Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm helping out my son with a summer school project.

Does anyone have any info on the following....

- Who are the main die cast importers / distributors in the US and Canada?

- What are the top die cast magazines around the world? I could only find copies of Scale Auto where I live, but could not see anything else for die cast vehicle collecting.

Thanks a lot everyone!

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I also subscribe to Toy Cars & Models , along with Scale Auto Enthusiast .
As far as distributors , thats a tough one . My area toy guy 'Tys Toys ' is a local distributor for Ertl products .. Most stores probably can get directly from Ertl too - for their products . As far as other brands , such as Maisto , Sun Star , Road Legends , etc , I dont know .

·
Administrator
28,189 Posts
It is 15 years down the road now and hopefully his son is done with college by now....

But, this is still a good question for us today. :thumbsup:

We are in the midst of compiling a master makers list that does now include distributors, but as has been noted - the sites and printed information primarily dates back to 2006.

HobbyDB does have more current information and includes newer diecast companies, but is essentially starting with the Encyclopedia of Small-Scale Diecast Motor Vehicle Manufacturers - Sahakangas, Foster & Weber (2006) information as well.

So, what other new diecast companies have surfaced recently? We have aleady included 1 Badd Ride, Grell and ZURU. Are there others out there?

Sahakangas et al also have noted Bauer (HK), Beetle Toys (Poland), BKL (UK), Duvi (France), Eire (USA), Esteryka (Czechoslovakia), Famous (?), Giftco (?), Graf's Lister (?), Hip Chong (HK), Hudson (USA), Littletoy (?) - not Litl Toy though, Lucky Toys (HK), Merry Toy (Australia), Midget (UK), Minatue Vehicle Mfg (?), Minibox (HK), Miniland Minatures (Taiwan), Nelson (?), Nelson Lee (?). Nitto (Japan), Novaluz (HK), PB (?), Rialto (Holland), Ringo (HK), RTC (UK), Tecnorren (Itally), Tel's Novel T's (?), Toy Farmer (USA), Toy House (HK), Vintage Castings (?) and Weeehicles (?) as needing additional research.

·
Administrator
28,189 Posts
They also note these model kit companies of makers of small scale sized models. I recognize Herpa, Mini-Mites and Varney. Are there others to note?

Busch (Germany)
Eko (Spain)
Herpa (Germany)
Ingap (Italy)
Mini-Mite (and Godry-Mite)
Minix (UK)
National Toys (HK), and
Varney (USA)

·
Administrator
28,189 Posts
We have already tied in Supreme (Hong Kong) to Sunnyside brand castings thanks to @Motorcade, but not really associated Mannix (Hong Kong) with any brands or distributors they make castings for.

Are there other diecast makers to account for?

:lurk5:

·
Administrator
28,189 Posts
And let us not forget HobbyTalk also has non metal diecast vehicle collector sections as well. Kinder fits their already, but there are probably more makers out there in wood, plaster, tin, glass and other media as well.

I saw a covered wagon kit at Hobby Lobby just last week in about 1:25 scale hanging on the pegs in their dio aisle.

Let us know what you have in these catagories as well.

:cheers2:

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
We have already tied in Supreme (Hong Kong) to Sunnyside brand castings thanks to @Motorcade, but not really associated Mannix (Hong Kong) with any brands or distributors they make castings for.

Are there other diecast makers to account for?

:lurk5:
I have quite a few odd brands/makers to add. But better to deal with them ...When I get to them.
I've not checked if they are makers/distributors/promos etc...
:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
28,189 Posts
It's all a work in progress! Remember that N to Z are still listed with reference to small scale diecast brands primarily. Often brands also distributed or marketed with other companies in other scales while they made small scale stuff as well. And we can always capture or update information along the way. :cheers2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts