Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 319 Posts

·
2,690 Posts
Brent, I have those figures, they weren't bad at all and I wish they had finished the set. I'm not sure that poor sales for the figures can be blamed on the products as much as the company's poor efforts to sell them. Trendmasters was a terrible mess in the marketing department, and Classic Lost in Space was not a property they understood very well.
The fact that they are now out of business would seem to indicate they didn't understand much at all about selling toys very well.
The LIS figures were in Target stores for about 15 minutes. As far as I know, the only other way to get them was online via Trendmasters or a few other vendors like the one you got yours from. Web sales in 1997-98 weren't what they are today, with so many more people online and eager to buy items they can't get from local sources.
Hopefully the new figures will be reasonably priced, I'd love to get a set.
AT

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hey Brent , AT ,

That's interesting news about Trendmasters original plans to continue the doll line - I hadn't heard that before.

I only have one of those - the Will Robinson one.

I suspect Trendmasters also might have abandoned future LIS related projects because New Line gave up on the LIS movie franchise after the poor showing the first movie did (they were licensed for three movies and already had the cast signed on for the three films).

Throw into the mix the headaches NLC was having over the Icons debacle and the trouble Classics Reborn was having getting off the ground ... ultimately throw Mannetron into the mix and eventually no one seemingly wanted anything to do with LIS and were just waiting for it all to go away.

Checking Norm's website , I see that he is also licensed to build Chariots too so maybe he'll have something interesting down the line as far as remote control ... ??

That really would be Cool! :thumbsup:

Mike

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I had to do some real "gymnastics" to get some of the Trendmasters Classic LIS stuff.

They ONLY thing that was fairly easy to get here was the 10" B-9. TRU stocked them. Man, those things were flying off the shelf! I remember my joy at finding the first one at TRU and taking it to the cashier. She said, "Oh, we finally got these. People have been asking about them." But not another classic LIS item from Trendmasters was ever stocked. NOTHING!

I got their Jupiter 2 playset by placing an early pre-order at a local comic store. Later, they sold them from the Trendmasters Webstore but Trendmasters wouldn't ship to Canada (me). So I had an American buddy order two more for me and trans-ship them.

The big 24" RC B-9 was a real adventure. Some of these showed up at a store in St. Louis. So I contacted a friend in Eugene, Oregon...who contacted his friend in St. Louis. The guy in St. Louis (who I never communicated with directly and didn't know me from Adam) went to the store, bought the robot and UPS'd to me in Winnipeg!

Yeah, Trendmasters certainly wouldn't win any awards for distribution.

·
Registered
938 Posts
i got the trendmaster dolls, big b9 robot , both versions of the jupitor 2 playset. one had yellow lights the other white i believe. they were hard to get a hold of . i got some direct from the company. better distribution would of helped sales. they would of sold tons more! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I also managed to get a couple of the 7 1/2" Trendmasters robots. I suspect that these are among the most uncommon of the TM line. I must admit, it seemed a rather strange choice to make two essentially identical toys: one just a couple of inches shorter than the other.

And I got three of Limited Edition (supposedly 9996 made...according to the label) Trendmasters Chrome robots that were exclusive to Spencer's Gifts. Funny story about the chrome robots. I bought the first one on eBay. I only intended to get one. Later on, I discovered that there were three variations of the chrome bot. One came with a grey laser pistol, one with a blue pistol and one with a red pistol. Mine had a grey pistol.

Several months later, I was picking up my mother from the Grey Hound Bus terminal after she had been on a trip to the U.S.. She handed me a plastic bag and said, "I don't know if you're interested in these but I know you collect Lost in Space stuff." Inside the bag were two chrome robots from Spencer's. My Mother said she initially bought one but they were on sale cheap so she bought another as well. By pure chance, and with no prior knowledge of the chrome robot story, she had purchased one robot with a red pistol and one robot with a blue pistol! I now had the full set.

Editing in a link:

http://groups.msn.com/WorldAccordingtoGair/lostinspace.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=119

Here's pic of one of my display cases. The three chrome bots are on the lower shelf. Standard TM bot is on the top shelf. Also in the picture are the '66 Remco, Keychain bot, Spencers Xmas ornament bot, bot pin, robot and J2 salt and pepper shakers, LIS wristwatches and Chrome J2.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have the 11" robot, 7" robot signed by Bob May, Will & Judy Robinson, Dr. Smith & Don West. The 2ft Robot bith j2's red & yellow lights. I originally had two of the 2ft robots but sold one off for triple of what I paid for it. It was still in the shipping box and never opened. :)

21 - 40 of 319 Posts