Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
This makes me happy for West and Ward especially. I hope Newmar gets a piece of the pie too. Are there any other A-list characters from that show still alive and kicking?

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
I wonder if this license is broad enough to include such things as DVD and Blu-ray releases of the TV series?

These are LONG overdue!

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
I wonder if this license is broad enough to include such things as DVD and Blu-ray releases of the TV series?

These are LONG overdue!
From the article:

"Rights issues resolved on Fox's campy 1960s series"

This was the hold-up on DVD releases of the TV series, so it would be impossible to think that Warner would not cash in with both a DVD and Blu-Ray release of the series. I just hope that both versions are released at the same time so we can have a choice of which version to buy from the beginning.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Be still my heart. Evidently pigs HAVE learned to fly. :thumbsup: Now if the DVDs come through Ill suffer my 1st heart attack.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The article says they can use Burgess Meredith's likeness!!! C'mon somebody! Re-pop the Aurora Penguin kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry

·
Elder Statesman
1,918 Posts
Batman 1966 villian actors still alive. Not sidekicks, main baddies.

1. Malichi Thorne (Flaseface)

2. Zaa Zaa Gabor (Manerva)

3, Joan Collins ( The Siren)

4. Eli Wallach (Mr. Freeze)

5. John Astin (The Riddler)

6 And of course, Julie Newmar and Lee Meriwheater Catwoman

I missed anyone tell me. I hopethis gets us one step closed to the show on DVD, Blu Ray.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Batman 1966 villian actors still alive. Not sidekicks, main baddies.

1. Malichi Thorne (Flaseface)

2. Zaa Zaa Gabor (Manerva)

3, Joan Collins ( The Siren)

4. Eli Wallach (Mr. Freeze)

5. John Astin (The Riddler)

6 And of course, Julie Newmar and Lee Meriwheater Catwoman

I missed anyone tell me. I hopethis gets us one step closed to the show on DVD, Blu Ray.
Thanks - although I doubt we'd see any licensing on Falseface, The Siren or Minerva. I had forgotten that Wallach also played Dr. Freeze and for some reason I thought Astin was deceased. And of course Meriwether played Catwoman in the feature movie.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Not to pee in the proverbial picnic basket, but...

As the article clearly points out, aside from several studios/production companies asserting rights to the show, there is also the thorny issue of stars from other shows appearing in character as Batman & Robin scaled Gotham City's walls that would need to be resolved prior to a DVD/Blu-Ray release (anyone remember the Beavis & Butthead collections? Nevermind that it wasn't the complete series, ALL of the music videos had to be removed due to licensing...kind of gutting the whole idea).

I also don't see any mention that the rights to use the actors likenesses had been resolved with the actors themselves (or their estates)...only the individual STUDIOS. It was common practice back then for actors to sign away rights to their likenesses altogether, or if they had any type of licensing agreement, they tended to be fairly short-term...2 - 5 years depending on the perceived popularity and projected longevity of the show. Which led to some pretty generic looking merchandise until those contracts expired.

I can't help wondering if the ACTORS will benefit from this new deal, or just the studios that now hold the rights to the character/actors' likenesses.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Adam West and Burt Ward likeness approved for new 1966 Batman products.

New kits? Figures for the Batmobile?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118055126.html?cmpid=RSS|News|TVNews
I'd say, 1/6 scale Hot Toys Figures!
and then perhaps a 1/6 scale 1966 Batmobile.
Not for me though, I can't afford it. I'll be passing up the other two large scale Batmobiles (1989 Burton Batmobile, and the Tumbler) because I simply don't have that kind of money.
Still... it is nice to see that they're being made.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Not to pee in the proverbial picnic basket, but...

As the article clearly points out, aside from several studios/production companies asserting rights to the show, there is also the thorny issue of stars from other shows appearing in character as Batman & Robin scaled Gotham City's walls that would need to be resolved prior to a DVD/Blu-Ray release (anyone remember the Beavis & Butthead collections? Nevermind that it wasn't the complete series, ALL of the music videos had to be removed due to licensing...kind of gutting the whole idea).

I also don't see any mention that the rights to use the actors likenesses had been resolved with the actors themselves (or their estates)...only the individual STUDIOS. It was common practice backwe then for actors to sign away rights to their likenesses altogether, or if they had any type of licensing agreement, they tended to be fairly short-term...2 - 5 years depending on the perceived popularity and projected longevity of the show. Which led to some pretty generic looking merchandise until those contracts expired.

I can't help wondering if the ACTORS will benefit from this new deal, or just the studios that now hold the rights to the character/actors' likenesses.
I'm fairly certain the actors get a cut of this. Even though they were studio contracted, it's their likeness that's being used. Without them on board this agreement couldn't be done (for figure-toys).

From Article: WBCP now has the rights to license the likenesses of the actors from Batman as part of the Batman Classic TV Series licensing program. Throughout the duration of the 120-episode run of Batman, the venerable actors of the series include Adam West as Batman, Burt Ward as Robin, Cesar Romero as The Joker, Burgess Meredith as The Penguin, Vincent Price as Egghead and Eartha Kitt as Catwoman, among many others.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts