Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent ages trying to design a machined metal or injection molded plastic PE bending tool that improves on the currently available ones, but is more affordable. I succeeded in the improvements, but failed at making it more affordable until ...

I was inspired by a PE bending brake made out of PE itself. Taking that idea and running I came up with PhotoFold.

It carries an MSRP of $31.95 and will be shipping on or about August 1. For more info and preordering visit here: http://www.paragrafix.biz/product_detail.asp?PPartNum=pft-5

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
And about two days before I even expect it.

This last big batch of PE is really nice. The little translucent inlays for the spinner are amazing!

Steve

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Paulbo, I've studied it and I guess I'm missing the obvious. Does the larger (back) piece bend back and forth like a real break? If so, wouldn't that eventualy break into? And what holds the 'bending form' piece in place to prevent it from sliding?

I went to your site and studied the pics and like I said I guess I'm missing the obvious. Too, it rest on four 'feet', would it not sag in the middle? I have a nack for making the easy, hard! :( Sounds like you put a lot of thought behind it.

Thanks for any help,
hal9001-

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paulbo, I've studied it and I guess I'm missing the obvious. Does the larger (back) piece bend back and forth like a real break? If so, wouldn't that eventualy break into?
Yes, it does bend just like a "real" bending brake. It won't break in two, though, because they are two separate pieces - the vertical pieces on the ends hold the hinge "pins" rather than it simply being a single piece of metal that folds back and forth (which, being full hard stainless would snap on the third of fourth bend).

And what holds the 'bending form' piece in place to prevent it from sliding?
99% of the time finger pressure is enough to do it. A simple binder clip can be used for the remaining 1% of bends.

...Too, it rest on four 'feet', would it not sag in the middle?
As noted above, it's made out of full hard stainless steel. There is no sagging. Also (not shown in the pictures) there is an interlocking lip at the interface between the two plates to keep them aligned.

...Sounds like you put a lot of thought behind it...
That I did. I've got 4 or 5 sets of plans on my hard drive for "conventional" bending tools (both clamp and razor types like the EtchMate 3 and Hold and Fold and bending brake style) that I couldn't make work economically. I put all of that research/design work into this new design that was inspired by the work of a guy in Ireland.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Ya know, I've been in a lotta hobby shops over the years. And I try to always ask for a bender tool.

I swear, they all look at me like I just shot their dog and cussed out their grandma.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Would the "guy in Ireland" be RB Productions?

I do like how the one plate slides into place under the tabs.

Nice work!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I'll get one next week and take pics. That will show how robust it is. (you can 'kinda see the thickness in Paul's pics)
Great price great idea.

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks all!

Yes, JohnF - I was inspired by RB's pieces and would actually be distributing his, but his volume discount was strictly the percentage that a hobby shop usually gets, not a distributor so there'd be no way for me to actually become a "distributor", just a retailer.

Steve - the photos are from my proof master sheet which I did to ensure everything fit the way I anticipated. A few from that sheet are spoken for (photos for the instructions and another for a video). I'll shoot one over to you on Monday (the instructions won't be with it, but I think you'll see how it goes together ... or you could just wait 'til I finish up the instructions).

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
O.K. I get now! I didn't want to assume there were two pieces, but that was the only thing that made sense. Thanks for clarifying that Paulbo, and all the other concerns.

hal9001-

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
That is extremely cool and also downright brilliant. I hope you have a patent pending on it. Otherwise all of us here will be remembering "when" every time we see one of these on EBay cheap from China.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
I can think of so many other uses for this cool little tool, just placed my preorder, thanks.....:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've just posted a video showing how to assemble and use PhotoFold. I've shipped some from the prototype run (luckily, there were no changes required) and wholesale orders should be shipping this coming week.

P.S. What a pisser - I've changed the default "thumbnail" for the video but it seems to be taking a while to update.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts