Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just says "cool stuff"
Hey "Z" man, did the vins start with the 1st Series & on?
Very slick & devious to spring it on to us now

·
Registered
780 Posts
JL comes through again just when I thought the line might be toast.
I am very excited to hear that metal bases will return, but am very happy to see that number 13 spoiler!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Check it out...These 40ths have vin #'s under the hoods. (I did not know that)

And prizes??!!:)
Yeah, that was something Tom Z talked about last year at Lightningfest 08 only the contest/prizes were supposed to be a Lightningfest 09 event.

The main problem with the "VIN" being under the hood is that on many of the cars you can't open the hood enough to actually see it and if you can on some cars the paint is too dark to make it out.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Now that it's been said that the number 13 car pictured in the blog isn't a "REAL" spoiler can someone please elaborate on what that exactly means?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Now that it's been said that the number 13 car pictured in the blog isn't a "REAL" spoiler can someone please elaborate on what that exactly means?
I wonder that too? What is a "real" spoiler? I have all the spoiler series and all the gumball number cars....They all have things in common, mostly the gumballs and open hood blown motors...yet some "real" spoilers dont have open hoods..#3 cobra and #3 70 challenger? I'd like to know the answer too?

·
Registered
780 Posts
If it's because it may have a plastic base, that makes no difference to me.
Besides, anything that wears the number 13 should be a little different.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts

Photo courtesy of jlcollector.
Now that's a real spoiler!

Yes, it's about the plastic base but it's also about staying in series and being sold as a Spoiler. Real Spoilers have metal bases and are issued in a one up numbered series. Last one was the Vega wagon. There's already a #13 Spoiler so this Camaro ain't a Spoiler. It's just another numbered car to follow the other numbered cars in the 40th Series that also weren't Spoilers. Just a dodge to see if they can sell more of these "diecast."

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have all the truck but it doesn't seem to fit in as a spoiler because all the rest, except the #39 are cars. (and what about the chrome #39 camaro in the LR Box set?)
Also if you want to get technical, rebel rods shouldn't be considered spoilers should they?
I consider them to be, but some purists insist that "Real" spoilers said so on the package and began with the #19. This kind of thinking just goes to show that everyone has their own take on things and theres no right or wrong.

I collect and consider all gumball cars to be spoilers, from the #1 car in KB 5 car box set to the current #40 vega wagon and everything in between.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
If I remember right JL lost the rights to use the name Rebel Rods so they renamed them Spoilers. So they are the same thing with different names.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You know they're the same thing and I know they're the same thing, but there's always someone out there that will argue that they're not.
Just like the comment about that #13 car pictured on the blog. I just don't understand the logic behind someone saying it's not a "Real" spoiler.

Remember when the # 26 car was skipped and in it's place we got a #76 car instead?
Some people questioned why that was and Tom Z finally announced the release of the #26 not as a spoiler but rather a Lightning Rod.

And the same holds true for this camaro that was introduced in a LR box set.

As well as this Challenger.

Come to think of it that LR box set had a bit of everything in it, PIP, Spoilers, BWF's, LR, and Zingers.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
You know they're the same thing and I know they're the same thing, but there's always someone out there that will argue that they're not.
That's OK, it's a free country and they are free to be wrong ;)

Just like the comment about that #13 car pictured on the blog. I just don't understand the logic behind someone saying it's not a "Real" spoiler.
I think I explained it pretty well. The Rebel Rods and the Spoilers are a series. The name change was a legal thing that no one liked but we have to live with. JL screwed up and lost the rights, but once it was done, they couldn't fix it, so we just moved on under the new name. The important things is they kept the sequence. Now they have failed again by issuing cars that confuse the issue. What about the other 40th cars with bulleyes and numbers? Are we supposed to call them Spoilers as well? Not in my book.

Remember when the # 26 car was skipped and in it's place we got a #76 car instead? Some people questioned why that was and Tom Z finally announced the release of the #26 not as a spoiler but rather a Lightning Rod.
No one has claimed that JL hasn't made mistakes in this series, they certainly have. The multiple Superbee #12's was a mistake. Releasing a second #20 after they already released #20 as a Toy Fair car was a mistake. Labeling #26 as #76 just because it was a 76 Camaro was a mistake. Releasing the box set with new numbers #1 through #5 was a mistake.

Some things are debateable, like the hood on #3 Challenger. I didn't mind that one so much, as long as it was a one-off to accomodate an old casting that didn't have a removeable hood.

I don't think the #13 truck was a mistake. It has a missing hood and a big motor, and I've seen many people drag racing pick-ups so I don't have an issue with it.

Like I said, free country and everyone's free to vote with their wallets. It's just that JL makes so few things that interest me anymore, I was hoping they would do something to redeem themselves and add to my collection. If not, I am happy to spend my money elsewhere and seal my Rebel/Rods-Spoilers case at #40. It won't ruin my day. :hat:

·
Registered
780 Posts
I think the way the numbered cars were handled is a combination of both mistakes and some were done deliberately. It's been interesting collecting them because you never know what series or line one may show up. It's one group of cars that's kept me guessing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.