Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to spend a week in Massachussets, New Hampshire, Rhode Island area, Any suggestios for picking up any unique J/L's? Any unique die cast stores, or places of interest? Do they have any W/L's on the store pegs in New England? Regardless of what I find, I'll enjoy the week of rest and vacationing!

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Al, we have the usual here.... TRU, Wal Mart, KB, Target, K Mart (the latter two are really a waste of time). Might find some old stuff at some of the KB's, but seldom see a W/L there. There are some scattered hobby shops here and there, but they don't put out the W/L. There's a hobby shop on Jeffereson Blvd. in Warwick RI (near the airport) that had some old/unusual stuff as well. Forget the name, but it's across from the only Honey Dew Donut shop on that road.

I get around the central and southeastern Mass. area, and RI (sometime eastern CT), and that's pretty much it.

If you're coming to Newport, let me know, and I'll clue you in on some local points (non-die cast!) :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Just made the rounds today. Nothing really good at the stores. Not sure of any hobby shops around besides Hobby Town?

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
enjoy your time out there - ain't never been able to get that far yet, wish i could escape this oppressive summer heat and humidity that lingers for 8 months out of 12 down here in the anus of Texas called Houston - have fun hunting for JL while catching up on some rest - wishing you a safe and happy journet,
Pocketwocket.
:wave:

ps
could you post some pics when you get back ?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Al, the store carnut mentioned on Jefferson Blvd. is call A A Hobbies. Last time I was in there was a year ago, & all he had was some old stuff, like a few True Grit trucks. Mostly trains and some models. The Apple Valley Hobbies store off 295 in Smithfield has pretty much stopped buying JL diecast, but is getting the slots. He was still holding 3 White Thunders because he's asking $60.00 each. He does have tons of the 1:18 stuff from various companies. The Apponaug Color & Hobby Shop had about 12 JL pcs on the pegs. Again, mostly trains, models, and slots (never saw any JL).
It's extremely difficult to find very new stuff in JL or HW, whether it's regular or chase cars around here, but good luck. I wouldn't waste my time looking for JL in the WalMarts. They usually only have about 2 pegs of peg warmers, and maybe a strip with a few Spidey or Clue cars on it.
East Bay Hobbies near me in Seekonk (MA) is closed for vacation until the 10th. Only JL on his pegs is Import Heat, a few Super 70's, and a few Thunder Wagons. He's got more JL slots than diecast, including the new F&F.

When are you heading up hear?

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Dadyball, I pretty much stopped going to Apple Valley (Parent's) because I saw the $60 White Thunder slots he keeps behind the counter, and the $35 Riviera W/L. He never puts the W/Ls out for his customers. That's his right, and it's my right to by my regular issues somewhere else, where I might at least have a shot at a W/L. He gets way too much for his regular JLs, as well. I don't mind supporting the local guy, but let's be reasonable.By the way, I did in fact find a Grand National W/T W/L that Parent wanted $60 for, at another hobby shop that put them all out. Paid $12 for it, priced like all the others he had. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should be in Mass at 5:00PM today? Leaving Long Island about noon time, At this point, I really never expect too much diecast deals, I'll have fun vacationing regardless.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Carnut, I started going there about 3 years ago. He was pulling the W/L then, but only asking $20 each. I was fairly new to them & didn't really want to spend that much on 1 car. I ended up getting them for a few members here for the $20. About a year & a half ago, he raised the price to $30, and started getting the T-Jets. Last month I bought the 2 blue Batmobiles, as well as the gold and chrome ones from him. He is a little pricey, but I hadn't seen them anywhere else. East Bay hadn't gotten them in yet, & as I usually miss when he puts the stuff out, I was afraid I'd miss them. Someone else has been getting there before me as there are always a few missing (with my luck, probably the whites).

What town in RI do you live in?

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Spending most of my time down in Newport/Middletown these days. I picked up the GN W/T W/L at a hobby shop down this way. He almost never gets any JLs in at all, happened to be in the right place at the right time. Mostly does models and trains. I've been to East Bay a few times, never saw anything much there. Again, timing is everything! :wave:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts