Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 spoke #278 Race team Dragster. I can not find much if any information on it. I know it is a very rare variation but do not know how rare. I need to approximate value of it. I had a offer of $20, but truned it down.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I still do not understand why people come on these forums for prices ??? Its worth what a person is willing to pay and what you are willing to let it go for..... First post is always how much is this worth or how rare is this piece ... Well , if you own it it must not be too rare or pricey if its a HW still clamed up in a 1990s BP.....The first post is never, Hi my name is ??? I am new to this boardforum and I like to become a member and share what I like to collect and so forth. It seems lately we are having alot of people who only want to know what they own in value - which gets old ...

Well I will say this .... Welcome to the board :wave: and hopefully you will stick around and share what you like to collect. Alot of great people on the board who share the same passion.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
i still do not understand why people come on these forums for prices ??? Its worth what a person is willing to pay and what you are willing to let it go for..... First post is always how much is this worth or how rare is this piece ... Well , if you own it it must not be too rare or pricey if its a hw still clamed up in a 1990s bp.....the first post is never, hi my name is ??? I am new to this boardforum and i like to become a member and share what i like to collect and so forth. It seems lately we are having alot of people who only want to know what they own in value - which gets old ...

Well i will say this .... Welcome to the board :wave: And hopefully you will stick around and share what you like to collect. Alot of great people on the board who share the same passion.
well said!

·
Registered
834 Posts
I still do not understand why people come on these forums for prices ??? Its worth what a person is willing to pay and what you are willing to let it go for..... First post is always how much is this worth or how rare is this piece ... Well , if you own it it must not be too rare or pricey if its a HW still clamed up in a 1990s BP.....The first post is never, Hi my name is ??? I am new to this boardforum and I like to become a member and share what I like to collect and so forth. It seems lately we are having alot of people who only want to know what they own in value - which gets old ...

Well I will say this .... Welcome to the board :wave: and hopefully you will stick around and share what you like to collect. Alot of great people on the board who share the same passion.
Indeed!

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Welcome aboard from on new mwmber to another.
What I would recomend is looking on Southtexasdiecast.com and use that as a referance tool and also if you can, pick up a Lee's Toy Review, between the two of them they have helped me gauge what some of my cars are worth.
Another bit of advise, is that those prices should be used as guides, never a guarantee you will get those prices but it helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Eviltwin678!

Welcome aboard from on new mwmber to another.
What I would recomend is looking on Southtexasdiecast.com and use that as a referance tool and also if you can, pick up a Lee's Toy Review, between the two of them they have helped me gauge what some of my cars are worth.
Another bit of advise, is that those prices should be used as guides, never a guarantee you will get those prices but it helps.
Thanks for the tips Eviltwin678 and welcome to you also. That is all I needed and it is appreciated!

And to the others out there. WOW tough Board. So sorry I did not go by your proper forum protocol. I can honestly say it will not happen again.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
It is really not a tough board at all. Hope you don't get scared away. We all hope you stick around and share your passion for the hobby as we all do! Welcome!

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Thanks for the tips Eviltwin678 and welcome to you also. That is all I needed and it is appreciated!

And to the others out there. WOW tough Board. So sorry I did not go by your proper forum protocol. I can honestly say it will not happen again.
not a tough board but most of us are season collectors(ie old...lol) and we know when people are fishing.

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
Welcome To The Board ParkersHotwheels.:wave::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I don't know the true value, but as a dealer I would probably been very happy getting $10 for it. I can't say I remember seeing a 7sp dragster (or funny car). Usually they were basic wheels on the lighter blue colored ones, and 5sp on the darker blue ones.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Not a tough board at all, Sorry you may feel that way. If you are only here to obtain pricing / info about what you own your best bet is to look on eBay as that will tell you what another person is willing to pay for what you have.

If you are not here for only prices and you want to join the forum to share what you have and make friends then I will say Hello and Welcome :wave: to the HobbyTalk Board

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not a tough board at all, Sorry you may feel that way. If you are only here to obtain pricing / info about what you own your best bet is to look on eBay as that will tell you what another person is willing to pay for what you have.

If you are not here for only prices and you want to join the forum to share what you have and make friends then I will say Hello and Welcome :wave: to the HobbyTalk Board
Thanks,

I will try to post a picture soon. I have looked on ebay. I have looked at the toy peddler and have done a google search and nothing. Nothing for about a year so for. But, thanks to a suggestion given to me Lee's toys review has it listed at $90. I don't know how accurate that is, but it is the first place I have found anything on it. So at least I know it is not an error.

I am not here just to price check. I apologize if it appeared that way.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
A note about Ebay. There are a lot of crazies on Ebay who claim every item they sell to be "very rare" and are clueless to actual value. Just pay attention to selling prices, and not so much what sellers are charging. Because often times the asking prices are just unrealistic.

Welcome to HobbyTalk Parker, many have said this is the best board of it's kind on the net! We like to think so! :wave:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Thanks,

I will try to post a picture soon. I have looked on ebay. I have looked at the toy peddler and have done a google search and nothing. Nothing for about a year so for. But, thanks to a suggestion given to me Lee's toys review has it listed at $90. I don't know how accurate that is, but it is the first place I have found anything on it. So at least I know it is not an error.

I am not here just to price check. I apologize if it appeared that way.
First off, Welcome to the board. Im a pretty new member myself, and it is not a tough board at all. I think one of the things that I have learned is that truthfully it is whatever one is willing to pay. Even those price guides are not reliable. For instance LightningLane.com which is supposed to be the go to place for prices on White Lightning Johnny Lightning cars, is pretty out of date and not reflective of the current down market. I have been picking up cars that list there for $30-$40 for an average of $10 very frequently, and that is what I was willing to pay on ePay (frequently referred to that due to inflated prices on HW most of the time)

I have found that the best gauge of cash market value at the time is recent eBay sales. For collectors here, usually items do not carry the same cash value for instance:

I have a VW Beetle 2012 Super Treasure Hunt that I paid a dollar for. I can easily turn around and sell it for $40-$50 based on the current auctions and end prices for that car. If I post it to trade here, I would get laughed off the board if I asked to trade for $50 worth of other goods. I can expect to trade it for another Super Treasure Hunt which may be selling for $15-$20 on Ebay but it has a 1:1 value here. Unless it is truly something rare you would need to gauge what others are paying for the same item on various markets.

Another thing to keep in mind is that something valuable or rare, may sometimes be better used to trade for something else rare or to fill a hole, because I may be able to trade said beetle (or insert any other car) for something that is selling for $60-$70 dollars on Ebay, but still maintains that 1:1 value among collectors who understand what true rarity is and not just a lack of market saturation.

Anyway, that is how I have seen things from my perspective. Im not out to make a profit from my collection at this point, so a valuable car is more valuable to me as either eye candy, or to trade for something I may like even more down the line, or have been looking for. Sometimes just to help a friend out by trading them something they have been after for a long time is worth more in the long run than a few dollars more on a sale.

Sometimes there are cars that are just too valuable to not benefit from that good fortune as well though. This is not a anti-selling, anti-profiting board, it is just that it isn't the general belief in following the "mine is gold, yours is crap" mentality. although it does exist here and there.

Enough rambling and feel free to debate my opinions or observations, as they are always subject to debate and revision.

Welcome aboard and hope to see what you have and hear your tales.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First off, Welcome to the board. Im a pretty new member myself, and it is not a tough board at all. I think one of the things that I have learned is that truthfully it is whatever one is willing to pay. Even those price guides are not reliable. For instance LightningLane.com which is supposed to be the go to place for prices on White Lightning Johnny Lightning cars, is pretty out of date and not reflective of the current down market. I have been picking up cars that list there for $30-$40 for an average of $10 very frequently, and that is what I was willing to pay on ePay (frequently referred to that due to inflated prices on HW most of the time)

I have found that the best gauge of cash market value at the time is recent eBay sales. For collectors here, usually items do not carry the same cash value for instance:

I have a VW Beetle 2012 Super Treasure Hunt that I paid a dollar for. I can easily turn around and sell it for $40-$50 based on the current auctions and end prices for that car. If I post it to trade here, I would get laughed off the board if I asked to trade for $50 worth of other goods. I can expect to trade it for another Super Treasure Hunt which may be selling for $15-$20 on Ebay but it has a 1:1 value here. Unless it is truly something rare you would need to gauge what others are paying for the same item on various markets.

Another thing to keep in mind is that something valuable or rare, may sometimes be better used to trade for something else rare or to fill a hole, because I may be able to trade said beetle (or insert any other car) for something that is selling for $60-$70 dollars on Ebay, but still maintains that 1:1 value among collectors who understand what true rarity is and not just a lack of market saturation.

Anyway, that is how I have seen things from my perspective. Im not out to make a profit from my collection at this point, so a valuable car is more valuable to me as either eye candy, or to trade for something I may like even more down the line, or have been looking for. Sometimes just to help a friend out by trading them something they have been after for a long time is worth more in the long run than a few dollars more on a sale.

Sometimes there are cars that are just too valuable to not benefit from that good fortune as well though. This is not a anti-selling, anti-profiting board, it is just that it isn't the general belief in following the "mine is gold, yours is crap" mentality. although it does exist here and there.

Enough rambling and feel free to debate my opinions or observations, as they are always subject to debate and revision.

Welcome aboard and hope to see what you have and hear your tales.
Thanks and I completely agree with your opinions.

Like I said, I simply have never out of hundreds of auctions watched have seen one for sale. 5 spoke yes 7 spoke no. You would think that I would be able to find one somewhere at sometime. Does anyone here have this 1995 Dark Blue race team with 7 spokes?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I know I havent seen it before. I am not the most well versed or learn-ed on Hotwheels here so dont take my word as gospel, but it could be a rare variation. As to value, I havent a clue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New information!

Was at the Diecast.com regionals in Nashville and took the 7-spoke dragster with me. I was very happy to meet Michael Zarnock. He is a very nice guy and spent some time talking with me. I showed him the dragster and he said it was the first time he has seen one in person. He said he has not included it in one of his books yet because he said it is a very controversial peice. He was happy to see it and took alot of pictures of it. Anyways I thought I would share the info.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts