Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno if any of you guys have been following the NEW '14 Fed. regs regarding RF Static Noise emitting electric motors in Toys. But the new move to comply with these Regs by Racemasters, in their NEW Mega G+ chassis, shows us the Feds mean business !
In AFX's case, they are gonna use an ALL NEW RF shielded can motor, to meet the new Regs. But how the hell can a Pancake motor shield off it's RF static emissions ? Could this be the final Straw to Break Auto World's Slot Car back ? If they cannot shield the T-Jet500, X-Traction, and 4 Gear motors, then they are doomed to cease production of them for the USA ?

·
Banned
258 Posts
I dunno if any of you guys have been following the NEW '14 Fed. regs regarding RF Static Noise emitting electric motors in Toys. But the new move to comply with these Regs by Racemasters, in their NEW Mega G+ chassis, shows us the Feds mean business !
In AFX's case, they are gonna use an ALL NEW RF shielded can motor, to meet the new Regs. But how the hell can a Pancake motor shield off it's RF static emissions ? Could this be the final Straw to Break Auto World's Slot Car back ? If they cannot shield the T-Jet500, X-Traction, and 4 Gear motors, then they are doomed to cease production of them for the USA ?
Sounds like a very silly regulation to me; how could these HO slot cars emit enough RF Static Noise to interfere with anything ? And even if it did; the range could not be enough to cause any problems outside your own home. The FCC can't be serious about this. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
FYI- DC Electric Motors(in general) are VERY Dirty with RF emitting Static...
BTW- since I started reading about all this, I did some RF static testing myself. Now I'll admit I'm a dinosaur, and don't hardly own anything NEW or Contemporary. ie- My TV is still an old analog Console TV, and it uses a Digital Converter box- because it STILL receives it's Signals from the AIR with a Roof Top Antenna(For Free TV I might add ) Anyway, my test involved running two different cars on my Track in my Race Room, which is right next to my Living Room where the TV is. My test partner stayed in the TV Room and monitored the TV while I tested the cars. The first car was a fairly modern Life-Like Nascar using the "T" Chassis inline motor. During the running of this car, my buddy witnessed No RF Static on the CRT TV Screen that was detectable. Next up was a Auto World T-Jet in like New Condition. I ran this Car and I heard the response from the next room ! Yep- all kinds of static snow and digital blotching while running the T-Jet....Ruh Roh :eek:

PS- I just remembered something that I thought was Funny at the time. Waaay back in 1976 and living in central N.J., I built a Street Legal Baja Bug, with the Motor 3/4 exposed in the rear. Anyway, one day while I was cruising around town, a friend walking down the steet flagged me down so I pulled over and we chatted a while, all the time I kept the motor running. WELL....after about 10 minutes this guy comes flying out of the house I was parked in front of on the street, and was Yelling something at me ! He was saying to "Shut off that Damn thing, or get the hell off his street" ....coz my Cars exposed DC generator was F'n up his TV Reception ! I Laughed for a second, then said later, and took off spinning tires.... Ahhh... so that was RF Static that I was producing, with my Exposing engine running a DC Generator !

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Well, the Feds are begining to lose the battle against weed with its rescent legalization in Colorado and Washington, so they need to turn their attention to something as rediculous as outlawing a friggin' slotcar's source of locomotion!! If thats the case, any vehicle using solid copper core wires will be in violation as well!! I know my 1958 Mercury Mk78 outboard motor will be in SERIOUS violation!!! This is just rediculous!! If this is true, it's a total waste of taxpayers dollars!!!

JS

·
Registered
554 Posts
Guys--- the reason Racemasters fell under the FCC regulations was because of the chip in the lap counter/timer unit in some sets. If you don't have the chip then only toy regs apply.

·
Banned
1,963 Posts
would you possibly have a link to these federal regulations, or a regulation number, or some other useful information regarding exactly what these regulations are?

·
Banned
1,963 Posts
PS- I just remembered something that I thought was Funny at the time. Waaay back in 1976 and living in central N.J., I built a Street Legal Baja Bug, with the Motor 3/4 exposed in the rear. Anyway, one day while I was cruising around town, a friend walking down the steet flagged me down so I pulled over and we chatted a while, all the time I kept the motor running. WELL....after about 10 minutes this guy comes flying out of the house I was parked in front of on the street, and was Yelling something at me ! He was saying to "Shut off that Damn thing, or get the hell off his street" ....coz my Cars exposed DC generator was F'n up his TV Reception ! I Laughed for a second, then said later, and took off spinning tires.... Ahhh... so that was RF Static that I was producing, with my Exposing engine running a DC Generator !
you sure it wasn't just the solid core ignition wires you probably had installed??

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ralph--- John C who made the Mega G told me they had considered putting in a coupon to send in for the counter unit so the FCC would not be involved. My conclusion was that the FCC was involved because of the Unit. Without it a redesign would not have been needed. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dunno WHAT to believe anymore !? And what I read came from SCI.
Danny, about my Baja Bug RF Static emissions, yes, it had solid core Plug Wires :)

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a link to Fed Regs... RF Emissions I was told it's somewhere in there.... can't find it at the moment. But check it out if you like, and post info if you find it.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Uhhhhh....

Everybody in the know understands that slot cars are like tinfoil hats. They interfere with big brother monitoring your brain and goings on in yer house hold.

Where's my collander?!

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
This might be it...

§15.13 Incidental radiators.

Manufacturers of these devices shall employ good engineering practices to minimize the risk of harmful interference.

return arrow Back to Top
§15.15 General technical requirements.

(a) An intentional or unintentional radiator shall be constructed in accordance with good engineering design and manufacturing practice. Emanations from the device shall be suppressed as much as practicable, but in no case shall the emanations exceed the levels specified in these rules.

(b) Except as follows, an intentional or unintentional radiator must be constructed such that the adjustments of any control that is readily accessible by or intended to be accessible to the user will not cause operation of the device in violation of the regulations. Access BPL equipment shall comply with the applicable standards at the control adjustment that is employed. The measurement report used in support of an application for Certification and the user instructions for Access BPL equipment shall clearly specify the user-or installer-control settings that are required for conformance with these regulations.

(c) Parties responsible for equipment compliance should note that the limits specified in this part will not prevent harmful interference under all circumstances. Since the operators of part 15 devices are required to cease operation should harmful interference occur to authorized users of the radio frequency spectrum, the parties responsible for equipment compliance are encouraged to employ the minimum field strength necessary for communications, to provide greater attenuation of unwanted emissions than required by these regulations, and to advise the user as to how to resolve harmful interference problems (for example, see §15.105(b)).

[54 FR 17714, Apr. 25, 1989, as amended at 70 FR 1373, Jan. 7, 2005]

Don't worry Danny Tantrum... I don't think it's going to shut down operations...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with Terry,everything is digital now days,I see no need for the regulation(Radio frequency (RF) is a rate of oscillation in the range of around 3 kHz to 300 GHz, which corresponds to the frequency of radio waves, and the alternating currents which carry radio signals.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Not trying to throw Gasoline on the fire, but....since I started reading about all this, I did some RF static testing myself. Now I'll admit I'm a dinosaur, and don't hardly own anything NEW or Contemporary. ie- My TV is still an old analog Console TV, and it uses a Digital Converter box- because it STILL receives it's Signals from the AIR with a Roof Top Antenna(For Free TV I might add :) ) Anyway, my test involved running two different cars on my Track in my Race Room, which is right next to my Living Room where the TV is. My test partner stayed in the TV Room and monitored the TV while I tested the cars. The first car was a fairly modern Life-Like Nascar using the "T" Chassis inline motor. During the running of this car, my buddy witnessed No RF Static on the CRT TV Screen that was detectable. Next up was a Auto World T-Jet in like New Condition. I ran this Car and I heard the response from the next room ! Yep- all kinds of static snow and digital blotching while running the T-Jet....Ruh Roh :eek:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts