Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what cars are popular for dirt oval? 2WD and 4WD. We may be adding an oval track locally and looking for opinions please. The track surface is yet to be determined but it will be NOT blue grooved. Most likely swept and watered. Let me know what ya'll think guys! Thanks...

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
custom works only name you will need to know in dirt oval.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I concur

katf1sh said:
custom works only name you will need to know in dirt oval.
Yep! what da Kat said. On most if not all tracks the 2wd intimidator can haul the mail. On 4wd most tracks have gone to the touring cars for this class. Readily available parts and cheap too. The dominator from custom works is still tops in my book though. I still have my first one bought in 1989. Regretfully there are no dirt oval tracks around where I live now. If the track your planning on racing at is not of the expertly maintained type(bumpy,rutty or just plain nasty)an offroad type car will suit your purpose better. Or maybe the intimidator10 from customworks. It has the cw chassis and front suspension with the rear suspension and gearbox from an rc10(stealth style). Just add the body style of your choice and hang on. Dirt oval is the best of both oval classes worlds. Almost the same speed as pavement and all the suspension to play with. Yee haw! Did I mention custom works has the nicest looking sprint carts too? Both gearbox and direct drive versions. Sound like I work for custom works? Nah, but I did stay at an holiday inn express lastnight :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
terminator is the best gearbox car out there now.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Custom Works cars is my choice ,,, just put some associated touring shocks on it,, trash the old school delta shocks. then you are set for a car that is tunable for all track conditions. hard, pack, slick, blue grove , tack , rutty ,dusty, and bumpy...

BigDon

·
Registered
651 Posts
thinking about getting another D/O car

I got out of dirt oval awhile back in favor of refitting my inventory with oval cars. I now am starting to feel the uge to go back to my roots.
I used to run outlaw sprint with both a converted B3, and an enforcer10 depending on the track and it's conditions.
Un fortunatly I sold it all to finace my oval fleet.
I think the terminator is for me, as I want to run EDM, and occasional late model / full body class.
All I have left is a spare B3 tranny I found in the old dusty archieves.
I am leaning towards the B3 based terminator kit, but would appreciate hearing others pro and con views.
I also need to know, besides electronics, what parts will I need to complete the kit?
Thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
it depends how involved u want to get. many people at our track run edm with buggy chassies. i currently run a bellyacher from custom works. bms makes a few cars, and cobra still does i think. i know trinity made a few. if u need to know more about what cars are out there look at the links page on www.dirtoval.com.. there are so many cars. intimidater,bellyacher,terminater,enforcer,cobra,trinity,b.m.s.,kransels,and so many home built.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Wait a couple of weeks and get the new Custom Works GBX car. You won't be disapointed. One thing to remember is that The Kranzel Terminator was orignially developed by Rob Cutman (now GM of Custom Works). :dude:

·
Registered
382 Posts
I like the Terminator, but the draw back is how much this thing weigh out at. I ran it a Mr. Dirt at Krans last year, EDM body and Ready to race, 5 lbs.
I have tried to run it without the Alum nose and it wont keep the wheels on the ground.
As far as which one...You have to look at the track rules..Some places say your chassy has to have a Kick up front end. (Term. B-2,3,4 XXX and so ON) In that case you couldnt run the Inteminator. They are both great cars. I cant say anything about the Grand car. I have never seen one in action.

But the NEW CW cars are due out soon I quess. The date keeps getting pushed back. I can remeber when they were to begin shipping in Mar 04...Any ways the track is the key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys I must agree with ptown20 on the new Custom Works GBX car. We have been working very hard on this car and all the effort is paying off. When it is released everyone will be very happy with the final product believe me. This new car has some very important tuning features that the other cars on the market do not have. It is a very adjustable car that will work on all types of track surfaces and under any conditions. Remember this is a purpose built gear box car not a bellyacher so you really cannot compare the two. I have been running the prototype GBX car all summer and when it is released it will be an excellent car for all types of dirt oval racing.

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask.

Phil Cooper

1 - 20 of 31 Posts