Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 3 questions. 1-what is the best way to open a hot wheels pack
without damage i have cars i want to put in packs.2-what is the best thing to use to remove decals from the plastic body.3-what is the correct size
drill bit to drill out rivets.my son is 15 and wants to try some customizing
so i thought i would ask here because you guys are good. thanks for any
help you can give us
thanks,chris:wave::wave:

·
Registered
304 Posts
plastic bodies, I have used just a bit of paint thinner, you cant do this to many times but it is the best way i know of, I use 1/8 drill bit to unrivet the cars, tell him good luck..

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hey Bowtie you could try a little fingernail polish remover to take off the that decal and when your done take some "COLGATE" toothpaste to polish it up toothpaste is very fine and won't scratch!{ look what it does to your pearly whites!!} give it shot!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
i have 3 questions. 1-what is the best way to open a hot wheels pack without damage
Use an eyedropper to soak the BACK of the card with acetone/fingernail polish remover. This will melt the glue temporarily and allow moving the blister with little or no tearing to the card, but you will want to let it soak in, possibly reapply small amounts before trying to move the blister. I suggest applying the acetone ONLY on three of four sides of the blister, leaving one still attached.
To reseal...wet the blister (w/acetone) to remelt the glue or use small amount of clear adhesive.

2-what is the best thing to use to remove decals from the plastic body.
That one can be tricky.
Plastic bodies dont like thinners very well and are likely to melt as you rub.
Some soak in automotive brake fluid..but this usually takes awhile and I cant speak for this method any more than that.
I try to avoid plastic myself, but have had some luck using a ultra fine clearcoat polish to remove tampos on windshields.

3-what is the correct size drill bit to drill out rivets
You might wanna look through my "The Basics" tutorial on my site, it has pretty much everything you need to know to get started tearing one down.

Hope this helps...and fair warning...this IS addictive!:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

thanks to everyone that replied to my call for help.kb we will be visiting
your sight for help on customizing.i've been to different events and ask
the same questions and couldn't get answers.i'm glad i found hobby talk
the folks here are allways helpful and don't seem to mind sharing info.
thanks again,chris:wave::wave:

·
Registered
995 Posts
I'm in the same boat you are right now. Looking for advise and tips and tricks. I must say that the hotworldcustoms site is the best one I've come across so far.

KB, don't take that personally, I mean you no slight. But your site is not as user-friendly as HWC. I have picked up a few tips from your site I hope to apply in the near future (gotta find those tiny-azz'ed screws! LOL)

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
OK, if you have two years and nothing else to do with it, you can use "goo-b-gone" and buff off the graphics, but MAN is's sloooooooow! I use it to remove the tampos on clear windows with no harm at all, so I pretty sure it will work on all plastic.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The best thing I have found for removing the blister from the card is Lighter fluid, use outdoors only, soak the card from the back and wait 5 minutes reglue after card has dried.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Jeep'rs :
None taken...Im a proud contributor to HotWorld too and have supported Dip's efforts since day one. :thumbsup:
Altho it may take a little more use of the search box at my site, there are literally years worth of documented user experiences to draw from when searching for answers to what may be affecting your airbrush/customs work.
Hope that doesnt sound defensive...just pointing out that both sites have their own merits which may help you in one way or another.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Haven't had to remove paint or decals from plastic in many, many years. But I used to use Cox Model Aircraft Fuel. I assume most of the fuel would be similar and not aggressive to plastic since many Model AC are either plastic or foam. It takes paint and decals off without crazing the plastic. I wouldn't use it on the newer windshield plastic however. I've used lighter fluid to release the blisters. Haven't tried the acetone.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I tried removing tampos with nail polish remover a couple of times with rotten results. It damages the plastic, so you may wnat to try on a plastic body you don't need first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts