Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First up, thank you for assisting me with this question. I have a collection of Playart cars, but can not find any information online as to why they have no interiors, and look like they do. I did see one of them on Ebay, but there was no description.

Any information greatly appreciated
Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I've seen a multi pack of those cheap hollow Playarts before, but I can't remember the extra name that was on them. I thought is was 'speedster', but apparently not.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Are these smaller scale? They look a lot like the Tootsietoys back in the 1970s (and some of the Mini Marx as well). It could be they were produced to go after that market segment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the follow up. Its strange i can not find anything like them anywhere on the internet. May just have to settle for being curious.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Cref,

Playart cars were marketed under different series names depending on the retail chain they were sold at. As an example, Peelers were only available via Woolworths/Woolco. These 1:64 Scale Playarts were also sold as Fast Wheels, Super Speeders, and Tiny Mites. There are also some black boxes with Japanese writing, similar to Tomica's black box era that were tested in the Japan/Asian market.....those are quite rare.

To the best of my knowledge the hollow cars which are closer to 1:87 scale did not have any distinctive series names and were sold on various types of blistercards, depending on where they were being sold - US, UK etc.

Regards,
Steve

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
Mid-to-late 70s on the "pie" wheeled ones. Early-to-mid 80s on the other one. At least, that's the time periods those wheels were used on the 1:64th scale Playarts.

·
Registered
325 Posts
As has been said they were sold under various names at Woolworth's they were called Peelers Mini Super Speedsters by Playart.

NUMBER ONE REASON TO COLLECT DIECAST : ENJOYMENT !!!
SO KEEP ON ENJOYING,
Dan (Zeezeerider)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts