Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just setting up my first brushless system and wanted to know is there any way to shorten the sensor wires on the motor.

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
I have not heard of anybody doing that.

If you are good with your soldering equipment and can reuse or replace the gold connectors it's probably do-able.

I've wondered about shortening them before, but was concerned about making the position sensor wires the exact same length. Or if the length was even an issue.

Hmmmm....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sensor wires

Technically the length of the sensor wires really doesn't matter.

We don't recommend that people try to shorten those wires though because they are difficult to get reconnected/soldered back together properly.

I have seen some people cut sections out of the middle of their sensor harnesses and resolder/shrinkwrap the wires back together sucessfully... but I have also seen people do a very poor job of it and it causes problems with their systems.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Steve Weiss said:
Technically the length of the sensor wires really doesn't matter.

We don't recommend that people try to shorten those wires though because they are difficult to get reconnected/soldered back together properly.

I have seen some people cut sections out of the middle of their sensor harnesses and resolder/shrinkwrap the wires back together sucessfully... but I have also seen people do a very poor job of it and it causes problems with their systems.
Thats what I did. Cut some out of the middle. Resolder, and shrink wrap. Used the motor all year without a hitch!! Alot cleaner looking, and less clutter!

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
I cut mine and re shrink wrapped them after soldering it and it actually seemed like the motor was cooler and was faster. Just my thought.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I heated my wires up, and twisted them.. They stay together nice an neat..just like we use to do with servo wires..

Novak should offer a rewire kit for that.. All they would need is the connector, and the plugs for the connector.. we wouldnt even need to solder anything..Just like putting a new plug on a servo..

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I've seen similar connectors used in laptop computers and small electronic devices. I'm sure that you can find the parts to do it yourself online or at a good electronics store. I doubt Radio Shack would have what you need any more, but I bet a store like Frys Electronics might. I'm sure that this would void your warranty with Novak on the speed control if you used a different sensor wire harness.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
The connectors and terminals are common JST parts. You could get them off Digikey. You'll probably have to buy them 10 at a time for the housing and 100 at a time for the terminals. At most it'll still only cost $3-$5 total.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts