Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Listen the Wife Called me from Wallyworld @ her Lunch Time.Anyhoo she knew I needed the Herbie Lovebug KIT to complete my PL collection (God I love that Woman!) And well she Called to tell me that the one she had in her hands was a "Johnny Lightning" Prebuilt Diecast. So My question is ISN'T there an UNbuilt Version of Herbie? I really want that one Are these Two Different things? She said This Version Already had the Decals Applied! Could Someone Straighten this out for me? I told her to hold off till I herd from you guys.
THANKS
JOHN/LONFAN

·
Starship Class
11,880 Posts
The JL diecast is in 1/18th scale, IIRC, and is REALLY SWEET! Definitely worth getting, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Yep, I picked up the PL Herbie not that long ago & it's in the regular "Scooby-sized" box. Lots of nice parts in there & it looks like it'll build up nice. Too bad I have 'other' plans for it! :devil:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
PerfesserCoffee said:
The JL diecast is in 1/18th scale, IIRC, and is REALLY SWEET! Definitely worth getting, IMHO.
It does look really nice -- although the "53" decals are just as wrong as the stickers in the kit box.

Qapla'

SSB

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Prince of Styrene II said:
Too bad I have 'other' plans for it! :devil:
You monster! You'll get a face full of used motor oil yet! ;)

Qapla'

SSB

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
saw one of the plastic kits the other day at Hobby Lobby . looked pretty cool . i just might have to get one .
hb

·
Starship Class
11,880 Posts
sbaxter said:
It does look really nice -- although the "53" decals are just as wrong as the stickers in the kit box.
Yep! I noticed that. I bugs the Dickens out of me that they couldn't get that one itty bitty detail right. How hard is it?

Also, the model kit could certainly use a VW emblem on it, IMHO. (Though I'm not sure the original had one on it.)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing an updated movie of Herbie.

Herbie goes Baja !!!

Imagine Herbie with shorter fenders, aluminum wheels, wider tires and a header exhaust like on the old dune buggies :tongue:

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Old_McDonald said:
I wouldn't mind seeing an updated movie of Herbie.
umm... Can I scare you now? There is a new Herbie movie coming out. Herbie: Fully Loaded involves Herbie in the NASCAR circuit. Set to come out in 2005. Most of the scenes shot at California Speedway were during the pace laps of the Target House 300, a NASCAR Busch Series race; and the Pop Secret 500, an NASCAR Nextel Cup race. Stars include Michael Keaton, Matt Dillon, Lindsay Lohan, Dale Jr., Rusty Wallace.

Though this is the first Herbie movie in 20 years, and that time has seen the advent of the New Beetle, Disney is currently leaning towards keeping Herbie an older model car, with racing stripes, labeled with the number 53, though they're still open to a possible redesign. The Hollywood Reporter quoted Disney sources as saying they don't want this movie to merely serve as "a commercial for the new VW Beetle"

And apparently not. After a bit of searching, I found this:
http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Comedy/Herbie_Fully_Loaded&img=

Who's up for a bit of scratching??? :hat:

·
Curmudgeon
6,603 Posts
Once again, Disney gets it w-r-o-n-g! Part of the humor/charm of the first film lies in the fact that Herbie looks like a stock VW sedan, which is why everyone is surprised when it wins races. This thing looks far too race-prepped. Disney should quit while they're behind...

PerfesserCoffee said:
Also, the model kit could certainly use a VW emblem on it, IMHO. (Though I'm not sure the original had one on it.)
In the original film, Disney had the builders remove all of the VW emblems from the cars they used. And, in fact, the car is never referenced to as a VW or Volkswagen; it was simply called a "bug". I'm not 100% sure, but I think this was because of licensing issues with Volkswagen (though I'm not sure how anyone could confuse Herbie with anything other than a VW). However, the VW emblems were in place in all the sequels.

BTW, the racing decals aren't the only thing PL got wrong. The hubcaps are too flat, the license plate light on the rear deck lid began in '64 (Herbie is a '63 and had a narrower light), there should be a radio antenna attached to the left front side panel between the fender and the door (though this sometimes appeared on the right side because of the different vehicles used), and while the external rear view mirror on the passenger side was offered as an optional accessory, Herbie didn't have one. Not that I've noticed... :p

·
Curmudgeon
6,603 Posts
PerfesserCoffee said:
^^Cool info, Zomb! Thanks! :thumbsup:
You're very welcome! Considering I've owned three real VW sedans over the years (so far, anyway), I've done the homework when it comes to original vs modifed, and what parts are correct for what year. And I've been a Herbie fan since the original theatrical Love Bug release in the 60's (though the sequels/remakes keep getting worse all the time). So when it comes to Herbie, I'm probably as "anal retentive" about detail as our many Star Trek members are about their various kits. :eek:

·
Starship Class
11,880 Posts
I owned a '67 Beetle during the late '70s and early '80s. I've always been able to identify them since they have the old style bumpers and new style headlights (12 volt 1500cc engine). Otherwise, I'm a bit lost on the details.

·
Curmudgeon
6,603 Posts
The '67 is considered by many collectors to be the classic year for VW. First year with the smaller headlights, a 12 volt electrical system, 1500 cc engine, front seats with a built-in headrest, and back-up (reverse gear) lights mounted on the rear bumper, among other things. I've owned a '61, a '63, and a '66. Unfortunately, I never had the cash to restore any of them, and I just sold the '63 earlier this year. :cry:

BTW, sorry LonFan, I know this is a bit off-topic.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No Way Zomb- I love reading this stuff! As A Matter Of Fact I Did get the Kit yesterday. So I wanna ask ya' What is the storie with the Heavly Weathered Herbie shown on the back of the kit Box? looks kinda Rusted. Oh and just to go EVEN further OT I also found a Fantastic Toybiz "Doc Ock" 12 inch Figure (From the Movie) Could make for some great Kit Bashing/Repainting! The likeness to Alfred Molina is outstanding!!

JOHN/LONFAN

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Unfortunately, I just sold my '67. Believe me, it wasn't my choice. The good news is that it went to a good family. I owned it for 11 years and did a pan-off restoration about 7 years ago. One of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. My favborite memory: Driving it to the top of Pikes Peak (14,110 feet). You should have seen the looks I got when I reached the top.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
lonfan said:
What is the storie with the Heavly Weathered Herbie shown on the back of the kit Box?
That's Herbie as he comes to look in Herbie Goes Bananas. I didn't care for the film very much. It was the last of the Herbie theatrical films to date, IIRC -- made in the '80s.

Doesn't it make you wonder why Herbie (apparently) kept getting cast aside by his owners, such that he winds up in other hands in all but one of the sequels (again IIRC)?

Qapla'

SSB

·
Starship Class
11,880 Posts
veedubb67 said:
Unfortunately, I just sold my '67. Believe me, it wasn't my choice. The good news is that it went to a good family. I owned it for 11 years and did a pan-off restoration about 7 years ago. One of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. My favborite memory: Driving it to the top of Pikes Peak (14,110 feet). You should have seen the looks I got when I reached the top.
The paint job on your VW resembles, IIRC, an ad that came out in the '60s showing a two-tone paint job on a bug. The ad generally denigrated the idea of such a paint job coming from the factory in order to reinforce the image of the Beetle as an economical car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts