1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,553 Posts
Nice Redlines Finds Congrats.:wave::thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
All of them are in very good condition. Congrats on the finds and buys.
The aqua Python without a motor and pink Whip Creamer are my two favorites.
You've got several there that are not very common as well. The orange enamel McLaren M6A and the pink Whip Creamer are tough to come across.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Awesome! I really want to get into the older Hot Wheels and Matchbox. On average, what would I expect to pay for cars like these in that condition?

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome! I really want to get into the older Hot Wheels and Matchbox. On average, what would I expect to pay for cars like these in that condition?
First, study the subject that you want to collect. Get a good book. The one I use is "The Elite Redline Guide" by Jack Clark and Syd Belzberg. You'll probably have sticker shock reading this book but remember the cars shown and talked about are near mint to mint. And they'll tell you if there is an odd duck in the bunch that could be worth more and what to look for (like my brown interior McLaren).

On average I've paid from about $5.00 to $15 for the average Redline. Some of it is luck, (the purple Ford J-Car w/Tan interior, $8.77 + $5 s&h.). For some , that's a lot of money for one car. For others a drop in the bucket but considering that it has a tan interior and not many had that color, I was lucky. The gold J-Car, Orange Twin Mill and the Rose Silhouette I paid $21.95 + $5 shipping and spread the cost out over three cars. The Hot Pink Whip Creamer I paid straight up $35 w/free shipping as a buy-it-now. Some I've paid .99 for all the way up to $127.53 for my blue Cord. It just depends on how many people may want that car, plus they don't give Cord's away!

Also, find some people in your area that collect redlines and pick their brain. There are a lot of good people in this hobby, learn what you can from them. Who knows, you might find your next friend who could turn you on to some smok'n deals! Hell, if you have any questions, pick mine. I'll be glad to help.

Here are two guys that helped me out when I was getting started buying on eBay. I trust them and have never been burned buy them. Treat them with respect and they'll treat you with respect and they are the two I use the most for my redlines.

dru-god

cowbuc33

Now go out there and find you some nice Redlines!

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Very informative.
To further answer your question about what to pay; it depends on how much you are willing to spend for one and if you are going the Ebay route-how high can it go and can you afford it.
During a recent trip back to Rhode Island (home for me), I found an antique shop that had a few Redlines. I found a red Boss Hoss and a purple Demon. Both had a little bit of playware the wheels had all the chrome on them but the Demon had a missing motor. I offered the guy $30 for the two and he agreed. I thought I did OK.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The concept cars are the cheapest and easiest to find. I have seen them in similar condition to those pictured for $3-10 each all the time. I do see some antique shops asking $20-30 each (and more) for them as well, but if you wait you can usually find them more reasonable.

The hot rods are harder to find, and sometimes you can get lucky and find them under $10 each, but more likely $15 and up. Remember tho that some antique shops will put $50-60 price tags on $2 beaters.

The ones that will usually cost you money are the spoilers and "customs" (Custom Mustang, Custom Camaro, etc). But I have seen them for $10-40 each in the condition shown.

The Beach Bomb, Olds 442, and Classic Cord are probably the three castings that will cost you the most money.

Of course this is a basic guesstimate of prices. Some variations and paint colors are rarer and fetch a premium, but sometimes you can find a dealer that didn't know what they had.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Very helpful. Thanks for the info.
I think I would pay up to $10.00 for any redline in decent shape. They way I see it, I could buy 2 Boulevards for about the same and they don't mean as much to me. I bought an original used Red Baron ($12.00) which is in a plastic display case on my desk and I can't stop looking at it. At the same time, I have about 400 "new" cars displayed in the rec room and, while some are very cool, I don't get the same thing out of them.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow!!

I haven't followed redline prices for a few years now.Did the price of Cords go way down or did you luck out and hit an auction right???

Mike
I don't know for sure Mike. I've seen some go for more but I've also seen and bought for under $100. The Rose one in the pic I got for $76 and the purple one I got for $32.50.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very helpful. Thanks for the info.
I think I would pay up to $10.00 for any redline in decent shape. They way I see it, I could buy 2 Boulevards for about the same and they don't mean as much to me. I bought an original used Red Baron ($12.00) which is in a plastic display case on my desk and I can't stop looking at it. At the same time, I have about 400 "new" cars displayed in the rec room and, while some are very cool, I don't get the same thing out of them.
I understand what your saying, some red's you just can't stop looking at them. The red US casting McLaren I have is the same for me. I just can't stop looking at it when I look at the McLaren rainbow. It and the Anti-freeze one just jump out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts