Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel free to offer suggestions as well.

Here is the scenerio. As many already know with the buyout and all, the days of Fest staying in Mishawaka are slim to none. With that, there are two viable options we have. Like Mishawaka, they both have positives and negatives.

Oak Brook IL, just south of Chicago. Home to RC2 and the new outlet store, a Marriott hotel that can offer the same accomodations we need, room and size wise. All within two miles of eachother and the room rate will be about the same as South Bend was. Major airports in Chicago make flying easier and it is in a VERY nice part of town located in an area close to plenty of shopping and food. The RC2 store can handle and hold a special sale but there is no warehouse facility that can hold an event equal to what we have learned to love like the PM Warehouse Sale was that blew out stock at bottom bargain prices. Possible tours could be arranged at RC2 and perhaps some kind of additional tent sale could be set up at the store parking lot. All other Fest events would be backed like the Dinner, PSR and slot racing, and the contests. I can't hammer home enough the idea that if it is held in Oakbrook, we give up the Warehouse Sale type options we had in the past.

Dyersville, IA, home to the Ertl side of the family. IA has an outlet store that hosts no less than two toy and collectible shows a year so they are well schooled on how to run an event like Fest. Since the Warehouse is in Dyersville, a Warehouse Sale like we have all come to know and love would be possible at this location as well. There are hotels that can handle a dinner for our size and an area for events but they may not be all at the same place. This location also requires more effort to get there.

Some thought and input regarding these possible venues would be appreciated. The date looks like a possible end of summer scenerio now as well.

Mark

R

·
0 Posts
Well, I like the thought of everything under one roof, as opposed to driving all over to go to the Fest Dinner, then leave to the fest, then back out again to do room to room stuff. Sounds like Dyersville would require everyone to have a car or to try to catch rides with somebody all the time. AND you have to get there

But hey, that's just me, I have to drive no matter where it is, but the idea of leaving the hotel to drive to the Fest ot to get to the Fest Dinner sounds like a pain in the butt to me

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lightningrick said:
I'm with Rob on the travelin for each event. If Indiana is a no no, I vote for Oak Brook IL. I also like having another Marriott hotel, a super place to put on the Fest.
I also like the idea of the tour and they could still have a tent sale.
The tent sale and tours are maybes. Don't lock anything in yet.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
is the ware house going to carry jl cars or just rc/ertel cars or both will be there?

R

·
0 Posts
Mark,

I guess I just kinda have no opinion on the warehouse sale now that Sherry has her store, She can buy from RC2 at their dealer sale and I can buy from her (I get a great discount!! lol) this year at the warehouse sale I only spent about $200 and out of that only like $30 was mine, so I wouldn't miss it that much I don't think.

Rob

·
7,461 Posts
I say Oakbrook...

As far as the warehouse sale... well its always been a side attraction.

Mark, I'm glad we have you going to bat for us... thanks...

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I too am going to join the Oakbrook bandwagon. I'm kinda looking forward to seeing a tour of RC2 if possible and not to mention meet with some of the reps up in that neck of the woods. Plus it would be a shorter drive for me to get there. And I would too like to have the whole shabang in one place.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
either location is fine for me,i'll be there where ever it is! but it would be nice to have it all under one roof!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
midtown said:
I'm up for another Chicago trip. Been 2X this year. Just as long as it's not in the South Side.
Hey, I see the Red Sox play my Cubs at Wrigley Field in June on the 10,11&12 2005. Maybe it will be a WS preview:thumbsup:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Never been to the Fest, wrong time of year for me to get away (but there's always next year!). I have been to plenty of conferences, conventions, etc. and the more things going on in one place, the more interaction among the attendees there is. I gather that is an endorsement of Chicago, which has a whole lot of other cool things to plan a trip around as well. Make it a vacation, family trip, whatever.

On the other hand, I would like to attend a warehouse sale at least once, just for the chance at some older things I never sale at retail (Rocket sets, pewter, most of the dioramas, etc.) That ship may have already sailed.

Mike

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
"I hate small yipping dogs,"is my biggest opinion right now.

..as far as a fest location goes,"build it and they will come"
(you could throw a whopping bash in the Sahara desert,Mark!)

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
And Oakbrook for my vote too Mark.
Direct flight to O'hare without the transfer flights means much cheaper fares (in my case about 160.00).
I'll miss the warehouse sale in regard to the 1.00 per car deals though. I wish I would have stocked up last trip.

Oh well there is always Dollar Tree or KayBee three for 5...

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

:thumbsup:

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
The voice of reason - the question that needs to be asked is: What will generate the most attendence and participation??

My thought - Chi-Town. As a sponsor and a vendor of the show, that speaks more to me than trying to get to central, IA - no offense Fleetwood's.

Easier to fly in and out of - cheaper than shuttle flights to po-dunk.

Additional positives, one event area - like ROb said - promotes hanging out and little transport time. Equivalent accomidations is definitely a plus. And as long as the dinner and the show and so one is going, the "warehouse" style sale is secondary in my eyes. It is not like they are cuttting the sale all together. And since it is JL FEST they would almost have to lay in JLS for the event or I would would question their sanity. Also the RC side of the world leans more toward the JL collector than the Ertl world. What does it matter whether it is a warehouse or a tent and a store - it is all a sale....

I guess you have to think about the logic and what will grow the event, more than driving the event by whether the sale is in a large garage (as that was no warehouse PM Had) or in tents and a building store.

Then again, I am just the voice of reason and I have now spoken!!

(Mod, you got my back here??)

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Yes, whatever Dip says...
:thumbsup:
Actually, turnout and volume should really be the first concern as Dip says. I'd like to see the next Fest out-do the HW Convention in numbers.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
My vote is also for Oakbrook. I think you'll get a better turnout there. Lots more people in the Chicagoland area to draw into the event.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts