Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Wait for 'em. I'm sure they will be even harder to produce in volumn. Prolly 10 gazillion dollars each.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
That may be cool but I'd want to have it packaged like it was the crown jewels.

Aluminum is extremely easy to dent and it's one of the most difficult metals to do body work on. You can't make an invisible repair on spun aluminum without painting it...and if you're going to paint it, why bother with spun aluminum anyway. Aluminum is subject to work hardening more than any other common metal.

Anybody ordering one of these better hope it arrives in perfect condition and fits perfectly because you do NOT want to do any body work, dent removal or scratch repair on this material.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Brent Gair said:
That may be cool but I'd want to have it packaged like it was the crown jewels.

Aluminum is extremely easy to dent and it's one of the most difficult metals to do body work on. You can't make an invisible repair on spun aluminum without painting it...and if you're going to paint it, why bother with spun aluminum anyway. Aluminum is subject to work hardening more than any other common metal.

Anybody ordering one of these better hope it arrives in perfect condition and fits perfectly because you do NOT want to do any body work, dent removal or scratch repair on this material.
I want my four-foot J2 turned from solid, weapons-grade plutonium. ;)

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I'd rather mine get turned in Brass, or Titanium alloy... But a good stiff industrial plastic would do. I'd rather have a metal casting than a turning.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
model maker said:
i checked their website and i couldn't find any price lists for their stuff, how do you find this out ? i wonder what the aluminum J 2 will cost.
It is described as "custom", and a "project", done "as time allows". That's trial balloonese. If you want one, clamor now.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Y3a said:
I'd rather mine get turned in Brass, or Titanium alloy... But a good stiff industrial plastic would do. I'd rather have a metal casting than a turning.
I'm sure there's a bell foundry that can accomodate you. How many tons will your SFX crane lift?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Brent Gair said:
...Aluminum is extremely easy to dent and it's one of the most difficult metals to do body work on. You can't make an invisible repair on spun aluminum without painting it...and if you're going to paint it, why bother with spun aluminum anyway. Aluminum is subject to work hardening more than any other common metal.

Although I have not tried to solder aluminum, and I gather that certain 5xxx and 6xxx alloys are difficult, or impossible, to solder, I have otherwise found aluminum to be pretty easy to work.

It is true, that the striations from spinning would make it desirable to completely refinish a repaired part. But, repair or no, one may want to smooth the finish anyway, to accurately represent the prototype. That does not mean painting, necessarily. One could sand and polish, or beadblast. And, if one did paint, there is the major advantage of being able to bake the paint on, to give a much tougher finish.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
toyroy said:
It is true, that the striations from spinning would make it desirable to completely refinish a repaired part. ... That does not mean painting, necessarily. One could sand and polish, or beadblast...
I stand by my comment that you can't make an invisible repair to spun aluminum without painting it.

If you want to paint it anyway, no problem. But there is no way to correct a flaw and preserve the metal finish.

I've never bead blasted a piece of aluminum sheet metal that didn't warp in the process. And spun aluminum is sheet metal. I can't imagine that there is a sheet metal master who could so succesfully level an aluminum dent that the resulting repair could be sanded or polished to invisibility.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Y3a said:
Bozoing aside, a spun J2 is something I have been thinking of, since high school machine shop. Aluminum and stainless steel have topped my list, on account of natural color, and corrosion resistance. But, it could be done in brass, copper, or mild steel, if one were to plate, or paint it.

For spinning, one needs, in this case, two "bucks" made up. These are the forms against which the spinning metal is forced. This is the extent of the special tooling required, and SFM obviously has them, already.

There is an important question for potential customers. I see in SFMs pictures that the "project" spun hull has many cutouts, including the aft porthole, and the pod door. If the hull were to be offered as a kit, I would certainly not want some of these cutouts.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Brent Gair said:
I stand by my comment that you can't make an invisible repair to spun aluminum without painting it.

If you want to paint it anyway, no problem. But there is no way to correct a flaw and preserve the metal finish.

I've never bead blasted a piece of aluminum sheet metal that didn't warp in the process. And spun aluminum is sheet metal. I can't imagine that there is a sheet metal master who could so succesfully level an aluminum dent that the resulting repair could be sanded or polished to invisibility.
Curses! I stood to make MILLIONS from those scratched and dented lampshades that looked like the Jupiter 2. Now, I'm RUINED!

NOTE: The foregoing was another feeble-minded attempt at humor, at MY OWN expense. No lampshades were actually harmed, and no offense, toward ANYONE, was intended.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
toyroy said:
I'm sure there's a bell foundry that can accomodate you. How many tons will your SFX crane lift?
You can CAST parts VERY THIN. A spun Brass job would be easy to solder to, and the spinning process would make the brass harder than just as cast.

BTW- I DON'T DO BOZO-ing...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts