Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gotten a few emails over the past couple weeks asking me about info on making dioramas. Since I wasn't able to answer the questions I figured that some of our members would be willing to share their ideas, latest projects and tips.

So we've created this forum to try and keep the info for this specialized niche of modeling in one place.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Dioramas.

If dioramas don't make the kits per say,they will at least enhance the kits greatly most of the time.In a sense,they are about as important as the kit subject itself.So keep on building those dioramas folks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the process of making a diorama for my husband. I've never built a diorama before for a vehicle but I know that the scale must be somewhat accurate. You wouldn't want to have a garage scene with tires that are bigger than the car in it. But the tools and accessories I've found are mostly 1:18 scale but wouldn't a diecast model of that size be much too large to use for a miniature garage scene? I was wondering if it would look too strange to have a 1:24 diecast model vehicle in a diorama with 1:18 accessories?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Some are listed as 1/24 and 1/18 it depends on what accessories they are, some tools would work as well as gas pumps or coke machines,it's best to stick with either one or the other I find. Here is one I did in 1/24th scale
As you can see the oil rack to the right of the pump is 1/32 but still works weel.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
a diorama should tell a story and (no disrespect intended) a car sitting by a pump does that in a vague way which imho, is more like a setting per se or a scene, is it getting gas?, is someone looking for directions? , flat tire? abandoned? figures would enchance this greatly.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
i see a shiney new vette and the guy went inside to take a leak. route 66 is a long road.
theres the story. lol
a dio to me is art. it doe's not need to be a story board dio.
it's like a junk yard dio. and no people around. those old rusted out cars tell a story in it's self. no need for figures. the cars take you back in time.
:wave:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
i see a shiney new vette and the guy went inside to take a leak. route 66 is a long road.
theres the story. lol
a dio to me is art. it doe's not need to be a story board dio.
it's like a junk yard dio. and no people around. those old rusted out cars tell a story in it's self. no need for figures. the cars take you back in time.
:wave:
Well said Lee!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts