Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Some SMD's come with a super thin wire connected to them . I need to solder fine wire to SMD's . Can someone provide the brand name and type of super fine wire for this job ? Also , I do not want to have burn off or remove a coating on the wire if possible .

Thanks in advance .

Oggy

·
Registered
298 Posts
Magnet wire is what you want. Google for suppliers. There is some that doesn't need the coating removed prior to soldering. I run the wire though a blob of hot solder to remove the coating on wire with it. I get a bunch ready and do them all at once.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
To make a reliable solder joint there must be a 'clean' connection between the metals being joined. That means there is no way around removing the wires insulation before soldering. Magnet wire is a very good choice for soldering to leds since it is a very small diameter. The trick is to strip the wire with the easiest and cleanest method possible.

A couple of years ago I made a video that was originally intended as part one of a How-To video series for hobbyists. If there is enough interest I may revive the series. In part 1 I describe a method for stripping mag wire.

To skip to the mag wire stripping section go to the 3:37 mark:

https://youtu.be/M5M4HMqtECI?t=3m37s

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Matt

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I have heard that magnet coil wire is the best for SMDs. But, there is also soldering SMDs directly to a circuit board. Does anyone know how to do this, given the lack of extended contacts on SMD LEDs? I know it is possible, but does anyone have a tutorial or technique?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts