Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually post in the diecast customs forum. Other than Vac.U.Forming a Porsche Speedster I've had little to do with the slot car end of the hobby. Got to looking at the Speedster today and was inspired to inquire with maybe an interest in setting up a track. Got a bunch of questions:

Is there a place in this forum for FAQ like these?

I know HO is a bit smaller than 1/64. Clearance-wise. Will 1/64 bodies run on an HO track?

Can HO tracks be built from plyboard like the 1/32 or 1/24 scale tracks? If so what is used for contacts on the track?

Can the motors and chassis be purchased seperate from bodies?

Is there a standard chassis size?

Are there any chassis small enough to put a F1 body on them?

What are the best ways to attach vac bodies to chassis?

·
Most Interesting Member
6,313 Posts
1. Is there a place in this forum for FAQ like these?

2. I know HO is a bit smaller than 1/64. Clearance-wise. Will 1/64 bodies run on an HO track?

3. Can HO tracks be built from plyboard like the 1/32 or 1/24 scale tracks? If so what is used for contacts on the track?

4. Can the motors and chassis be purchased seperate from bodies?

5. Is there a standard chassis size?

6. Are there any chassis small enough to put a F1 body on them?

7. What are the best ways to attach vac bodies to chassis?
Welcome to the slot car side CH. I'm sure you will get several responses, but I'm gonna throw my best thoughts out there and listen to the rest.

1. You can find great advice in each category. Tracks, Tuning, Customizing, Collecting, there seems to be an expert in every area here, open to give advice, and to try new ideas. This is truly unrivaled by any other board I've seen.

2. 64th scale bodies will run on HO track. Aurora, AFX, Tomy and Autoworld tracks were designed for Tjet scale cars, a little smaller than 64th scale, but 64th scale cars will still run on these tracks. All other manufacturers use a larger spacing in between lanes for 64th scale cars, but they do not have the variety of turns available to make different layouts.
There are several threads on this in the Track Building section.

3. You can build an HO track from plyboard, but most prefer MDF. The contacts can be made out of a variety of materials. If you use braid or tape for the rails, you will have to modify the chassis for braided pick ups. If you route slots for wire or rail, you can run the cars as is.
Threads on the track can be found in the Track Building section.
Threads on the cars and modifications can be found in the Tuning section.

4. Yes

5. Kind of... generally there is the Tjet size, then all the rest.

6. Yes, the Tyco Narrow 440x2 chassis, the AFX/Tomy Narrow Turbo & SG+, and the new Mega G chassis.

7. Most people use pins and posts, although us lazy folk use velcro or 2way tape.

Hope this helps,
Rich
www.myspace.com/northtexasslotcars :thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts