Hobbyist Forums banner

2041 - 2060 of 2068 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
I think all you'd need is the Blu-ray device and an HDMI cable connecting it to your receiver. At least that's how my "theater" is set up: TV, DVR box, PS3 all connected to 5/1 receiver w/ HDMI cables. You'd just need to make sure your receiver has enough HDMI inputs.
I agree that a dislike of newer entertainment is a silly reason to avoid Bluray (a dislike I share), especially when lots of older stuff is available on BD.

But adding BD to an already existing system requires that all devices in the chain are HDCP compliant, for a lot of people this means replacing fully capable TVs and receivers. I went through this to put a BD drive in my computer, I needed a new monitor and video card to make it work.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I guess if you don't have an HDTV, sure. No reason to upgrade if your TV can't display it. But, I have an ancient surround sound receiver that still works for my audio sources. True, it doesn't have any HDMI inputs, so no video switching, but all my HD sources feed directly to my TV, so it acts as the video switcher. Laserdisc and CD player (yes, I still own those) still feed through the receiver.

But this is OT, so back to the Enterprise.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
My devices input to the TV and then the TV audio goes to the receiver. But, just wait a bit. Physical media probably won't be around much longer. The only 4K video I watch at home is Netflix.
It's very true. The Studios frantically want to kill off physical media, even in the face of the billions of Dollars they've made on it all these years-to the point that in any number of cases movies that failed (or just under performed) at the box office ended up making a profit (oops, no movie ever makes a profit, remember? :) ) thanks to physical home video media.

They've always resented home video, since day one. Now they can get back to their preferred business model-complete control. No more watching a movie when you want and not paying. No more watching a movie even tho they wish to 'retire' it for a time (the Disney Vault model).

*sigh*

Anyway, yeah, back to the beautiful gray lady. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
https://imgur.com/gallery/xaa6V

These are the pictures I was expecting earlier and was disappointed in so few released at the time of the unveiling. They aren't quite as large as some of the previous pictures.

There are some interesting details I hadn't noticed before. There seems to be a small white pin-stripe outlining the saucer landing gear to paint an outer area. The "vent systems door" looks as if it really is a door. It appears to be recessed. The question then is; could this have been originally considered to be a window.

The window above the #1837 has a green block inside the hull giving the window a green tint.

·
Registered
126 Posts
For the record - did anyone ever give the exact number of coloured lights used in the TOS nacelles (not the always-on lights, which were 5, but the coloured Christmas tree lights that flashed)? I presume the restoration used the number they derived, but none of the pics make clear how many that was.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,048 (Edited)
https://imgur.com/gallery/xaa6V

These are the pictures I was expecting earlier and was disappointed in so few released at the time of the unveiling. They aren't quite as large as some of the previous pictures.

There are some interesting details I hadn't noticed before. There seems to be a small white pin-stripe outlining the saucer landing gear to paint an outer area. The "vent systems door" looks as if it really is a door. It appears to be recessed. The question then is; could this have been originally considered to be a window.
The pin-striping around the landing gear covers is dark gray (same color as the impulse deck) on the Production model, and medium gray (same as the gray markings under the fronts of the nacelles) on the Pilot versions. You were looking at light-colored masking tape in Bill's & my photos.

The "vent systems door" is actually the bare Royalite plastic that comprises the saucer. It's recessed only by the thickness of the layers of paint that have been applied over the years.

Gary

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,049
For the record - did anyone ever give the exact number of coloured lights used in the TOS nacelles (not the always-on lights, which were 5, but the coloured Christmas tree lights that flashed)? I presume the restoration used the number they derived, but none of the pics make clear how many that was.
The guy at Golden West College who replaced the burned-out bulbs in 1972 estimated 16-24 bulbs per nacelle. There's a way to exactly count the number of bulbs, and I'm still pursuing that lead.

Gary

·
Registered
270 Posts
What does it say of us being so obsessed with such minute details. But, the series came out just before entering the military and I watched the later episodes aboard ship. Since it was the Most realistic type sci-fi show I was hooked. It was many years later before I saw 2001 so it was only Star Trek that was memorable for quite some time. Also, I never had the chance to see 2001 on the big screen. I believe that experience would have been awesome.

·
Registered
591 Posts
What does it say of us being so obsessed with such minute details. But, the series came out just before entering the military and I watched the later episodes aboard ship. Since it was the Most realistic type sci-fi show I was hooked. It was many years later before I saw 2001 so it was only Star Trek that was memorable for quite some time. Also, I never had the chance to see 2001 on the big screen. I believe that experience would have been awesome.
Yeah, 2001 in a theatre is a much more immersive experience. Doesn't make a heck of a lot more sense, but it is more immersive.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi All,

I know it's been a long while since anyone has posted here but, I want to know if Gary has had the chance to complete a model paint conversion of the Smithsonian colors yet? I understand he was in the early stages of doing so the last time he posted here, and I was curious of any progress.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
99 Posts
Personally for me, it's a bargain to see the special effects element (moving) footage in excellent quality for under $100 dollars for the player, disc and cables. I am really into that sort of thing but I understand that not everyone shares that passion (well, actually the obsession, lol)

Old post I know, but WOW! :surprise:I love these HD effects shots! I wish that with this footage available, CBS/Paramount will revisit TOS and maybe give it a newer HD transfer and a new Bluray version. Of course, it looks pretty darn good now, but I keep wishing it could be a bit better.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi All,

I know it's been a long while since anyone has posted here but, I want to know if Gary has had the chance to complete a model paint conversion of the Smithsonian colors yet? I understand he was in the early stages of doing so the last time he posted here, and I was curious of any progress.

Thanks,

Tom
Gary and I are Facebook friends. I'll ask him.

2041 - 2060 of 2068 Posts