Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at the decaling stage my Reliant model, i have Jeff's Miranda decals for the ship, i just seem to be having a b*tch of a time with the red lines....they fold, break apart and basically do everything except slide onto the surface.

Is there something i'm doing wrong? Am i cutting too close to the graphic itself? i've always put some Micro Sol on the model itself before decal application....

Please help me, it's driving me insane!

Thanks
Rich

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Not sure what others may have to say on this subject but when I built my Reliant I had the same thing happen, so after I applied the first area and had several problems I then cut the pin stripes into parts applied one section let it dry then applied the next section with each new section I let the new piece slightly overlap the last piece applied. I did this on the areas around the bridge, and the two engineering wells. The roll bar pinstripes were applied in one piece. For the stripes along the saucer I applied the ships name and registry numbers first, then cut down the pin stripes in length to fit the area and did not cut the two upper and lower stripes apart so the gap between the two sections would be the same. Yes it was a wide piece of decal film but after the dull coat was applied it vanished. Micro scale also makes a decal film you brush onto your decals this makes them stronger, I brush this on my older decals or when applying stripes to my Ho-Scale locomotives. Check out my version of the Reliant below.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2636/reliant1yz8.jpg

·
Registered
500 Posts
From experaince from cutting the pinstripes from full film printed decal sheets is to use lots of water to float it into place. Once there..start bloting up the excess water with cotten diaper rags or Q' tips swabs. Use your setting solutions and solvents after it is secure in place. Let it dry or move onto another area to decal as it drys.

Another good trick when cutting the decal from the full film sheets is to score though the clear film as close as you can to the image area. Use a fresh sharp #11 blade. Then cut the area 1/4 inch around it with knife or sissors. Then soak the decal and if it starts to curl in the water wait and let it start to uncurl. Then remove the decal from the water.

The next step is to immediatly remove the unprinted area of decal film. With your sharp knife blade hook into it and pull it away [weed(ing) as they say in the sticker print bussiness]. That scored image area will still lay on the paper in place just like a kit decal... now with some room to manuver.

Get that image decal paper of the pinstripe wet with more water onto the paper and on the models image area with a clean brush and then slide and float it off the paper and into place onto the model like a raft.

Don't rush your decaling....your model is nearly done after weeks of work, impatience will byte you in the end.

DLM

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robert, Don,

Thanks for the advice, i'm going to attempt these methods today.
You are so right Don.....i did feel like i was rushing a bit....so close to the end too!

I'll post some pics when i'm finished.

Rich

1 - 4 of 4 Posts