Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need info on ambroid liquid TUBE glue. I saw this stuff and want to know if it is the same as the ambroid pro-weld in the clear bottle ? this stuff is in a tube like the testors tube glue and has a brownish gold look to it. this is the 1st time i have seen it. what can anyone tell me about it. does it dry brown or clear ? Is it the same as ambroid pro-weld ?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't think it's the same. I have never used Pro-Weld but I can tell you that Ambroid tube glue does indeed dry a yellow color. I use it primarily for flying model rockets.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Ambroid tube glue is for wood not plastic. Its an old school nitro-cellulose formula. You can thin it with acetone and apply it with a brush (on wood) also. It is not for plastic. It does dry orangish too.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
skip it. I've tried it. Terrible stuff. Stick with the tenax or similar or even the Testors' tube whether it's the orange and white tube or the black hypo.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Actually Ambroid tube glue is excellent for flying models. Its only "terrible stuff" if you use it on the wrong material! I build many of my retro/nostalgia wood build ups using the stuff and its superior to the Testors wood cements.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
well there you go. Don't use it on styrene models. I wouldn't use tenax on a balsa or bass wood plane or dollhouse.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys ! the hobbyshop must have put it with the plastic cements by mistake. I wish they would put the pro-weld in a tube with the needle small applicator.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think it was Dave Metzner that said he uses regular ole' M.E.K. for his glue of choice on styrene. I picked up a whole quart can last weekend at my local home center for under $6 in the paint thinner/solvent section. He's 100% right! It works like a charm and at a full quart for under $6 it's way cheaper than Ambroid or Tenax. Thanks for the tip Dave :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I use that all the time now. Its funny a lot of people balk at it... saying "oh its hazardous" and "what will I do with a quart?" But MEK is the active ingredient in many glues... or they use similar solvents. If used with common sense its not an issue and its no worse than other household/hobby chemicals. As for the quantity... how many bottles of Tenax would you use a year? Those little 2? ounce bottles dont last long and half of it evaporates away. So for $4 per 2 ounce bottle you can see how much it would cost to buy a quart of Tenax...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts