Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t encountered this before so here I am for help and advise once again. I have this fantastic base for one of my figure kits and one of the parts is cast rather thin and for some reason has warped. Don’t know what caused it, probably something I did I’m sure. It’s been stored in the closet since I got it about 4 months ago. Anyway, I am wondering if you guys could offer any advice on how I might correct this problem without damaging it. I could try to build a replacement from scratch but would really like to use the part itself if I can.

Thanks in advance!

A.U.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Fix up a bowl with some ice water and a sauce pan with boiling water. Dip the part (carefully with tongs) in the boiling water. Resin will get soft and pliable. If it doesnt go back into shape itself its easy to manipulate. Then dip it in the cold water to "set" it. Left to cool on its own it may go back to the warped shape.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fix up a bowl with some ice water and a sauce pan with boiling water. Dip the part (carefully with tongs) in the boiling water. Resin will get soft and pliable. If it doesnt go back into shape itself its easy to manipulate. Then dip it in the cold water to "set" it. Left to cool on its own it may go back to the warped shape.
Thanks guys! I'll give this a shot tonight and let you know how it works.

A.U.

·
Curmudgeon
6,603 Posts
Just an FYI. In my experience thin resin parts will occasionally want to return to their "warped" shape even after you've cooled them using this technique, so you may have to do this more than once before the part permanently "locks in" to it's original non-warped shape.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Yes that can happen sometimes. Its usually not a problem if the part in question glues to other parts too. I had some warped hatches for a 1/16 scale Chi-Ro tank that were curled up like tree leaves. A dip in hot water flattened them out... and when I glued them in place on the tank, the surrounding contact area with the turret kept them flat.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the advise.:thumbsup:

I used the hot/cold water trick and it did help to correct the warp issue with the part.

A.U.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts