21 Posts
OVRCCC has a well established track [carpet/asphalt/dirt oval] in SE ohio
check out OVRCCC.com

didn't mean to hijack the thread
anyone have any more info??
heading to col sunday to check it out
Thasnkx, Bill:wave:
Bill,

Hopefully you weren't coming in sunday specifically to race. I haven't heard confirmation of the opening being November 1st. If you are just coming in to check the place out, I'd call first. I stopped on Sunday of this past weekend to find the gate locked, though the website says that they'd be open for practice on that day.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yea i like on road but not by choice but thats just because i did touring car and oval. and the touring car just ate tires. and with my budget i really didnt want to buy a new set of tires every month. Idk how 12th scalers are. but perhaps you could school me? Right now i have a gtb (the 7.4v model) not the 4 cell. I know that you need to run a receiver pack or a voltage booster. but other than that i dont know. Like the looks of the 1 cell lipo and brushless. But I just figured since sc took off with a huge bang there would be kids showing up far and wide with there sc trucks looking for a place to race :)

THANKS
Sean Scott

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yea i like on road but not by choice but thats just because i did touring car and oval. and the touring car just ate tires. and with my budget i really didnt want to buy a new set of tires every month. Idk how 12th scalers are. but perhaps you could school me? Right now i have a gtb (the 7.4v model) not the 4 cell. I know that you need to run a receiver pack or a voltage booster. but other than that i dont know. Like the looks of the 1 cell lipo and brushless. But I just figured since sc took off with a huge bang there would be kids showing up far and wide with there sc trucks looking for a place to race :)

THANKS
Sean Scott
Don't know much about the ESC or the tire wear in 1/12, maybe someone with more experience can voice an opinion. I do know that you can run your sc on their outdoor track, but as soon as the ground freezes, that'll be all she wrote. They mentioned eventually building a facility to house an offroad indoor clay track, but that's yet to be seen. I don't even know if they onroad thing'll be up and running when they say. I haven't seen much action on the forums from the owner. If he knew what was good for business, he'd be on here selling the thing.

Anywho, check in the onroad forum about the esc and maybe run your sc before it gets too cold. The outdoor track is pretty fun.

·
Registered
364 Posts
1-12 tire wear is average for a foam car. this year should be better with the cars getting lighter.
ESC...I leave the switch in the OFF position and run a small 180MaH LiPo as a power source for the reciever..steering is super fast now. The GTB will work but getting it under a body shell will be tight...the heatsink is too tall normally.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just some info from the Oval side of things since they seem to be the only ones talking. I though I'd post this here so we all would know what was going on.

redfoxr
iTrader Rating: (0)
My Photos Join Date: Feb 2008

Hey Guys, I have another update for you. I stopped at the track today and the news is discouraging. The local powers to be are requiring the owners to provide them with more architectural plans before they will allow the owners to do any construction of any type. The owners had to add a fresh air system to meet code standards. I commend the owners for their patience. They have so far spent several thousands of dollars with no results in getting a track up and running. The powers are requiring the owners to provide them with proof that the racing carpet will not go up in flames in case a cigarette falls on it. Calandra has not provided the owners with this proof even though they say that it passes the test. I wish I had better news, but it looks as though Nov.7 will not be race day. When I get more positive news I will certainly report it. Later, Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just some info from the Oval side of things since they seem to be the only ones talking. I though I'd post this here so we all would know what was going on.

redfoxr
My Photos Join Date: Feb 2008

Hey Guys, I have another update for you. I stopped at the track today and the news is discouraging. The local powers to be are requiring the owners to provide them with more architectural plans before they will allow the owners to do any construction of any type. The owners had to add a fresh air system to meet code standards. I commend the owners for their patience. They have so far spent several thousands of dollars with no results in getting a track up and running. The powers are requiring the owners to provide them with proof that the racing carpet will not go up in flames in case a cigarette falls on it. Calandra has not provided the owners with this proof even though they say that it passes the test. I wish I had better news, but it looks as though Nov.7 will not be race day. When I get more positive news I will certainly report it. Later, Jim
Why would they be comcerned about a cigerette lighting up carpet? Isn't there a ban on indoor smoking? I think someone wants a kickback to get things passed!

·
Registered
315 Posts
just like i said in the oval forum. getting this indoor track isnt looking good. He was origionaly planning on getting crc carpet. Calandra wouldnt supply him with the info he needed to rezone the building ie. flame tests blah blah blah. so I saw the new carpet and its not really racing carpet but its a place to go. so It looks like things will be running in a bit. but yes gahana zoning has been giving them fits just to re zone this thing but hope to see you all soon :)

THANKS
Sean Scott

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've never heard of anybody else having a problem putting down ozite, but then I'm not directly involved with any carpet track. I will gladly come check the place out once they get up and running though. Not sure I'd be much help, but I will do what I can if they ask for help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Another update from the oval side

DARKSCOPE001
My Photos Join Date: Jun 2006

so I went over to en hobbies yesterday and the owner shoed me a sample of the carpet they are thinking about and idk what to think. its not really racing ozite. its like a low pile industrial carpet. Not really what im used to racing on. But then again ive only raced carpet at one location. and that being platinum hobbies. And from what i remember the carpet was verry verry hard packed and almost no fibers at all. This stuff felt like a low low pile berber or something. But perhaps idk what Im talking about and maybe after racing there for a while the carpet will soak up some of the traction sauce and tire dust and will become a tacky hard racing surface. but I dont know. Tell me what you guys think be cause I have almost no carpet on road racing experience. But would like to know as much as I can. Also I know this is the oval thread and I dont mean to hijack. But I asked the owner if there was going to be a carpet sc truck class ect... and he said we would have to see the turnout. just wondering what you guys think of a carpet sc class. also 1 more question. the owner said he was having difficulty zoning it. anyone know anything about rezoning in gahana? looking forward to seeing this track compleated and seeing you all out there cheers

THANKS
Sean Scott

·
Registered
129 Posts
Asphalt may be a better option. Several tracks in the midwest are ripping out their carpet and laying down a smooth asphalt surface. Spray a little vht mix and the traction is incredible......... I would love to see indoor asphalt.

If they put down anything other than CRC carpet they may struggle to get it going. The carpet crowd is used to racing on one thing and it is the norm across the USA.

Thanks,
Rob Love

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's a real good idea Rob, but I don't know what the arrangement is on the building. I would would love to run indoor asphalt, but what would the cost versus carpet be?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I "believe" Filo priced it out before they laid new carpet and it was actually cheaper, but they still ended up buying new rug...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ahhh ok it was my understanding that it was more expensive. Indoor asphalt would be cool though, I've never run on that before.
cleveland radio raceway used indoor "asphalt" they laid down a subfloor and used a mixture of driveway sealer and sand, they just had to spray some coke on the floor for traction,m was a real fast oval

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ahhh ok it was my understanding that it was more expensive. Indoor asphalt would be cool though, I've never run on that before.
cleveland radio raceway used indoor "asphalt" they laid down a subfloor and used a mixture of driveway sealer and sand, they just had to spray some coke on the floor for traction,m was a real fast oval
And we even had road course races on it will 1/10 cars

·
Registered
315 Posts
ive thought about this many times. an indoor asphalt thrack. It seems like a really good idea. I mean honestly does this stuff ever need replacing? and plus I dont think that you would have to be as strict about traction sauce. and I dont think it would be as difficult to damage but then again Ive never raced on and indoor asphault track. Only seen them in picktures. but from what ive seen looks like a ton of fun. indor asphault has my vote :thumbsup:

THANKS
Sean Scott

·
Registered
33 Posts
ive thought about this many times. an indoor asphalt thrack. It seems like a really good idea. I mean honestly does this stuff ever need replacing? and plus I dont think that you would have to be as strict about traction sauce. and I dont think it would be as difficult to damage but then again Ive never raced on and indoor asphault track. Only seen them in picktures. but from what ive seen looks like a ton of fun. indor asphault has my vote :thumbsup:

THANKS
Sean Scott
And we used greens and blues for tires.

·
Registered
315 Posts
sorry jeff im an offroader at heat and i only raced at like a few tracks where we used foams cor car and platnam. and I used purple double purple and I used pink double pink but I take it that greens and blues are up there on the hardness scale? and thus encouraging longer tire life.

THANKS
Sean Scott

·
Registered
93 Posts
A little update for everyone, I spoke with one of the owners on friday and now they are looking at a 12/1 open date. They did finally get a test piece of carpet from CRC and have sent it to the county fire maarshal and are awaiting word on hs approval. Once that happens they are going full tilt to get the track ready. Track size is going to be 70x42 and they have some great plans for the area. There will be pics soon of the area once they get it cleaned up a little they had a hayride out there for holloween and want to get that stuff out before they show any pics. I'll be sure to pass along anymore info as I get it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Another note, I did talk to them about race days and they are pretty much just looking fo rinput as to what everyone would like to do. Being here in Dayton and having a couple tracks here in pretty close range and I suggested that maybe the would want to run an opposite schedule to the tracks they would be competeing with. Since they are also going to run oval on the same track that throws more into scheduling conflicts. So as far as what days to race we just need to let them know what day would be good for everyone. I suggested saturday for onroad and sunday for oval. They are also open to running on weekday evenings.

21 - 40 of 111 Posts