Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be racing a 10th scale Losi slider sprint car at my track in the 17.5 rookie class. I already have a Tekin redline 17.5 brushless motor I just need help picking out a good strong reliable ESC to run it.
I plan on running 2S 20C 5000mah lipo's and we race with foams.

I've had people suggest a Novak GTB but will that run the Tekin motor OK and I see so many used ones for sale which scares me. If they are that good then why is everyone trying to sell theres?:confused:

What other options/ESC's do I have to choose from?

Thanks for the help.
Bill

·
Registered
691 Posts
GTB's are for sale because they lack advanced timing features (A new Novak ESC is on the way). As long as you take care of it, the GTB is a very reliable choice that should run very well in the class you mentioned.

Ii you need more timing options when you move up a class, pick up a Novak Ballistic motor. The timing the GTB lacks can be put in on the Ballistic. Plus you can just change stators to convert your Ballistic to whatever wind motor you happen to need and replacements are $30.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
transambill,

You said you are going to be racing in a NOVICE class - not knowing your driving skill level, nor your budget level, the cool thing with the NOVAK ESC's right now is they are very affordable, and offer plenty of Power and Reliability.

As motors go, the 17.5 motors are on the lower end of the horsepower spectrum which allows many of the more economy line of ESC's to also work just fine.

If you are looking for something that is not used, but offered at a great price, check out NOVAK's Remanufactured products as well - NOVAK REMAN. BRUSHLESS ESC's - It's hard to beat this kind of pricing (With a warranty)

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Novak - very easy to use limited adjustability.
LRP - more complicated, and way more adjustability that the Novak.
Tekin - Even more complicated, even more adjustable than the LRP.

They are all fast, and can compete with each other. The biggest diff is how involved you want to get with the setup. As stated above the LRP and Tekin's are more customizable to the track conditions, so they may be a little better, but for a new person they can be very frustrating. All have great customer service as well, so you cant go wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I would say that the tekin is not complicated if you get the hot wire. Easy to adjust, just plug into your lap top and change your settings. Also it has the ability to be updated to new firmware down the road if tekin finds something faster.

If I were you I would think about if this is going to be a serious hobby or you are just going to go out and run occasionally. If its going to be serious buy the best speed control you can now as it will grow with you and you wont be coming back in 6 months and buying a new speed control. If you are just going to run occasionally then get what is a reasonable price. If there are a lot of Novaks out there used, for a good price grab one. they do work well, just not as adjustable as some of the others.

Personally I would not buy any speed control that does not have the ability to be updated by a computer. Why spend a bunch of $$ for something that may be obsolete shortly without any way to update it. I have heard Novak will have this capability shortly. I think KO has it, Tekin does and so does CC, although they dont offer sensored speed controls right now.

John

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I raced a ERBE and a box stock SLASH this past summer and finished second in points in both classes for the year so I'm not a total newby.
I've just never raced a sprint car before and was told it's a lot harder class/car to learn to race with.

My track has a 17.5 10.5 and an open class so I figured to stay out of the better drivers way untill my skills improve I would start in the 17.5 class and work my way up.

I would like to go with CC because of the experience I have with them useing my ERBE but I'm also use to dealing with 8th scale and this smaller stuff is still new to me.
Which CC ESC would you guys recommend?

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
if you are going to run 17.5 you really need a sensored speed control. ie novak, LRP, Tekin, KO... I dont think CC makes a sensored speed control yet, could be wrong as I have not checked for a while. the tekin hot wire is similar to the CC castle link, but the graphics are not quite as good.

I have all CC stuff for my 1/18 and 1/8, but run Tekin for my 1/10th. Would buy a RX8 if my MMM ever goes out.

John

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm going with the Tekin RS. It'll run anything and can stay with it when I'm ready to move up to the 10.5 class.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts