Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new at drag racing and would like to start.I race in mobile in the parking lot with a L4 in circles.I have a couple of L4s,a L3 and a TC3 and a TC4 all elect of course.I was just informed sunday that a track was gonna be built in bayou labatre thats 165ft drag strip and also a 200Ft oval as well.I dont know anything about drag racing these cars but,can yall steer me in the right direction.I was guessing a good esc and motor and something like a prostock car.any help would be appreciated.thanks kenny

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hey Kenny,

This is Ken from www.Dragraceconcepts.com a good set up to go with would be a mamba max pro 7700kv system. This is the most common system used and is what I put in customer builds. Since is brushless and the speedo has an adjustable throttle profile you will get a good amount of tunibility out of it.

If you need anything else, let us know.

Ken
www.Dragraceconcepts.com

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks ken,I have the site saved and was looking at the prostock chassis.I talked to the guy today and he said the track will be more in codan(i hope I got that right)close to bayou labtre.He is gonna get on here and let people know about it.He is a real nice guy and gonna try and get more support for the tracks down here.thanks for your help-I will be posting you for sure.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking at the electric pro mod or the elect super gas in the imdra site.I will tell ya ,I am new and have alot of questions.I live on the gulf coast and dont know of relly any tracks close to me.we are not to far from shreveport ,la and on the other side we arent to far from pensacola,fl.I do know mr bosarge is planning on building a track in Al.I am racing pan cars and was racing 1/4 scale series in montgomery.Al.I would like to have a drg car and dont mind buying a good chassis,they look not to hard to work on.Is the 7700 or the novak GTB with a say 5.5 or 8.5 ok to run in a class .?thanks for yalls help and the chassis,is something like a pro mod or prostock car good to buy for first timer.I really like the mustangs and the older camaros and would like to have a old 64 fairlane----On a side note,I found out that
mobile dragway is now IHRA sanctioned in Al.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey ken,is team walbern a chassis the way to go or do they have other chassis?I hate to ask dumb questions but,would like something to hold up,easy to get parts for and a company that is not going out of business.(oops I forgot,that can be anyone now).I jsut have a few cars,I have a tc4 and use it for VTA and L4 and a Hyperdrive pr4 slider for pn cars.I was trying to find a class I can run in that I can afford.I appreciate the help.kenny

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kenny, have you looked at Urban Assault Racing cars?

Edit: forgot to add that we have to RC drag clubs here in Texas. I know it's a trek for y'all but we would love for you to come race in the Texas Twister series. The dates are posted at www sadragracing com and www gcdragracing com. There's 6 races that constitute the series.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for the info,I really would like to talk to a few guys around here.I am gonna try and call mr Bosarge in Bayou Labatre and see if he is serious about the tracks,he wants to do the 200 ft oval and the drag strip,he has a few older cars that he likes do go all out with.He is a real nice guy .He told me about it and my ears perked up.I hope he is serious,It sounds like he is.This is what turned me to Drag car.I use to drag race in Mobile at the Mobile Dragway.I got burned in 01 and cant do very much,I tried to go up north to Montgomery to race 1/4 scale,now going in circles -LOL-I am gonna go and look at the site.I didnt know about them but,will look for sure.thanks kenny

·
Registered
641 Posts
kenny good starting car not alot of money is a grand motor sport spec
around 150.00 comes with everything but electrics. just need to change rear hubs to metal.
use a 6.5 novak and gtb esc. with a TP 2s 40c hardcase lipo
will be a good 2.0 car

plus 1 servo and radioand reciever

pan cars are really to wide wheel base
if you can get your hand on an old bones car, or beefy spec they can be good drag cars

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I havent seen the grand motor sport one yet.I will tke a look at that one too.I do have a couple of motors and a GTB 1711-I will have to get a lipo different than what i have.I have 5000 30c 7.4.

·
Registered
641 Posts
if you got any 2s lipo good to start. grand motor sport has link on rcdrags.com
buy through rccarkings.
i got gms spec w/ 7700 mamba tp2s50c that runs 1.7 83.+ mph
you dont have to spend alot to run good but like oval to run with the best does take time and money

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you got any 2s lipo good to start. grand motor sport has link on rcdrags.com
buy through rccarkings.
i got gms spec w/ 7700 mamba tp2s50c that runs 1.7 83.+ mph
you dont have to spend alot to run good but like oval to run with the best does take time and money
I will check him out for sure.I need some batteries for sure .I only have the cheap hong kong 5000s they are ok but,not legal ,i dont think.I will look him up.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have any races scheduled in South AL/MS/LA, please keep us posted. We'd like to attend.
I just talked to Mr Bosarge today and going to go over in the morning to take some paper work on all yalls sites and on imdra.com..He told me that he was gonna have a track and a drag strip,we dont know how long it needs to be,how wide or the legal stuff.Do any of you know so we can get a start?thanks kenny

·
Registered
641 Posts
imdra site has min. size for track. check rule book
racing length is 132' min. 9' wide lane 10' perfered need atleast 150' shutdown plus 10' before starting line. plus a timing system.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imdra site has min. size for track. check rule book
racing length is 132' min. 9' wide lane 10' perfered need atleast 150' shutdown plus 10' before starting line. plus a timing system.
So am i safe to say total 165 ft and 10 ft total across or 10ft each lane.I will go and look in the rules but,just asking crazy questions-thanks for helping me out here.kenny

·
Registered
5 Posts
So am i safe to say total 165 ft and 10 ft total across or 10ft each lane.I will go and look in the rules but,just asking crazy questions-thanks for helping me out here.kenny
Kenny, as popsss said, you need the track to be about (10+132+150) = 292 ft long. The lane widths that you propose are good. Oh, and I think the spectators and pits need to be at least about 10ft away from the lanes.

As for timing systems, we at GCRCDR use a Portatree system. Race America is also used by some clubs.

Hope all works well with Mr. Bosarge. Good luck!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am getting everything ready as we speak and gonna take it with me.I appreciate all the help,I did find some of the info last night.I dont think they realize the shut down area had to be so long.I seen a few videos and see why that is,Is all tracks built like that are is some just a llittle shorter than others?-It looks like in some areas of videos the track looks shorter tha n some.Oh at the end for safer barriers,can we use like hay bails or something for cushing to absorb the car and keep people safe?thanks kenny

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have a long shut down so we don't use anything at the end of the track. The ones that are limited to about 150ft use blankets, catch nets, cushions, etc. So the answer is yes.

With cars going as fast as they do these days, an adequate shut down is a necessity.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts