Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I've been modeling now for a number of years, and want to get into scratch building. My problem is I have no idea where to start, where to get supplies or what supplies I'll need.

What I'm looking at build are the interior sets from Star Trek. Like Enterprise D's bridge, Engineering etc.

Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The first rule of scratch building is that there are no rules. If a part from a washing machine looks like a bridge console part, then use it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Not sure I should repsond, but what the hay!

I have done little in the way of scratch building, but a couple of things I've learned from sessions at Sci-Fi U is that nothing is off limits and let your imagination be your guide. Break the subject down into basic geometric shapes and work on the details later. Try to pick a medium you feel comfortable with, as an example Joe Brown loves to use foam, and free form approach, were other people get the drafting board out and draw out detailed 3D plans that they build off of. Start with something simple and build on your successes, just try to remember - How do you eat an elephant, a little at a time.........

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree. Dave's article on scratchbuilding the Dove is very informative. I hope he gets back to finishing it one of these days.

James

·
Registered
373 Posts
There are so many areas to explore but you can start with using sheet styrene to build stuff You are already familiar with the stuff and have the tools and glue to use it.

Later on you can get into other materials and methods

Alex
Styrofoam Guy

·
Registered
39 Posts
one quick tip i can give is just about where to get sheet styrene... i have a friend that works at a sign shop, and he brinsg home scraps, and rejects. (the erjects have some screen printig on them, but who cares )

this may be a moot point for most, but its what i have to offer.

·
Registered
877 Posts
jwrjr said:
The first rule of scratch building is that there are no rules. If a part from a washing machine looks like a bridge console part, then use it.
Lego works too and they are LED friendly

Jack

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
And if it doesn't look like it, don't use it. A bottle with crap glued to it and painted silver looks like a bottle with crap glued to it and painted silver.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
OK who let the ringer in?

check out Robert Hargrave's progress page on building up the Jupiter 2. Lots of techniques there may apply to building trek bridges. It's discussed in this thread.

Definitely get some sheet styrene and start playing with it. Check your local hobby shop.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
For Sale signs come in varying sizes and thicknesses. They are usually made of styrene and cost less than the little sheets you find at your hobby shop. The only drawback I've found is it does not work for vacuforming. The printed areas do not melt or stretch at the same rate.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Two hints:

1. Make sure you have drawings of your subject that are the same size as the model you are making.

2. The best way to make a great scratch built model - is to do a lousy one first, and learn how not to do things.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Rule 2 also goes for somebody just starting out with lighting. Start with something expendable so that when you make a mistake (not if) it is no big thing. At least you learn what not to do next time.

·
Starship Class
11,837 Posts
terryr said:
And if it doesn't look like it, don't use it. A bottle with crap glued to it and painted silver looks like a bottle with crap glued to it and painted silver.
LOL! Good one!
:roll:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts