Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a while since I did a model of the Refits detail and complexity. I am finding that I am having trouble doing some of the tiny details.

I have been succesful with the tiny construction details and now I am beginning painting. I am using primarily Model Masters Acrylics. Applied whereever possible with an airbrush.

For example, in the officers lounge the chairs are a different color than the wals or floor. How have you all been able to paint those tiny chairs and still have the paint job look so neat???

Did you actually mask the room and just airbrush the chairs??

What are you using for a "brush"?? pins?? a single hair on the brush???

Do you thin the paint to lower its cohesion??

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I will probably use a five 0 brush and paint from a rattle can sprayed into a cup for that work. It's so tiny and behind windows you should be fine. Just make sure the paint is nice and smooth going on and not thick.

·
Registered
115 Posts
this is where painting gamesworkshop stuff comes in handy. i would use a brush with a slightly thinned acrylic paint for a base coat, an then use a heavily thinned black or any dark colour as a wash to bring out definition. if you want, then apply a highlight. It may look a little extreme but it will show more detail through those tiny windows. It may sound a little old school, but it does work.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise guys. I will try things out. Looks like there are a couple og good routes to go.

Mark

·
Registered
716 Posts
Something to consider...
I do a lot of microscope work on my job.
binocular style microscope, so if you can ever pick one up cheap somewhere, they can make things much easier when using tiny tools.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boy do I agree with that suggestion CesnaDriver! I have a 20/40 power stereo one and it is very helpfull.

Mark

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Krako
Thanks for the link. It was yours that got me started. So if I am following correctly you:
1) Painted the general room color first
2) Masked off everything exposing just the chairs you wanted the orange-brown color
3) Painted the chairs
4) then hand painted the cushions.

Did I get this correct?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yep. That's how I did mine. You're bound to have a little bit of overspray here and there, but that's easily fixed with a detail brush and just a tiny bit of paint.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Krako. Your fine detail has beeen so stunning that I was hoping you would notice this thread.

Mark

·
Starship Class
11,863 Posts
Borz666 said:
this is where painting gamesworkshop stuff comes in handy. i would use a brush with a slightly thinned acrylic paint for a base coat, an then use a heavily thinned black or any dark colour as a wash to bring out definition. if you want, then apply a highlight. It may look a little extreme but it will show more detail through those tiny windows. It may sound a little old school, but it does work.
I second that method. Washes and highlighting often give a more realistic look to small details. Even though it may look sloppy under a microscope, at about the shortest distance most folks' eyes can focus, you'll get a cool scale look to the job.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
if you cant find/afford the microscope, theres a magnifying visor i use, brand name of "optivisor". they are available at jewlers suppliers and some fine tool suppliers. its very helpful (and good fun when solicitors come to the door to make you really look insane)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts