Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I need to make a landscape for a diorama (my first landbased). I need to make sand dunes for a beach setting. I've got sand, I've got plaster, glue, etc., but what can I use to build up the dunes so that I'm not just layering on plaster after plaster after plaster...?

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jack

·
Registered
559 Posts
Jack,

Depending on the size and height that you need you could use a number of materials:
-The foam mentioned above or just scraps of polystyrene packaging material.
-Cut flat cardboard shapes glued on top of each other and covered with plaster for low dunes. Or you could also use MDF cut and contoured and plaster covered.
-Scrunched up and shaped aluminum foil, covered in plaster.
-If the dunes are really big then the traditional model railway method of shaped chicken wire, or small wire mesh, covered in plaster soaked tissue may be an alternative.

What ya building??

Alien
Todays Kiwi (New Zealand) Language Primer:
"hosing down" raining heavily

·
Registered
598 Posts
Pick up florist foam (comes in various shapes) and rigid plaster wrap at local hobby, craft, or WalMart Glue foam in place on ur board with carpenter's glue. Haven't tried hot glue so it might work too. Let it dry overnite then use even a kitchen paring knife to shape. Next, follow directions on the plaster wrap and let it dry a full day and nite before painting, etc. You want the foam to dry throughly under that dried wrap! I didn't remember to spray with primer before applying base coats and it looks fine.

I use railroad Scenic glue for adding the natural textures like grass, etc. Neat thing about the foam underneath plaster wrap is that both are easy to push in clumps of vegetation etc. without damage to surrounding landscape. Not to mention the whole completed project is light as a feather.

If I can get a decent pic of my Bates house and hill diorama I will come back and post or email. Best of luck !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts