Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

First time post here. It looks like a bunch of good info to be had here.

I was wondering if someone could help me out with identifiying a diecast. I came across this at a flea market the other day. I had one when I was young and lost it. I know there were a few different types in the set. One (that my brother had) was a rocket on wheels that had wings that popped out with a push of a button. Anyway I am trying to locate a set for my son.

Here are some pics of the one I got at the flea market. There are no identifying marks on it.

Interestingly enough, this one has a "tire" that has broken off the wheel just like the one I had as a child.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
Wild looking. Never seen it myself.
Welcome to HT

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
That looks like something that one would use to burrow toward Pellucidar, the land "at the center of the earth" in Edgar Rice Burroughs science fiction stories. Any hollow-earth fanatics here who could corroborate?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome to Hobbytalk and the discussion board, lshowell. You've certainly picked a real conversation piece to start out with. I was thinking the same thing as Tone about it being the boaring vehicle in "Journey to the Center of the Earth". Unfortunately, I can't offer any clues as to what it really is either, but I'll be watching this thread to find out if someone else can put a name to it. Thanks for the interesting conversation piece.

Roy in TX.:)

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
I know exactly what that piece is; It's a Turbo Mega Drillamator Core-a-matic 2000, made by an obscure Korean manufacturer in 1965. There were two variations - one with a metric borer and one with an SAE. The metric was made for world-wide distribution, while the SAE was only available at a two store chain in western Montana for a week and a half. This version goes for a gazillion billion dollars the few times one shows up on the 'Bay, while the metric version is readily available for a buck twenty two on any street corner in America.

Just kiddin' (couldn't resist), hope someone can seriously answer your query.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
I just remembered wht this kind of reminds me of. One of my favorite T.V. shows from when I was a preschooler (The other being Rat Patrol, thank God we did not have Barney back then). Anyway, The Thunderbirds Jet Mole. It is a little different, one being it has wheels and the jet mole rode on top of a tank chassis but otherwise the shape looks pretty close.
Best I have been able to come up with.

·
Premium Member
14,810 Posts
What a great way to make an entrance the the forum Ishowell! Stumping everyone so far with this diecast toy. I wonder if the star and the number 55 on the top of the toy mean anything?

Welcome aboard! :wave:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think Atencio nailed it. I found these two pics. is this the one your brother had?

Instead of two tires on those wheels, could it have had a "rubberband" like a tank tread? Maybe this is a knock off of the thunderbirds molecar. Kind of a dollar store generic? I'll keep digging (Ha! no pun intended!)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I would like to
1. Welcome you to hobbytalk Ishowell
2. Thanks for stumping all of us toy collectors to the point of making us look foolish, Congratulations!

I will say this, is looks really rare and cool whatever it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys are on with the Thunderbirds. I came across this on ebay:

It looks like the exact same only sitting on the blue tracked contraption. I believe the one I have is a knock off of the Thunderbirds due to not having any Thunderbirds markings on it. Thanks for the help!

Toy Vettes,

That's it, only it was about the same size as the "mole" I have above and it was on wheels.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
301 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome to the club! What part of CT are you from, I use to live in Kent, about 40 minutes north of Danbuy! :wave:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts