Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What seems to be the battery of choice these days? I see IB's and IP's. Everything looks fairly comprable number wise.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
The IB has been the standard for a while but I've been testing the IP cells and there pretty good and seem to be more durable. I haven't run any EP's yet so can't say much about them.

Doug P

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
I've seen a couple matchers make the switch to the EP's. (Like Pro-Match), but I haven't yet seen the numbers and/or results.

2 of our guys just bought 4200's in the past couple weeks...and both reported to me basically the same thing.

One bought 2 packs..and said one is OK, the othe isn't worth using for practice...the other said 3 or the 4 he bought aren't worth using for practice..and 4th is very good. (These are a couple of the reasons why I did a 180 on the idea of LiPo's, and have been seriously looking at benefits of the Peak/Orion 3200 Spec. LiPo)

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I have been more interested in the A123 batteries. They are 3.3 nominal volts per cell, but when cycled at 35 amps are showing 2.5 volts. They are claiming the best durablility and a 2 cell back would be about the same voltage. Also a 2 cell pack would only run about $40.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You forgot about the latest GP cells due out soon.... test cells sent to the matchers look promising, I hear... just another cell to consider

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Ip

Tome57, for waht ever reason, down here in FLA, the local tracks do not permit the use of the IP's, I have several packs of the IP3800, can only use them for pratice.

Make sure the locals will let you play, if you choose IP's. Maybe it's a Fla thing, don't know about the rest of the rc universe.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
98Ron said:
Tome57, for waht ever reason, down here in FLA, the local tracks do not permit the use of the IP's, I have several packs of the IP3800, can only use them for pratice.

Make sure the locals will let you play, if you choose IP's. Maybe it's a Fla thing, don't know about the rest of the rc universe.
No problems with IP's here in SC.You guys are too finicky down there,running foams outdoors on asphalt,no IP's, what's the deal down there?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
pepe said:
No problems with IP's here in SC.You guys are too finicky down there,running foams outdoors on asphalt,no IP's, what's the deal down there?
I herd they were better batteries thats why we cant use them. but heck everbodt that is sombody runs better batteries than me. LOL

·
R/C Nut
653 Posts
most of the good matchers are waiting for the next date code the current one I had heard was not verry good low volts and unstable cells next batch should be end of the month?

·
Registered
691 Posts
swtour said:
I've seen a couple matchers make the switch to the EP's. (Like Pro-Match), but I haven't yet seen the numbers and/or results.

2 of our guys just bought 4200's in the past couple weeks...and both reported to me basically the same thing.

One bought 2 packs..and said one is OK, the othe isn't worth using for practice...the other said 3 or the 4 he bought aren't worth using for practice..and 4th is very good. (These are a couple of the reasons why I did a 180 on the idea of LiPo's, and have been seriously looking at benefits of the Peak/Orion 3200 Spec. LiPo)
I've used the EP's in 4300. Very good voltage, a lot less runtime compared to IB's.

I have been trying to get some good packs for the last 7 weeks for the upcoming Velodrome race. Can't find any. I found 2 packs from a local supplier, one was ok, the other was bad. So I have 1 decent pack to run 5 minute mod at a Velodrome. No you know why I was hoping to run the lipo/4300 combo instead.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I just got a pack of EP's a little less runtime but, good voltage, and the curve is diffrent, Less voltage for the first 10sec. but better voltage from 30-200sec, then the same to about 4.00 Then the EP's i have went from 4.00 to 3.6 in 5 sec., Where the IB's held around there for about 20sec.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
If I get some [unassembled] packs and find that some of the cells have a much higher self discharge rate, to the point that they are basically completley empty after a week in transit from the matcher, am I justified in asking for replacements?

Out of 18 cells four were down to 1.05 volts and had nothing left in them while the other still had 500 mAHr.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts