Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little info. I have heard about running in #6 setting. I'm running a Novak Ballistic 13.5 with the SPX. I've been using it in mode 7 with the timing on the motor set in the middle. Motor comes off the track around 128 degrees or lower. Can I bump the timing up on the motor or should I go to mode 6 and crank the timing on the motor?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that's what I'm going to do.

I've been gearing by laptimes, but watching the temp too.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
temp is a bad indicator with single cell... My motors come off between 105 and 112 and I'm usually a lap or so quicker than anyone else. My other 13.5 ran the same and came off anywhere between 125 and 140. Lap times are about the only indicator you can really use now, unless, of course, the motor comes off at 180... lol

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
What do you guys look for in lap times to help with gearing? I've been wondering where I should be with mine?

Bill

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 tenths is about what I'm getting too. I gear up to get the early laps faster and watch how much it falls off at the end.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
single cell cars shouldn't drop off during a 4 or even 5 minute run, they don't build any heat and you don't even lose enough mah to effect the voltage,if they are and your running more than 25 on dual rate look into freeing car up some
13.5 duo2 timing maxed on setting 8 with o7 sphere is what we have been testing motors not dropping off and temp around 105-115
leaving timing alone and drop 2 teeth go up to profile 7 on spx look at lap times

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
If I go out there and run 4 minutes in 13.5 (non my stuff isnt the best) but I have to put 1700 to 1800 mah back in the battery after 4 minutes...I would think that the lap times would fall off. The battery goes out at 4.2 volts and comes back at 3.8 its going to loose mah as well as the lap times are going to drop off.

outside in 10.5 we used 2500 mah in 4 minutes....thats half the mah of the pack...the lap times are going to fall off.

I'm sorry but i have to disagree.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
If I go out there and run 4 minutes in 13.5 (non my stuff isnt the best) but I have to put 1700 to 1800 mah back in the battery after 4 minutes...I would think that the lap times would fall off. The battery goes out at 4.2 volts and comes back at 3.8 its going to loose mah as well as the lap times are going to drop off.

outside in 10.5 we used 2500 mah in 4 minutes....thats half the mah of the pack...the lap times are going to fall off.

I'm sorry but i have to disagree.
You also have to be careful with the spx and your timing settings. The amp draw on settings 7 and 8 is almost double that of 6...so yeah its going to make ALOT more RPM but your amp draw is threw the roof.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
10.5 drops off but 13.5 doesn't and shouldn't,the old days nimh yes you would see the drop like that ,look around lap 3-4 and at the end of the run in 13.5 you still should be running same lap times..the discharge curve with lipo is almost flat to a point for the first half of the pack.anyway just noting what we've noticed so far.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
10.5 drops off but 13.5 doesn't and shouldn't,the old days nimh yes you would see the drop like that ,look around lap 3-4 and at the end of the run in 13.5 you still should be running same lap times..the discharge curve with lipo is almost flat to a point for the first half of the pack.anyway just noting what we've noticed so far.

Could we see your credentials for you to make a rediculous statement like this. The only # in lap times that doesn't change in 13.5 would be the first digit. :rolleyes:

Lap times in 13.5 generaly fall of .2 over a 4 minute run. Just take a look at any race result from any track.

·
Registered
769 Posts
thats good for the last minute but you gotta make sure you can drive the crap out of it that last minute to catch back up to the guys that geared a little more to pull you the first 2 minutes

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
we drop 2 -3 tenths in a 5 minute run in 21.5\lipo but barely dropped a tenth in a 5 minute run in 1cell 13.5 ,more gear slowed car ,any suggestions then,we need some help in the slower classes.
btw.. raced with snowbirds promod a-main type guy's .. same lap bro..if you want more info get me your email and i'll send you a list over the past 20 years..it wasn;t that funny,just an observation we noticed so far in testing the single cell 13.5 stuff

·
Registered
769 Posts
we drop 2 -3 tenths in a 5 minute run in 21.5lipo but barely dropped a tenth in a 5 minute run in 1cell 13.5 ,more gear slowed car ,any suggestions then,we need some help in the slower classes.
btw.. race with snowbirds a-main type guy's .. same lap bro..if you want more info get me your email and i'll send you a list over the past 20 years..
buddy i aint knockin you. no need to get on the defensive. its hard to get a car to be efficient like that. my 21.5 car at snowbirds was a tenth slower then ghoneys up front but a tenth faster at the end. still quick enough to qualify 2nd that way. but i still think your gonna end up seeing more of a drop in 13.5, give it a few more weeks.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
i guess i need to stop thinking like the old 4 cell promod days and get the car quicker up front and sacrafice a little on the back side..there just isn't the big voltage drop over from'
15 seconds in to 240.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Could we see your credentials for you to make a rediculous statement like this. The only # in lap times that doesn't change in 13.5 would be the first digit. :rolleyes:

Lap times in 13.5 generaly fall of .2 over a 4 minute run. Just take a look at any race result from any track.
I think Metal knows what he's talking about. He was plenty fast last weekend at the BRL race. I was watching the laps of the fast guys and some of them maybe over geared and dropped almost 4 tenths.

Hey Metal, what speedo are you running?

Thanks again for backing off in the main to let me try and catch Klyber. I owe you one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts