Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using this record method for several years now to catalog Fly Fishing Fly Patterns,
and it dawned on me at the first of the year to give it a try for Hot Wheels. Using 3X5 cards works OK, but
it's getting rather cumbersome to handle the cards when trying to update the record and keep them in order,
plus it has started taking up a little more space than I wanted it to originally, So....

I am going to try a system that will fit in three-ring binders.

Each Hot Wheels in my collection, that I am going to make an effort to scale-back and trim down some, will
have a photo and pertinent information about it placed on a Sports card size card that can be printed out with
six Hot Wheels record cards at a time. These cards will be cut apart....

placed in a Sports Card Sleeve, then slid into a nine-card holding page. The good thing about this is that a close-up
photo of each Hot Wheels can be taken, the info I want about each included on the card, and ....

two cards can fit into each section of the card-holding page back-to-back to get double use out of each section.
The cards can then be organized by year, either alphabetically by name, or by the Collector Number, which I
am leaning toward using right now.

It's a little time consuming, but being retired, I have plenty of time on my hands right now. The time has come to
'free' the Hot Wheels from their packages that I want to keep and they are going into the 48-place storage boxes
that I have been buying at Joann's the last couple of years when they are on sale.

So, whatcha' all think about this effort? All feedback is welcome as Y'all may have an ideer that I have overlooked!
:grin2:​

·
Premium Member
9,406 Posts
To me that looks like a good idea but I don't have the time or patients to do that kind of stuff. So I just write down a list of hotwheels that I'm looking for and I have a great memory of which hotwheels I have and which one's I don't.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
To me that looks like a good idea but I don't have the time or patients to do that kind of stuff. So I just write down a list of hotwheels that I'm looking for and I have a great memory of which hotwheels I have and which one's I don't.
:grin2:I used to have that kind of memory - could remember every car I had in my collection and pretty much where I had bought them. Somehow age and a few other issues over the years and the memory chips just don't remember like thy used to...and now I find it very helpful to have a database to help me keep track of the collection. The one shared in this thread is very detailed and nicely done -

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts
As you said, it's a good job for someone who is retired. It will keep you busy. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Wow.., nice job BackwoodsBoy054(Gary ?) :thumbsup:
So.., this is a ver. 2.0. What happen to ver. 1.0 that is on larger paper?
Hopefully the next ver. 3.0 or 10.0 :grin2: is paperless. If most corporate encourage to use e-bill, why not we have also an e-inventory. I have mine in http://hotwheels26.byethost7.com :woohoo:

I like you mention about estimated value. So... do you have all sum up at the back of the binder :grin2:
Btw what reference/ source you use for this estimated value? :grin2:

Actually a good inventory record is not exclusive only for retired people. It takes about 240-300 seconds(or maybe less) to record properly 1 items. It is always slow/ hard in the beginning, but when it is on a good track, you will enjoy every second you doing it :cheers2:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
That is a great idea for keeping track of the cars at home but I would want to be able to look up what I had when I was out without having to take the book along.

I recommend using https://collecthw.com (which is FREE) to keep your collection at, then when you're out looking for more cars you can bing up your collection on a cell phone(so you don't buy extras of something you already have). The site lets you save your collection to CSV where you can print it out or copy items about each car (description, number, value , etc..) this might help with your cards so you don't have to do all of the typing.

There are so many ways to keep track of a collection, it's all in what you find that works best for you. The above site works best for me (I travel a lot for work) and if your into comics I would suggest https://www.stashmycomics.com (it's FREE).

I use the 2 above mentioned web sites, I'm no way connected to the sites other than a user. I find them both to work well for me keeping track of my collections and best of all they're FREE. I believe you can find videos on Youtube that shows how to use them. Maybe they will work for you or someone else that reads the post.
~rokr

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been using this record method for several years now to catalog Fly Fishing Fly Patterns,

and it dawned on me at the first of the year to give it a try for Hot Wheels. Using 3X5 cards works OK, but

it's getting rather cumbersome to handle the cards when trying to update the record and keep them in order,

plus it has started taking up a little more space than I wanted it to originally, So....

I am going to try a system that will fit in three-ring binders.

Each Hot Wheels in my collection, that I am going to make an effort to scale-back and trim down some, will

have a photo and pertinent information about it placed on a Sports card size card that can be printed out with

six Hot Wheels record cards at a time. These cards will be cut apart....

placed in a Sports Card Sleeve, then slid into a nine-card holding page. The good thing about this is that a close-up

photo of each Hot Wheels can be taken, the info I want about each included on the card, and ....

two cards can fit into each section of the card-holding page back-to-back to get double use out of each section.

The cards can then be organized by year, either alphabetically by name, or by the Collector Number, which I

am leaning toward using right now.

It's a little time consuming, but being retired, I have plenty of time on my hands right now. The time has come to

'free' the Hot Wheels from their packages that I want to keep and they are going into the 48-place storage boxes

that I have been buying at Joann's the last couple of years when they are on sale.

So, whatcha' all think about this effort? All feedback is welcome as Y'all may have an ideer that I have overlooked!

:grin2:
Aren't they worth more if they remain in their packages?

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Aren't they worth more if they remain in their packages?
Depends on the car and how old. Technically Hot Wheels BEFORE the 1990's are where the value is, whether loose or in package. !990's was when EVRYONE jumped in to collecting and there are millions of Hot Wheels still in packages out there in collector hands, that bring down their "worth"

·
Administrator
33,072 Posts
I still dont think it is a good ideal to put your actual name out on a public forum. But, it has been more than 2 years though since it was placed out there by you @BackwoodsBoy054. Have you noticed an up tick in spam and email offers since then?

Since I buy and sell all types of Hot Wheels I keep a close watch on values for all of them. And their are certainly many cars that temporarily and even over time have only increased in value - from the lowly valued main lines that even at $2.00 have shown a 100% return on cost. Or the exclusive limited editions given away for free that are showing returns in value in the 1000ths. So everyones perspective is right but limited by their own interests.

I also have both the priceless versions - those I gravity race which is 99% of my collection and those that still reside in their original packaging!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts