Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found this one by a tree in a neighbors yard. inside says "PAT. 277584" i believe those are the numbers, i can check again, the "8" is really hard to see. thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Looks like you're close if not right on it brother Mike :thumbsup:
this doesnt have red paint though like a firetruck would have, also i looked through some of the vintage diecast firetrucks and they look different in design (when you compare them).

we dont have many clues here, what we do have is the light green paint, and the pat. numbers but those probably wont be any help. one thing i did notice that was odd, was the wheels are actually inside.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I see what you mean about the green paint.

In the 1st pic it looks like the rear of a '40s European sports-cabriolet with a spare tire molded onto the trunk.

But the other views kinda confuse me!

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I see what you mean about the green paint.

In the 1st pic it looks like the rear of a '40s European sports-cabriolet with a spare tire molded onto the trunk.

But the other views kinda confuse me!
You are correct in your assumption of it being a sports cabriolet.

I actually found a pic of it.

For some unknown reason i lost the ability to cut/paste links on this computer.

I think that the patent number covers everything that the company did.

mike

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Hey...now that's straight shoot'n, Snake.
Bull's Eye!

It took the 3 of us but we got it.

Mike said Tootsie Toy Fire Truck.
You went with Tootsie Toy, but you said "wait, but it's green".
Then add the '40s cabriolet/cnvt. factor, and you brought it home.

Good team work :thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey...now that's straight shoot'n, Snake.
Bull's Eye!

It took the 3 of us but we got it.

Mike said Tootsie Toy Fire Truck.
You went with Tootsie Toy, but you said "wait, but it's green".
Then add the '40s cabriolet/cnvt. factor, and you brought it home.

Good team work :thumbsup:
haha yeah ikr, too bad it wasnt the whole car, i wonder how it couldve broke like that..? thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Now what can be done to use this mystery piece? Combine it with the Hotwheels Harvey Diddlsum motorcycle and you can have a cool old Servcycle.It could be a gas station bike,or an ice cream wagon.Just google some old Harley servicycle pix for ideas. Just my opinion based on too much coffee this morning.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
It does slightly resemble an Hardly Drivable 3-whl Servicycle!

Also, you could probably find a complete Tootsie Toy of this release for a few bucks.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
haha yeah ikr, too bad it wasnt the whole car, i wonder how it couldve broke like that..? thanks everyone for the help.
that was one of the easier ones you posted.The patent number was a great lead.

these old midgetoys,tootsie toys,etc,were made of pot metal.The other end of the spectrum from solid gold.

its an alloy of cheap metals,pretty much thrown into a pot like the name says,and melted together.

A lot of times there are impurities in one of the metals and over time they crumble into dust.

Some hotwheels had this problem in i believe '71 or '72 that crumbled almost right away.

The metal detector hobby is interesting.

my son got a cheapo one for christmas almost 20 years ago,but it still worked pretty well.

We had a lot of fun with it that summer.Seems like where ever you look you would find something,even if it was a an old lock washer or rusty nail.

good times.

mike

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I could see finding rings, especially gold(!) and old-ass coins would be a real kick.

You always see old guys on coastal beaches up here with metal detectors.

I wouldn't mind trying it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts