Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys maybe one of you can answer this one.I just got in a sealed Aurora gladiator from a Client that wants me to build it up for him now when broke the seal and opened it all parts were present except one.The Netting:freak:!Does anyone have a spare and better yet look at the pic does that look like original seal or a home job?

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
I'm no expert but it looks like a home job to me too. But we are talking about 45-50 year old cellophane!

As far as the netting...I think you might be able to use something like what an onion bag looks like....or similar type of food bag for produce.

Good luck!

MMM

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm no expert but it looks like a home job to me too. But we are talking about 45-50 year old cellophane!

As far as the netting...I think you might be able to use something like what an onion bag looks like....or similar type of food bag for produce.

Good luck!

MMM
Bob this feels like saranwrap not cello that have on my ps kits.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Wolfie,

There's a photo of a buildup in Classic Plastic. As for the box wrap, I recall that double seam down the back of the box vividly. The ultimate test would of course be when you opened it up - did you get a whiff of the "Auroroma"?

Have a good weekend!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I've owned two of these kits over the years and one of them was missing the netting. For that one I substituted the netting from this Catwoman action figure. This netting was about equal size to the original netting and is arguably more historically accurate because it has weights attached to it like the real ones did.*

*If you decide this net might work as a substitute - pm me wolfman66.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Some window screen mesh should work OK. The original net on mine is hexagonal and not as close together, but I would'nt mind using some if I didn't have the original. I actually did use some for my original Aurora Spider-Man kit. I just didn't like the look of the thick plastic webbing that came with the kit. Otherwise, the suggestion to use the plastic stuff on turkeys, etc. would be good too.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
If the net's hexagonal (I've never seen this kit in person), then perhaps a material called tule might work. It should be available from your local dressmaker or haberdashery. It's usually white but it takes paint well. It's a net with hexagonal holes. I believe it's used to make wedding veils amongst other things.
No doubt Aurora sourced the net material from elsewhere- maybe tule is what they used....
The seal looks about right to me. Yours looks like it was heat sealed though. I think all Auroras from that era were glued. The seal should have a thin, brittle, crinkly feel to it if it's original.
I can't wait to see what magic you work on this one Dan!!:wave:

Chris.:)

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Hi Danny...Yep ...
Looks like the Old School Seam to me :thumbsup:
Here's my 1965 Born Losers Hitler...

I remember all the old Auroras with this double Seam...also there ought to be a coupon on the instructions saying if any parts are missing , Aurora will gladly send you the parts that are missing for the small sum of 25 cents for postage!...Uh....good luck with that...:wave:
Cheers!
Mcdee

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Old aurora wrap was very thin and crinkly like the wrap on cigarette paper. If its soft or rubbery feeling it could be modern. But the style of the seal looks original.

Actual Roman netting was probably square and very simple... i wouldn't sweat it. You could make a net easily with a home made peg loom and either tie it or CA glue it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
For what it's worth — as I don't have this kit and haven't seen one in person for probably 45 years — I recall that the netting provided was on the stiff side, and consequently did not droop or drape in a natural way.

If your client is fussy about the model looking absolutely original, then you'll have to look for a similarly stiff material as a replacement. But if your client is not so particular, I would suggest looking for a hair net. A lot of the hair nets available today, (like so many other things) are cheap, thin, and plastic-y. But there are older/higher end types that are made from cotton and the mesh itself is thicker, consequently looking more rope-like and real. It might take a bit of looking, but worth it.

When I was a kid, one of the neighbourhood boys had taken one of his mom's hair nets (of this older style) and, I guess what you could call a "customizing job", replaced the Aurora netting that came with the kit. I remember it to this day. It looked fabulous and I thought at the time that it was a tremendous improvement.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Old aurora wrap was very thin and crinkly like the wrap on cigarette paper. If its soft or rubbery feeling it could be modern. But the style of the seal looks original.
I remember the Bride of Frankenstein and the Addams Family Haunted House had the double seam and,yes, that cello was brittle as the cello on a cigarette pack...but I also remember my King Kong with the same seam but the cello was rubbery like the wrap on a loaf of bread, or like saran wrap...My Born Losers Hitler is rubbery even after 45 years as are my Aurora Fokker 1976 and my Denty Whoozis kit from 1967 that are all still factory sealed :wave:
Mcdee

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Okay, I've attached the photo from Classic Plastic below. The netting looks like the "tulle", or bridal veil material that A-nut mentioned, to me. It would have been cheap and easily available for Aurora to include with the kit, but whether it's authentic netting for a Roman gladiator I will leave to the history buffs here.

Since we're making this issue so complicated, may I add that I don't know if the stuff in this photo was indeed the original kit material. The netting may have been missing from the builder's kit and he used the tulle to replace it. Maybe Zorro or Frankie Boy, who claim they've seen the original material, can authenticate it. Or you could watch a Sword and Sandal epic, maybe Spartacus (the Gladiator with Sword kit was rereleased with that name), and see what their nets looked like. Then you could make your own to suit.

To do so, I would suggest using thin wire, like the strands you can separate from electrical "zip" cord. It's easier to control than any fabric threads and will hold its shape when you pose it in Trident Guys' hand. As djnick suggested, superglue would get the job done pronto.

Hope you don't get too enmeshed in this project.

Har.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Since we're making this issue so complicated, may I add that I don't know if the stuff in this photo was indeed the original kit material. The netting may have been missing from the builder's kit and he used the tulle to replace it. Maybe Zorro or Frankie Boy, who claim they've seen the original material, can authenticate it.
It's been a few years, but that netting in the Classic Plastic photo looks too long to me. I found this photo and even though it doesn't fully show the net this one looks more authentic to me. I do seem to remember the net being brown in color.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The picture from the book shows netting that looks like the original netting on my kit - I checked it personally last night before making my earlier post. My kit is an original, I bought it myself when I was a kid, and I used the netting stuff that came with the kit. It still has the paint bubbles and embedded paintbrush bristles in the paint to prove it!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Mark (and others):
The netting in the picture you provided looks like the original stuff, but as I qualified earlier, I haven't seen this kit in person for about 45 years. What I remember, however, is that it was thin and stiff and very much like what bridal veil tulle would look and feel like — again, as best as I can recall.

But the photo Zorro submitted, is almost a dead ringer for the hair net substitute I mentioned. It was brown, thick, heavy, and looked far more realistic than the "tulle" that originally came with the kit.

·
Registered
655 Posts
One more thing, I agree with Zorro about the netting in the picture Mark supplied. It does look longer than I recall it being ... at least in the kit I had. It barely touched the base, which made its "drape" all that more unconvincing.

On the other hand, I don't know to what extent there was quality control on this particular piece, because I remember that there were some pretty wild fluctuations in the feathers that came with the knights, and this non-styrene piece of netting may have had similar differences from kit to kit.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
That's the netting I have on my kit, that hexagonal stuff. I'm glad I wasn't imagining that I used the original netting when I built it back in the 1960's!:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts