Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else given the Spindrift a gander inside the box yet? They include a decal sheet which features striping on the propulsion section extended from the forward fuselage. There weren't any gray-and-blue stripes on the engine section.

I went ahead and ordered the TSDS decal sheet from Hobbylinc. Looks more comprehensive.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The original Aurora version had the stripes there -- inscribed into the plastic. And since that part of the ship was rarely seen on the show, most of us back then thought it was supposed to be that way. I painted them on there back in 1970, and I bet most of you did too. It's easy to putty them over. I don't plan on buying this kit. I have an original and a couple of reissues already.

·
Premium Member
2,830 Posts
It's a nice, crisp re-issue of the first Aurora edition with a clear plastic dome and plenty of decals to more "accurately" detail the interior, although the port and starboard walls of the control cabin are still molded incorrectly and still only 4 passenger seats where there should be 6 and the hall closet curtain is still too far back (it should be mid-way between the compartment doors and the end of the hall).
Although the clear dome is still incorrect (it should be oval, not round), the kit includes a single new piece; a clear plastic disk that fits underneath the dome and a decal of the brass "mesh" to apply to it before cementing the dome.
The airline logos are still embossed, but decals are provided if you intend to sand them off and put the logo in the correct position.
And has already been mentioned, the rear hull still has those engraved stripes that were never on the "hero" model, and can easily be puttied and sanded smooth.
This will be my sixth "Aurora" Spindrift build since the glue bomb I first assembled in 1970.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I got an original Aurora through the mail in the late 80s that I rebuilt, but I'll definitely get one of these and maybe try some of the aftermarket stuff.

·
High Priest of the NCC-1701-E
5,151 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts