Hobbyist Forums banner

2061 - 2075 of 2075 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all! Is there anyone still in here? I just spent 2 weeks reading the posts and replies from beginning to end. What a great time, and so much information! I still have questions. :)
- J.R. Aiello

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think it's just that all the information has been given, so there's nothing new to bring up. This has now become sort of a resource thread.

But, as stated above, have questions? Just ask.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys. Sorry, I guess I didn't expect anyone to really be here! Thanks for the responses. Believe it or not I've been on this site for 10 years, I just never checked in on it. And I was here before that but had to sign up again in 2009 when I finally found it again. Slacker, I know... anyway...

Did Steve ever get his coffee table book? haha
I read that there was a photo during restoration (along with witnesses) about the nacelle domes being removed and a color photo of the end WITH the lights still in it. I know that it was a private one and wouldn't be public after the restoration, but Gary said he got a good look at it. Was there ever a drawing/diagram of this? I would be interested because there's something like 20 lights (with the minis) in there, IIRC.

Gary did finally put out the painting guide, right? That's the one that showed up on CultTVMan? Was that the final say/version?

Good to be here! I will make sure to check in regularly.
J.R.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I would love to know if the coffee table book is still in the works! If it is, then an estimate on publication date and where to purchase. Thank you

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
I would love to know if the coffee table book is still in the works! If it is, then an estimate on publication date and where to purchase. Thank you
AS far as I know there is no plans for any such book, more's the pity. I had lobbied for one because I felt all the work that was done, all the research, all the knowledge that was gained deserved to be memorialized in a more permanent medium, a fitting tribute to the Enterprise.

It seems that not only is there no interest in that happening, but my suggesting it was a subject of mockery and ridicule.

And I'm sure there are all manner of roadblocks that make for an easy excuse to not even try. CBS/Viacom/Paramount has to be dealt with, The Smithsonian has its own specifications and regulations, there's the matter of all the privately held and thus 'top secret' material that was used but cannot be exposed to we common people* and so on.
So no book. But you know, things change. Who knows.

*That sounds bitter I know. I fully understand someone who might have special or exclusive information such as photographs, slides, home movies, private correspondence and such like feeling possessive, or concerned that publicly revealing same might open them to legal action, and the ever-popular concern that it will be put on the internet and suddenly EVERYBODY 'owns' it and they would not get just and proper compensation. My argument is that knowledge is meant to be shared otherwise it vanishes.That's why we HAVE museums. And books.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
A very sad commentary on publishing and preservation of history. Museums are to preserve history, make it known and we all benefit. Not repeatedly making mistakes and learning are all key attributes of a "learned " society.
I for one would live that book!
Persevere and if you need a volunteer to help, my hand is raised!

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
A very sad commentary on publishing and preservation of history. Museums are to preserve history, make it known and we all benefit. Not repeatedly making mistakes and learning are all key attributes of a "learned " society.
I for one would live that book!
Persevere and if you need a volunteer to help, my hand is raised!
Ahhhh...ummmm. hm.

Thank you for the kind words and support, but it would not be me doing this book. It would be others, those more involved in the restoration. Myself, I would suggest and support Gary K. if he were so inclined. He's a solid researcher and a decent writer and of course he was there during the process, so he would KNOW how even minor, perhaps forgettable details matter, His articles on the making of the 1/350 Enterprise model kit were very well done (and I can't recall if I got the 4th and last segment...this is another thing that deserved its own book).

So thank you again. I suspect the pleas for a book should go to CBS/Paramount/Viacom's publishing or publicity department, and the Smithsonian Air and Space museum, I can't do a thing about it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Probably asked and answered in the 2000+ posts here but does anyone know if the Bussard fans were stand alone sheet metal pieces or indeed part of a "dome", as pulled off of the 1991 restoration, and if an "inner dome" was that part frosted/sand blasted as well, as it appears to have been for the 91 restoration?

As the original domes have been gone for years, I was curious, as this would also affect light diffusion

·
Registered
75 Posts
Probably asked and answered in the 2000+ posts here but does anyone know if the Bussard fans were stand alone sheet metal pieces or indeed part of a "dome", as pulled off of the 1991 restoration, and if an "inner dome" was that part frosted/sand blasted as well, as it appears to have been for the 91 restoration?

As the original domes have been gone for years, I was curious, as this would also affect light diffusion
never mind … found it on page 32. o
Only took about 2 hours as I randomly searched the pages. While I enjoy reading it all, talk about going off topic...:D

·
Registered
75 Posts

never mind … found it on page 32. o
Only took about 2 hours as I randomly searched the pages. While I enjoy reading it all, talk about going off topic...:D

Make that page 23… and on this thread I believe there were actually 3 posts related to nacelles... no, wait.. there were 7...😂

2061 - 2075 of 2075 Posts