most wanted scale for Firefox model .....the full scale Fox is 63' long or 756"

• 1/48 scale- 15.750" long exactly

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • 1/32 scale- 23.625" long exactly

Votes: 20 38.5%

New Firefox model,Perhaps a real scale

7K views 68 replies 21 participants last post by  rocketeer390 
#1 ·
ok most of you know i'm buiulding a studio casting of the Firefox this is 21" long or 1/36 scale yes a odd scale but the plane is 63' long so this works out lol for film anyway
so knowing this is an off scale, What would most fans want for a scale model of the plane 1/48 or 1/32 scale....just so you know i have to make a decision based on majority in a few hours so make you vote count...tanks for lookin
William

#4 ·
Actually, 1/36th is a perfectly logical scale. That's three feet to the inch. Very easy to calculate scale lengths.

It also makes sense if you're doing high-speed photography. Since camera speed is based on the square root of the scale, 1/36th is 6 times normal speed. Again, easy to calculate.

Just because it hasn't been traditionally used for commercial model kits doesn't make it "odd."

#7 ·
BEBruns said:
Actually, 1/36th is a perfectly logical scale. That's three feet to the inch. Very easy to calculate scale lengths.

It also makes sense if you're doing high-speed photography. Since camera speed is based on the square root of the scale, 1/36th is 6 times normal speed. Again, easy to calculate.

Just because it hasn't been traditionally used for commercial model kits doesn't make it "odd."
Um. Yes it does. If it's the only 1/36 scale commercial model plane kit in the world, it's definitely the odd one. :)

#11 ·
I guess that's the difference between a model builder and a model assembler.

[DUCKS]

Don't worry, I'm usually in the assembler category. But frankly, I don't understand the fetish about having everything in the same scale. To me, the scale should be based on two things: Is it big enough to show detail? Is it small enough to be displayed?

And while we're talking about standard scales, there's something I've been wondering about. Most scales I understand. 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 are all multiples of 1/2. 1/24, 1/48, 1/72 are all multiples of 12 (x feet per inch). I even understand 1/25, 1/100 x 4. But how did 1/35 become a standard scale? It seems like a purposefully clumsy scale to work in.

#13 ·
Trek Ace said:
Geez. Am I the ONLY one that would like 1/32 scale? :(
Once I finish my Trumpeter F-105, I won't have shelf space for anything else that big!

Don't worry, I'm usually in the assembler category. But frankly, I don't understand the fetish about having everything in the same scale. To me, the scale should be based on two things: Is it big enough to show detail? Is it small enough to be displayed?
Likewise, those of us who like constant scale don't understand why people can't understand it :D.

When you have a shelf full of airplanes, you want them to be in their proper relative sizes to each other so you can see how they compare. Simple as that. And very important to some people.

#16 ·
By all means then go for the larger scale, the more detail the better. I do build 1/48 though also for my son but the 1/32 I build mainly for me for the detail factor. I still have the A-10 to finish along with the F-16, F-16XL, and F-5 just to name a few in 32 scale. I'm just hoping you will sell to me because I am friends with Thomas Sasser (unlike a couple other companies that won't sell to me because of that)

#17 ·
I try and strive to remain nuetral as possible in the modeling industry,never had any disputes with thomas and he did design my lovely lol webpage hence all the Toms everywhere.... GRRRRRR
Best ,plane to make this kit available to all interested, just not sure of price yet...stay tuned :)
William

#18 ·
capt Locknar said:
By all means then go for the larger scale, the more detail the better. I do build 1/48 though also for my son but the 1/32 I build mainly for me for the detail factor. I still have the A-10 to finish along with the F-16, F-16XL, and F-5 just to name a few in 32 scale. I'm just hoping you will sell to me because I am friends with Thomas Sasser (unlike a couple other companies that won't sell to me because of that)
You know that 1/32 F-16XL is an inaccurate piece of crap, don't cha? I had it years ago (there's only one made, so it has to be the same). The real plane is 5 feet longer than a stock F-16. That XL kit is the same length (basically a pirated copy of the regular Hasegawa kit), and the wings are the wrong size and shape to compensate. Sad, really. I wish someone would come out with an accurate one in 1/48.

#19 ·
John P said:
. . .The real plane is 5 feet longer than a stock F-16. That XL kit is the same length (basically a pirated copy of the regular Hasegawa kit), and the wings are the wrong size and shape to compensate. Sad, really. I wish someone would come out with an accurate one in 1/48.
But is it recognizable as an F-16? Isn't that what really matters? Hmm? :freak:

#20 ·
John P said:
You know that 1/32 F-16XL is an inaccurate piece of crap, don't cha? I had it years ago (there's only one made, so it has to be the same). The real plane is 5 feet longer than a stock F-16. That XL kit is the same length (basically a pirated copy of the regular Hasegawa kit), and the wings are the wrong size and shape to compensate. Sad, really. I wish someone would come out with an accurate one in 1/48.
Yeah it is a peice of crap model. Revells version if I remember correctly, can't find the box right now. I built mine gear up and the doors don't even match the contours of the lower fuselage at all and I ended up having to putty it all in and rescribing the doors. Not a good kit but its the only one I could find of the XL and its always been my favorite along with the B-58, f-101 and F-20

#21 ·
Firefox scale decided

Well,
Been a while, But I did go with the larger scale. It will be easier to get crazy with all the details I want the model to have. So it's 1/32 scale, and it's progressing nicely.
It's a little rough, but you will see it's right. This is an early shot of all the parts,yes, it's wood.....but this is only the pattern..couple pics to give you an idea.
William

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.