Hobbyist Forums banner

2081 - 2098 of 2098 Posts

·
Starship Class
11,871 Posts
as is the nature of my namesake, i've noticed an edit on this page in the last few days...concerning white outer non orange domes. no biggie. good to strive for accuracy....
I think there's been more knowledge becoming widespread and part of the general conversation since the "Wheel of Fortune" posting.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Now somebody tell me, are the domes supposed to be clear or tinted orange?:
-Jim G.G.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Looks frosted on the outside and orange on the inside........

·
Starship Class
11,871 Posts
And my impressions from the original photos is that the tint was just a wee bit more reddish than the orange on the refurbished model.

Reactions: RossW

·
Administrator
28,864 Posts
as is the nature of my namesake, i've noticed an edit on this page in the last few days...concerning white outer non orange domes. no biggie. good to strive for accuracy....
Which post # does this refer to?

the info is on the very first page very first post lol.
Yes it is. But a few posts down on the first page of this thread are some (deleted) edited posts with one being quoted still - that references the wooden nacelles from the pilot episode. In this post the same orange ink color is noted to have been used to paint those wooden nacelles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
from what i've seen on the cultvman painting guide and related articles(written by gary), the original pilot domes were a red ink color.

as far as what post on the previous page was edited, it's best we or i just let it go...

the info on the frosted orange domes is the ultimate subject of this thread first post

·
Registered
308 Posts
But a few posts down on the first page of this thread are some (deleted) edited posts with one being quoted still - that references the wooden nacelles from the pilot episode. In this post the same orange ink color is noted to have been used to paint those wooden nacelles.
Not actually. The same BRAND.

·
Administrator
28,864 Posts
I sit before my key board corrected, but it is still possible the same orange ink color was used. Is there a reference or listing of which color Pelikan ink(s) were used?

·
Administrator
28,864 Posts
So seeing the photo and reading the reference about the pilot nacelles, I can see why there is so much conversation about the 'red' color of them. It is not the shade of red I would envision if just told they were red. I could go for a brick red but they are brown overall. More specifically 8 shades of brown, 2 of red and one orange to my eyes. And a darker gray/black. Perhaps the modern day references of Harvest Brown and Fireweed depending on your model year configuration desired are more accurate terms to use.

·
Starship Class
11,871 Posts
So seeing the photo and reading the reference about the pilot nacelles, I can see why there is so much conversation about the 'red' color of them. It is not the shade of red I would envision if just told they were red. I could go for a brick red but they are brown overall. More specifically 8 shades of brown, 2 of red and one orange to my eyes. And a darker gray/black. Perhaps the modern day references of Harvest Brown and Fireweed depending on your model year configuration desired are more accurate terms to use.
Yeah, I think they were going for something of a "swirly" effect with the paint to try to convey energy processes going on inside but, without a lighting effect, it didn't really come off when viewed on television.

It's interesting to look at some the early test lighting effects that were rejected which seem to be going for a swirling effect, IIRC, behind the dome.

·
Starship Class
11,871 Posts
2081 - 2098 of 2098 Posts