Posts