Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm new here and was wondering if some people could help me with your vast expertise. ^-^ I was out yesterday and picked up a couple of hotwheels from the 60's, 70's and 80's and I was wondering if I could get a rough value/identification on them. I'm sure none of them are worth a fortune, but even if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful. Is there a good guide to help ID vintage Hotwheels?

Anyway, onto the pictures!

First up: (from newest to oldest)

From 1983 - "Thailand"
A purple Joker Car w/red windows and red rims. Paint is wonderful on it, with minimal chipping (just a tiny bit on the back middle part, and a small scuff on each of the front part above the wheels)

Secondly,

Not-So-Funny Car - 1977, Malaysia; Decals are good, with some scuffs here and there. The top raises up and shows off the engine. The pins that hold the two sets of wheels are both slightly bent. The rims are painted red.

To be continued with the other two...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next up!

From 1969, a Chevy Nomad from China. Reads "Crash Dummies", "822", and "Prototype" on it. It has silver rims, though the front wheels look like they may just a touch rusty in the center. Side decals look great, and there are just a couple of minor chips in the paint on the corners of the car.

And finally, another car from 1969, a Twin Mill from Thailand. the paint is pristine, there are no scuffs/chips that I can see and the decals look brand new. The decals read "Alien Artifact Recon Unit"

Sorry for all the questions and pictures! If you have any info on even one of the cars, or can point me in the right direction, I would very much appreciate it!

Blessings!

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
The twin mill is not from 69, more late 80's to mid 90's..Same with the nomad, if these were 69's they would have spectraflame original paint, and be worth alot..

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Welcome to Hobby Talk.
A guide for diecast that might help you is http://www.southtexasdiecast.com/hwguide.html
I wish you luck on your search.
The twin mill is not from 1969. To help a little bit; you need to look at the base and find out if it is metal or plastic. Since the twin mill has a plastic base it is a newer casting which should help you when searching for a price.
Unless there has been a wheel swap, the tires and rims point to mid to late 1990's. Crash Dummies was a cartoon in the 90's and the joker car looks to be a repop during the second Batman movie.
I am sorry I could not give you any more information than this.
Best of luck,
Richard

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
The Crash Dummies Nomad is a 2004 and the type of wheels give you an idea of the rest. The year on the base is usually the year when the copyright for the casting was first secured, not when the version of the car was made. The Funny car for example looks quite recent too, just going by the wheels. My first look in those cases usually goes to www.hotwheels.wikia.com and then to google if it's not on there.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi Cloud Weaver

In regards to HW, the year on the baseplate is usually the original year of production.
It can get confusing. Many of the cars you found originally came out as part of the HW Redlines hence the late 1960s bse date.
The Funny Car originally came out in 1977.
If you like to collect HW, you should get yourself the latest Tomarts guide to distinguish each casting
Good luc!

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
yea, judging by the wheels on all these...

I'd say all these are from post-1990's... if not all from post 2000's

·
Registered
388 Posts
Here you go, in order:

Speed Machine 2004 Batman 5-Pk Mtflk. Purple w/Joker Tampos on Hood and Top Rear w/RedY5's

Side-Splitter 2003 Crazed Clowns Series #4 Yellow w/Red 5SP's

Classic Nomad 2004 Smashville 5-Pk Blue w/Crash Dummies & '822' tampos w/5SP's

Twin Mill 2007 Truckin' Transporters Satin Green, w/Dk. Red, Red, Orange, & White tampos w/'Alien Artifact Recon Unit' on top, Black Thailand Base, w/Gold5SP's

Not worth much in that condition. If they were mint they'd be worth $.50 - $1.00 loose.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
When you are looking at Hot Wheels, check the base.
China, Malaysia, Macau, etc = new stuff
Hong Kong or USA are older stuff.

These cars are the condition that I just bag them up four to a bag and ask $1 a bag.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Welcome!

A little extra information on the "Not So Funny Car" you have there: it was originally known as the Ford Probe Funny Car, and it was first released in 1990. The 1977 base is actually a generic base that HW has used on multiple funny car castings (such as the Firebird Funny Car).

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Welcome to Hobbytalk.com Cloud Weaver Congrats. Nice Finds Congrats.:wave::thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts