Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everybody gets new batteries before a big race. Are they best on the first run? Third cycle? How long until you "knock the new off" and your new pack is just another pack?

Also, has anybody tested all of the new packs? What's hot?

Please, no company love posts...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question. But call Tony at powerpush.com he will know.

He is the best!!!!

Sam

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just wanting to know the story on running new batteries and how long they're "better" for...hopefully from somebody who runs up front.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Haven't run the new ones yet but the 6300s were good for 12 runs rule of thumb then they started to loose performance (not a lot). This is only our history with them and that is at 20amp charge rate.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Haven't run the new ones yet but the 6300s were good for 12 runs rule of thumb then they started to loose performance (not a lot). This is only our history with them and that is at 20amp charge rate.

What if you charged at less amps? Would they last longer?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I am not sure who thinks they lost pep after 12 runs. But i just set a track record with a 1s lipo pack that is atleast a year old... Granted it was an ohp so its the best out there but still.. A one year old battery running just as good as the day i bought it..

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I have a 6 yr old battery and I can out run the neighbors dog without trouble!:thumbsup: just kidding don't get all worked up!

I think it's more like about 30-40 runs and you see some fall off but isn't huge and like Doughboy said brand makes a big difference.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
i have a 6 yr old battery and i can out run the neighbors dog without trouble!:thumbsup: Just kidding don't get all worked up!

I think it's more like about 30-40 runs and you see some fall off but isn't huge and like doughboy said brand makes a big difference.:thumbsup:
+1

30 - 40 runs and then some drop off i can understand but not 10 - 12..

If we were talking about 4 cell nimh packs then i could see after 10 - 12 runs but not with great lipo packs like the ones ohp,t/p or smc sell...

Again this is just my opinion..

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I am not sure who thinks they lost pep after 12 runs. But i just set a track record with a 1s lipo pack that is atleast a year old... Granted it was an ohp so its the best out there but still.. A one year old battery running just as good as the day i bought it..

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Like I said it's just MY experience (two BRL championships) but running at BRL races and looking for thousands of a second per lap we can see a drop off in performance and thats with OHP batteries that are the best out there in my opinion. I totaly agree it's not much but thats what it takes when competeing at this level. We raced last night at our local track with 1 year old batteries (OHP) and ran our second fastest time ever but guess what our fastest time ever was with.

·
HobbyTalk Pro
1,204 Posts
A pack will start to lose some performance as the mAh drops over the cycle life. If the IR increases this will also equal to a drop in performance. The class you run the packs in has a big impact on how the packs hold up and how you charge and treat them. This means what works for one racer may not work for another. Way to many variables. Typically a racer who has a perfectly setup car can see a difference between fresh packs and older packs but if your car isn't perfect then going from a 3.72-2.0-6400 to a 3.74-1.8-6800 won't really make a big impact on lap times

We plan on offering more of the lower mAh 7000s at discounted prices this way club level racers can buy lower priced packs and the top level racers can buy these as practice packs or club race packs and keep the better packs for bigger races.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts