Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to get back into the hobby after a many year layoff for family and kids. I am needing some advice on a good charger. I know I want the charger to be AC/DC and can handle a 7 cell pack. Also what are good for batterys nowdays ? Last I was in we had the 2000's but I am sure there are better batteries nowdays. I don't have any plans on racing, so runtime is much more important that voltage. I have allready planned on getting a Stampede. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
GO Lipo and brushless motor. Mucho run time and no motor maintenance. A lipo charger that is AC/DC is the MRC. For lipo's I would go with MAX AMPS. You will have less in a lipo and charger then you would if you went with 2 or 3 4200 NiMh's and a charger.

Brushless is a little more becase you could get away with a inexpensive speedo. Where the brushless system comes with a very good speedo. But, with the motor lasting a very long time it is cheaper in the long run. Even if you go brushed motor you can still use lipo's.

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
If you are just going to be playing/bashing around the house I too would suggest a brushless system and Lipo batteries.

It will be a bit more in terms of initial expense, but if you can afford it you will come out ahead in the long run.

THere is plenty of information on HobbyTalk about brushless equipment and Lipo batteries if you want to learn more before you spend the money.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Bashing Fun

I would suggest an Emaxx over a Stampede. Best bang for your buck. Even though both have great aftermarket support.. the Emaxx is so MUCH more of a truck than the Stampede.
Max AMPS is definitely the way to go!!
4200's or 4400 Nickle Metal Hydrides or Lipos.
Many different chargers to choose from. I like the Integy AC/DC chargers personally. you just have to do some research and decide how much you want to spend.
Dan

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well people seem to agree that brushless and a liPo is the way to go. Excuse my ignorence but I have been away a long time. Box stock will I need a new speed control to run a LiPo ? Also what would you suggest for a brushless set up ? As much as a 70 mph monster sounds appealing, I would be just happy with a runtime of longer than 5 min and have something durable. Thanks for the info again.

·
AKA Rusty NutZ
1,138 Posts
novak GTB with one of their brushless motors. the lower the number on the motor, the faster it is. i think the GTB will work with LiPo's.

Rusty NutZ

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
You can use Lipo's with pretty much any ESC and Motor. So even if you bought a stock vehicle with a 4000 or 6000 lipo you can get 20-30 min of run time out of it if not more. A stock Emaxx with 2 6000 7.4v batteries can get you close to 30 min of run time.
Keep researching and see what is out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts