Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two Cameros I got out of a beater collection have metal chassis but plastic bodies. DRAAAG! I got some oddball cutting and splicing to do. Suppose I can get some practice hacking out of these before cutting on metal.

The chassis is marked Mattel INC 1982 Malaysia and a HW logo. I only thought those Acceleracers were the only plastic bodys HW made. Learn something every day.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I'm not the only one in the dark here? That oddly makes me feel better. Any HW buffs got the low down on these?

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
actually, I think were tons of cars like that, over the years... I know they didn't do that back in the first years up to the mid 70's...I wonder what the first car they did this with, was?...kind of a rip, being able to call them "die-cast" when only the base is metal. :mad:

...maybe going theu the Tomarts guide? seems like a hard task tho...

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pablodragon said:
actually, I think were tons of cars like that, over the years... I know they didn't do that back in the first years up to the mid 70's...I wonder what the first car they did this with, was?...kind of a rip, being able to call them "die-cast" when only the base is metal. :mad:

...maybe going theu the Tomarts guide? seems like a hard task tho...

Yeah it does seem like a rip-off. Of course now all the chassis are plastic. Suppose I'd rather have it that way than the other. It would be interesting to know what was and wasn't plastic bodied. I'd post the question on that "other place" but I don't go over there to post anymore; after the "Camel" thing. Too many rules, guidelines, restrictions and regulations for me. Its a personal thing.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
found some early ones, .. looks like around 1982, ironically, that's when those Camaros from the first post came out...there was also a bus that year called Rapid Transit that says the body is all plastic

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,702 Posts
ClearHooter said:
The two Cameros I got out of a beater collection have metal chassis but plastic bodies . . .
Could mount them to slot car chassis. Try a long wheelbase Tyco 440, 440X2 or the earlier Curvehuggers, HP2s and HP7s. These chassis line up well with Hot Wheels bodies.

'doba

1 - 10 of 10 Posts