Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started work on a resin kit of a haunted house. The parts fit wasn't exactly great and the instructions weren't all that helpful. As a result, I ended up forcing a lot of parts and using too much superglue and accelerator. By the time I went to put the roof on, nothing was lining up correctly.

Since I spent over $100 on this kit, I'm reluctant to just "let it go." I'd like to try to take it apart and reassemble it from the roof down, so I can get everything to line up before I put it back on the foundation.

I've practically soaked the thing in debonder, but it's really not coming apart too well--pieces snapping in half like crazy and so on.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Dinsdale :(

·
Starship Class
12,112 Posts
You might try using a fine saw to cut the pieces apart at the corners. First, however, I'd try to make it fit to the roof as is.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You can also bend resin parts by dipping them in hot (but not BOILING) water. The thinner the part, the faster it will soften and become bendable. You can dip it in cool water to set the new shape. This little trick may help you make things line up better.

Practice on some scrap resin from your kit to get the hang of it before trying it on your expensive model!

Huzz

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
On the resin models, can you use something to disolve super glue. I have not worded with super glues much and I do have a resin model I also need to fix.

·
Starship Class
12,112 Posts
Dave Hussey said:
You can also bend resin parts by dipping them in hot (but not BOILING) water. The thinner the part, the faster it will soften and become bendable. You can dip it in cool water to set the new shape. This little trick may help you make things line up better.

Practice on some scrap resin from your kit to get the hang of it before trying it on your expensive model!

Huzz
That trick works on styrene as well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You could also put the bonded parts in the freezer to chill. BE CAREFULL when attempting to separate the parts as the frozen resin also becomes brittle.

It sounds like you are going to have to use a razor saw the cut things apart if the glue debonder isn't working. You will very likely have to rebuild or 'cover' the areas that join together with strip styrene.

It sounds like the kit was not engineered too well to assist the modeler in building it. It's a shame that even the instructions do not offer assistance in aligning the wall panels at right angles.

Tongues, grooves, tabs, and sockets can be your friend, especially when designing and constructing the master for a kit.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Super glue debonder? Where do I get ,what is it called. I do not have a hobby shop near me so if I can get somewhere else, where?
Hey give me a break I just got back into modeling during the summer. Please.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Try hardware stores, home improvement, arts & crafts or department stores. It's pretty much called "super glue debonder", so you already got the name correct. :)

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
This is just a suggestion, but once you get the kit stripped down to a 'start-over' point, why don't you set it aside and practice with a cheaper kit.
For a house I'd suggest The PL Bates Mansion. This was the first dwelling kit I ever did. To be honest, I wasn't that enthused at first (oh boy, a model house - whoopie) but once I dug in it was a hell of a lot of fun. This kit is engineered very well, great fitting and nice detail. An ideal kit to hone your dry-brushing, washing and shading skills.

The Addams house is more complex with the fitting, especially the shingled roof sections, but also a fun kit. (I took a mulligan on building that stupid Ghost mechanism).

Hell - you can probably pick up either of these kits on Ebay for $10 Bucks.
Then when you get the technique down, attack the big-buck resin kit.

Good luck
JB

·
Registered
317 Posts
Lloyd -

You'll be able to purchase the super glue debonder through Micromark.
I've never used it on resin parts, but it works great when detaching your index finger from your thumb.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys,

Thanks for the advice. It's starting to come apart.

Jimmy, I had already built both PL houses and was very pleased with the way they turned out, which was why I thought I could handle this one. I am quickly finding out that resin is a whole new ball game.

Dinsdale :wave:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts