Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I see it has come to pass... a few other manufacturers have or are releasing 13.5 motors...

Here is a quote from Rick Howart about the new orion/Peak 13.5 motor...

"It is a sticky situation. One one hand, we are not in business to release new products that we don't think are better (faster) that what is already out there, but we do not want it to be so much faster that is is outlawed because of a performance advantage."

If I read this right he is saying their 13.5 is made to be a LITTLE faster than the Novak 13.5. I think we can all see were this is heading... at $75 a pop. Let the Brushless motor wars begin

·
Registered
691 Posts
The places I race at are very specific about what motors are legal. The 4300 class is the Novak motor only. Not quite sure where this will go if everyone starts to make motors they claim are similar. Will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Simple solution. Only allow one brand of motor for a specific series or track. This should be dictated by the racers as we are the ones spending the cheese to buy the motors. I feel that if novak started this thing then lets run novak motors. Till someone invents a dyno that tests the motors at the track to prove equality (and I am sure they will) that this is the only solution!

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Before the questions even gets asked, the BRL will be staying exclusively with the Novak 13.5 and 10.5/4300 motors for years to come.

Peak/Orion is a good company but ask yourself when was the last time you ever saw them support any oval events.

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
I'm all about competition in the marketplace. But I'm more interested in a level playing field [aka BRL]. Novak has definitely gained a huge edge in this brushless thing. The 13.5 and 4300 are "THE" motors that most [probably all] oval tracks in Michigan will stick with.

Dale,
As far as the Dyno thing. I think an inductance meter will tell the difference. That is how they tech the Novak's. Sonny can correct me if I'm wrong here.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Yes please keep it all novak for now. let Rick Howart sell his stuff to the offroad guys! they will love him for it :) but im happy having the novak stuff be legal. like dale said its up to the racers to race what we want. not just buy new stuff every week cause its out there. if someone wants to buy a motor from peak to see if its faster then cool they can practice with it or run it in mod :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You can tech all of them with a meter(kilovolts). Tekin is about to release their speedo's and then their motors will follow. The tekin motors are supposed to be VERY high quality. The technology between the Novak and Tekin will be very different due to not having to have sensors on the Tekin stuff. This is supposed to allow the setup to be more efficient which will allow more gearing, which should result in more speed.

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
4300 is plenty fast for 95% of the guys racing oval.

If you want faster - go mod. That is probably where the Tekin's will fit in. Just like the faster Novak's and the Reedy motors.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hello. I have never raced a car with a brushless motor, and our area is just now talking about switching. which motor-esc should we use? we now run stock & 19 turn on a very short oval track. 80-85 laps per 4 minutes. any help would be appreciated.

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
charger01 said:
Hello. I have never raced a car with a brushless motor, and our area is just now talking about switching. which motor-esc should we use? we now run stock & 19 turn on a very short oval track. 80-85 laps per 4 minutes. any help would be appreciated.
charger01,
I would strongly suggest the Novak 13.5 and a Novak GTB ESC. The 13.5 motor runs like a really really good stock motor.

You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Motors

I don't think you understand....Tekin will have a motor that will be 4300kv ...so the only difference will be Novak runs sensors and Tekin does not.....

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
FroDaddyy said:
You can tech all of them with a meter(kilovolts). Tekin is about to release their speedo's and then their motors will follow. The tekin motors are supposed to be VERY high quality. The technology between the Novak and Tekin will be very different due to not having to have sensors on the Tekin stuff. This is supposed to allow the setup to be more efficient which will allow more gearing, which should result in more speed.
that last sentence if true makes it way diff then the novak 4300 class. all of a sudden somthing like this becomes legal and everyone has to jump to it to be competative. that would suck

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Ah. The Motors wars and speedo's will never quit. When we thought we had a good thing. as usual we need to change. Right when the interest in competative racing was really working well, and growing . But being on the same level is never good enough.
And the old saying it is in the settup.is oh so true.But when everyone will need to keep up with the Brushless speedo and motor of the month club. what has been gained. My .02 worth. not much.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Good call Sonny!

As manufacturers are quick to point out; Oval is not a driving force in the RC market so Sonny’s decision will not effect them in any major way. There sales in Off Road and TC’s will far out weigh what they will not sell in Oval.

I hope that all other organizations will see this issue the same way and keep the same uniformity.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sonny B said:
Before the questions even gets asked, the BRL will be staying exclusively with the Novak 13.5 and 4300 motors for years to come.
Ditto for the ORL. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Porksalot4L said:
that last sentence if true makes it way diff then the novak 4300 class. all of a sudden somthing like this becomes legal and everyone has to jump to it to be competative. that would suck
A 4300kv motor is supposed to be a 4300kv motor...which is techable with an inductance meter ....the statment about being more efficient and more gearing is just speculation at this point.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts